Prepping Fiberglass Hood

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
For those of you who have experience painting the hood, I'd like to get your feedback on how you went about prepping the hood (with specifics - grits, wet sand and/or dry, steps taken, type of primer etc.)

How was the gelcoat?

Thanks in advance!

@Karter2026 , @AleX1/9 -- I see you guys painted your own, any help?

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
The gelcoat was not bad, I have seen a lot worse.

I went around and 220 grit any spots that looked high or extra resin drops Use a block so you do not get finger indentations from sanding. Finished the hood with 400 grit then Primer. I used Axlta (duPont) 2 part epoxy primer. Blocked it with 400 again then base coat and clear.

80% of the beautiful finish is in the prepwork. If you can find it Axlta generic brand is Nason Lots cheaper than Axlta with still a good finish product.

Paint is not cheap

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I used a mouse sander with 120 grit first, then 220 grit. Just a very light sanding.
Wiped with alcohol to clean the dust off.
Rustoleum enamel primer - two coats
Rustoleum enamel satin for top coat
I sanded in between all the coats with 220 grit - except for the last top coat on the colors.
Rustoleum satin clear - three coats. Lightly sanded after the first two coats.

Since I chose satin, it gave me a little more room for imperfections. Gloss just shows everything.

My boys told me I would never make it look good doing it in our garage. Somehow, I was able to prove them wrong. ;)