Power Steering indexing

socaljeff3798

I had to change the power steering as the input shaft was bent. My question is does the steering shaft have to be in a particular location? I know there are marks on the splines where the steering wheel goes. Is that important?

Ross

Goblin Guru
My 06 steering shaft has one wide spline, so it only goes together one way.
I know that if you have 2 U joints on a shaft, that they can be indexed to work together, or work against each other. At high angles a U joint will have a fast/slow pattern on each rotation. With 2 high angle U joints correctly clocked, the end shaft will be without the fast/slow harmonic.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I had to change the power steering as the input shaft was bent. My question is does the steering shaft have to be in a particular location? I know there are marks on the splines where the steering wheel goes. Is that important?
Turn the rack all the way to one stop, then turn it all the way to the other stop while counting the number of turns - (it help if the shaft is marked). Divide that number in half and rotate the shaft that number to get the rack centered. If you're shaft has a wide spline, position it to correspond to the steering shaft so your steering wheel is level and centered up.

socaljeff3798

Thank you Sir. I get that part.
My question is there a certin place the power steering has to be before you install the auxiliary shaft.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Not from what I've read so far. The gear in the steering box is self centering, meaning it has no 'zero point. The power assist turns the box gear in the direction the steering wheel is turned to only add the assist. Otherwise it runs as a straight thru box without the power assist.
I have a 'new' steering box that I will be installing myself, not the one from my donor.