PyroGuy's '08 SS/TC Build - #208 - REGIRSTERED!

PyroGuy923

Just picked up a 2008 SS from IAA in Tuscon, AZ and had it shipped to Cincinnati, OH. Still need to order my kit but looking to get the standard chassis, full cage, and full door bars.

Going to be a few weeks before I start teardown but I wanted to do something so I decided to give her a bath.

And then debadged it.

And started to paint correct the hood

PyroGuy923

Been working on cleaning up the garage before starting on the Goblin.

All cleared

New shelf that my table saw can go under. Left will be for a mobile workstation that power tools will be able to sit in.

And how the workbench side started.

Took out the upper cabinets, shortened the workbench, and started a custom shelving unit.

Raw unit

And custom built doors

Main cabinet done, trimmed out, and painted

Outside done

Put electric in the unit so I can plug batter chargers and stuff in.

Slide out shelf for power tools done

Electric by the end of the workbench.

Still need to build a new workbench but will be big enough that this bad boy will fit under it.

Hope to have it done in the next 2 weekends so I can actually start disassembling the donor.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
We should have good amount of goblins in Ohio soon, wonder who's going to be the first to go through the title process.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Welcome, and that's a nice-looking donor. If one of my LNF wheels hadn't been destroyed, I'd have probably kept them for my Goblin.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Welcome!
All your prep work before starting the project will pay off for sure.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Pyro, welcome to the family. Organization doing this project is very important, along with making sure you label EVERYTHING - which I am sure you have read or been told many time already. :D

PyroGuy923

Tool chest showed up yesterday. Plan on taking the caster wheels off, putting it on heavy-duty furniture movers that are only 1.5 inchs tall, then building a workbench around it.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Wait till you put all your tools in that. About a year ago I upgraded from a box similar in size to what you had. to one a little bigger than your new one. I still open every drawer looking for something. It is like a Easter egg hunt every day.

PyroGuy923

Wait till you put all your tools in that. About a year ago I upgraded from a box similar in size to what you had. to one a little bigger than your new one. I still open every drawer looking for something. It is like a Easter egg hunt every day.
I'm thinking about getting the labels but I only have enough tools to fill maybe 1/2 of it. Also not sure I like the look of the stickers on the outside.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Looking good, you will have that bench buried in no time once you start. I have parts all over my shop right now.
Upgrade those screwdrivers when you can. The handles off-gas the most putrid smell when they get older and that **** sticks I, your toolbox forever.

PyroGuy923

Looking good, you will have that bench buried in no time once you start. I have parts all over my shop right now.
Upgrade those screwdrivers when you can. The handles off-gas the most putrid smell when they get older and that **** sticks I, your toolbox forever.
I’ve had the screwdrivers for over 10 years now. Haven’t had any issues with them

PyroGuy923

Started to tear into the Colbalt today since I took the day off work. Once I got the radiator and AC condenser off noticed the 2 brackets circled are bent. Are they needed to bolt to the Goblin chassis? Car was in a front end wreck.
76090AD5-C883-4DFF-BABE-6B7430A7A00B.jpeg

PyroGuy923

Well, got a new radiator and put it in. Wanted to make sure it was able to get to temp and everything worked.

Was burning white smoke but running fine. Grabbed my dads scanner, cleared the codes, and now I can get it to run without flooring it.
Pretty sure the head gasket is blown.
Codes were for MAF, and cylinder 3/4 misfire. Throwing so soot water out the exhaust too it’s been washed and not really ran in at least 3 months.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Pyro, do me a favor. if you have not completely disassembled the hoses to your engine, please take some photos of the heater hoses for the oil heat exchanger, the thermostat housing and the heater core (on the firewall). I am trying to remember what went were and I didn't get any good photos of these. Thanks.