QA1 Shock Valving

ATMironov

I'm trying to figure out the range of spring weights the supplied QA1 Shocks are valved for.
I called QA1 and the guy I spoke to didn't seem to get the question and told me the socks can take between 100 and 800lb springs.
I am highly skeptical that the valving has that large of a range. I get the feeling he was just telling me the available spring rates for that size of shock.
I would expect a 200lb range or so.

So, with that being said, does anyone actually know the valving range for the QA1s?

I'm trying to track down the same info for the BC Racing BR coilovers, but they are not picking up the phone.. but at least on their website they say they can provide custom valving.

socaljeff3798

I beleive the springs in the kit are 300 on all for corners. But I could be wrong. If you are racing I would guess you would want a diffent shock spring package than for the street. So its apples and oranges to a large extent

ATMironov

I beleive the springs in the kit are 300 on all for corners. But I could be wrong. If you are racing I would guess you would want a diffent shock spring package than for the street. So its apples and oranges to a large extent
Right, and that's what I'm trying to figure out. How much spring can I put on the shock before the shock will no longer react correctly.

Dsteinhorst

The shocks have adjustable valving for this reason. You can get double adjustable shocks from QA1 like some have.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I would ask QA1 if they have shock dyno graph for our model shock.
Just found this and watching it for any insight.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
When using donor struts, the QA1 coilovers for the front of the Goblin were shipped with 300lb springs. When optioned with the BC Racing coilovers in the rear use the 300lb springs and 400lb springs are used up front instead. These are the as shipped kit contents and configuration; many of us have since deviated from the aforementioned baseline.

ATMironov

The shocks have adjustable valving for this reason. You can get double adjustable shocks from QA1 like some have.
The valve adjustment is most definitely not for adjusting the shock to various spring rates. it adjusts compression and rebound speeds.
Shocks are valved to dampen springs in a certain range. If you keep going stiffer eventually the shock can't stop the spring from bouncing.

I think its likely I'll be up in the 600lb range, an I want to see if these shocks will preform correctly at the rate.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
The valve adjustment is most definitely not for adjusting the shock to various spring rates. it adjusts compression and rebound speeds.
Shocks are valved to dampen springs in a certain range. If you keep going stiffer eventually the shock can't stop the spring from bouncing.

I think its likely I'll be up in the 600lb range, an I want to see if these shocks will preform correctly at the rate.
Edit: Sorry this link might work better.

Last edited: