Programming keys

DanPerryy

If this is posted already let me know and I will delete it. I copied this from another site - I had to make (add) some duplicate keys the other day.

30-Minute Vehicle Key Relearn

Important: This procedure will only relearn the vehicle keys. It will deactivate all keys. This procedure will not learn the start enable password.

Do not use this procedure as a substitute for a 10-minute relearn when replacing or reprogramming a TDM or ECM. Doing so will result in a failure to learn the start enable password. Dan says: I have no idea what this means, When I replaced a ECU I just put the new ECU in the Goblin and did the 30 minute relearn. It worked just fine.

This 30-minute learn procedure should be used when all vehicle keys are desired to be replaced or reprogrammed. This procedure will erase all previously learned vehicle keys from the TDM. Once the 30-minute learn procedure has been completed, any remaining vehicle keys may be programmed using the Adding Keys procedure to ensure their continued functionality.

With an unlearned master vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Observe the security indicator, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
Important: The TDM learns the key transponder information upon the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

With the newly created master vehicle key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information.
If additional keys are required to be learned, refer to Adding Keys.

With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

Adding Keys
Important:
• To initiate, this procedure requires that a learned master key be available.
• A total of 10 master keys or valet keys may be programmed to a single vehicle.
• This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.
• The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key. Dan says “really?”
• If more than one valet key is to be learned, immediately precede each valet key with a learned master key.

With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.

DanPerryy

By the way, I bought key blanks online and took them to Walmart - they cut them at NO charge!!!

Last edited: