Pre-Build Thread... The Goblin Journey

PaulPerger

I am not yet creating a Build Log as it will be a year or more before I start actually building. But, I did buy my donor. I have decided to record my journey in VLOG form. I have never vlogged before, so it is a little rough around the edges, but here is my first installment...

Over the next year I will do a video for any mods I do and when I order my Goblin I will start a build log and put these videos in the first few posts.

PaulPerger

Just got official word from Mr. Adam Doyle that my order is confirmed. I asked if it would be possible to get frame #317 and it is official. Frame #317 will be mine!! That is still a ways off but since I originally planned to start building in the Fall of 2021, Summer of 2021 will be just fine for my timeline.

My current race number is #31 and when there is a conflict I run #317. So, my Goblin's racing number was going to be #317 all along, and now the chassis# will also be #317.

It's the little things that make me smile! ;)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Cool. If I would have thought ahead I would have loved 182, because 982 is my CMRA (motorcycle) race number, and that has now trickled to 82 as my scca autocross race number. I will live with 184, I guess. There are worse things in the world. :D

PaulPerger

It's been a while since I posted here, but a LOT has been going on in my life...

As noted above, I placed my order back in December. I reserved #317, so if you've been following where production is right now, I should be super excited to be receiving my kit any time now. However... Life took some curves. Hard ones.

Trish and I are adopting our Granddaughter. That is old news. The adoption was supposed to be complete early in June, but that didn't happen.

In February we got a call from the Police and my other daughter was in some trouble with the law and we wound up with another Grandchild in the house.

Trish, Zelda and I are moving to Florida. That is old news. Now MacKenna, my other Granddaughter, and my Mother In Law will also be moving with us to Florida.

New NEWS!! I got a great job in Fort Lauderdale. I started on April 26. Remember how we were supposed to adopt Zelda in June... I took the job thinking it would only be a few weeks until we could ALL move to Florida. Bad news... Zelda's adoption court date was moved to AUGUST 25th! That means our family is split up... Me in Florida, family still in Ohio.

We bought a house in Florida with a HUGE Garage!! YEAH!!! I have PLENTY of space to build my Goblin!! It is a long story, but the finance company screwed me over and I had to raid my Goblin Fund to finalize the purchase. Good News... I'll be able to refill that fund as soon as we sell the house in Ohio, but we can't do that until after August 25th.

Here is where DF Goblin came through in a big way. I called them, explained what was going on and they agreed to hold my frame number for me until I sell my house. Definitely an advantage to working with a small family company who actually cares about their customers!!

Thank You DF!!

PaulPerger

It's been a while, but I have news to share...
First, the adoption went through without a hitch, thanks to those of you who sent prayers, well wishes, good vibes, etc. Zelda is now officially, Zelda Lee Perger.

The following weekend I moved my family down to Florida to be with me!! Having them all here has been awesome.

Unfortunately, while we were unloading the truck, in fact while carrying the ONLY piece of furniture that was "BE VERY CAREFUL, DO NOT DROP OR SCRATCH", I proceded to fall of the back of the truck. I shattered the wrist end of my Radius (the larger of the two bones in the forearm), cracked my Ulna (the smaller bone) and cracked three of the six bones in the Ossa Carpalia (the bones between your forearm and your hand).

Needless to say, my wife's beautiful, and very precious to her, makeup vanity didn't fair well. Luckily she loves me more than the furniture!

I'd post photos, but they aren't very pretty.

We ran into a few issues getting out house on the market, but it is NOW LISTED!! And we had five showings scheduled within the first six hours!! Hopefully we get an offer soon!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Wow, hope you're okay and guessing a surgery was involved with your fall. Get well soon. Very glad to hear your family adoption went well and give Zelda a hug from the rest of her - now adopted - Goblin family.

Hopefully the house will sell quickly and you get a good price. I recently sold and had 8 offers in 1 day, sold for more than list price.

Keep us posted and more prayers to you and your family for a speedy recovery.

PaulPerger

Wow, hope you're okay and guessing a surgery was involved with your fall. Get well soon. Very glad to hear your family adoption went well and give Zelda a hug from the rest of her - now adopted - Goblin family.

Hopefully the house will sell quickly and you get a good price. I recently sold and had 8 offers in 1 day, sold for more than list price.

Keep us posted and more prayers to you and your family for a speedy recovery.
Thanks. I am doing very well, all things considered. And believe it or not, no surgery needed!!

I am a high risk surgical patient, so I avoid surgery at all costs. The doctors put my fingers in some chinese finger locks, suspended my arm from them, gave me some sleepy juice and then a nurse pushed down on my arm while a doctor massaged my wrist bones back into place. My son said he could hear the bones moving around. Then they put a crutch looking thing (for lack of better verbiage) between my arm and my hand and strapped me to it to hold the length and keep it all in place. X-rayed it to make sure everything looked good. A week later we removed the odd temporary contraption that was holding everything in place and xrayed it again. Everything looked good except for one little piece of bone which will have to be removed at a later time after everything completely heals back to hard bone. A very solid, very movement limiting cast was next for four weeks, and then four weeks of a "normal" cast, and now I am cast free. I have about 80% of my range of movement and about 20% of my strength. Both should improve drastically with use.

So, now that the house is on the market and I'll be able to complete my Goblin purchase soon, it is time to prepare for demolition of the Orange beast.

PaulPerger

Time for a new update to this thread...

We are in contract on the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I contacted DF a week ago and let them know that I can be put back in line again, as I will have the funds to pay for my Goblin by the time I need to make final payment. Frame #317 will hit the floor around March.

We are scheduled to close on January 7th. I am spending this weekend preparing my garage for the demolition of the Orange beast. I will do some painting and some shelf building to clear out some storage space for the parts, etc that will be removed from the donor.

2022 is going to be a GOOD year!

PaulPerger

November 1, 2020 I started this post, and after many delays I can finally say things are beginning to move forward!!

I just got the email telling me Stewart Transportation would be reaching out to me to pay for the shipping with expected ship date of late March. So, things are finally starting to come together on this project and I am VERY Excited!!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Good news on the pending kit shipping. How's your recovery from the surgery? And just as important, how is Zelda doing with her new home? :D Hope she is adapting to her new life with you and your family. And did the house sale go okay?

PaulPerger

Good news on the pending kit shipping. How's your recovery from the surgery? And just as important, how is Zelda doing with her new home? :D Hope she is adapting to her new life with you and your family. And did the house sale go okay?
Thanks for asking...

Surgery didn't happen. We rolled the dice and avoided surgery. My wrist is slightly bigger as a result (I know because I had to put links back into metal watch bracelets), but I have full use of it and thus far, no issues at all!

Zelda and MacKenna are doing very well. They have both bonded with Trish and I and Trish is now "Mom". I am still "Papa". In our neighborhood there are several Hispanic families and the kids Zelda goes to school with all call their dads "Papa", so it's natural for her. To be honest, I like Papa better anyway!

The house sale went without issue, we almost doubled our money on the sale after 10 years, so all is very well. We are contracting to put in a new Privacy Fence, a play area for the girls, a big pool / patio and an outdoor tropical garden paradise in our backyard for all of us to enjoy. It's going to be a year FULL of BIG projects!!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Wow! It is good to hear that everything is going well and the house sale was profitable - house moves with a family can be very stressful. Hopefully you will get time to apply to your Goblin build. ;)
We got into our new house, I am plowing thru the honey-do list, and someday in the not too distant future my 2 1/2 year old Goblin, still in boxes and a bare frame, will get some of my time.