Quarter Mile Times

AS1xReign

Anybody have any data on the fastest quarter mile time for a goblin yet? Im wondering if it would be possible to get into the 8s. I feel like traction would be an issue more than anything since its lightweight.

KSLunsfo

Not sure if you've seen this 1320 video yet. Justin Reed runs a 10.68 on what was supposedly his first drag run.

AS1xReign

So im guessing 10.68 is the fastest so far then. And thats alot of spinning. Probably part of the problem with getting it to go fast is theres just no weight to get it to hook up. Maybe go wider tires. Im not really sure what you could do.

KSLunsfo

He has the highest powered car that I know of out there anyway... My gut feeling says he could easily be in the 9's with a few practice runs without changing anything on the car assuming that was his first run.

AS1xReign

Well I was just curiously looking at some Calcs for Quarter times and it says you could run high 8s with 400 whp at 1500 lbs. Taken with a grain of salt. I was just putting my curiousity out there.

AS1xReign

I guess the other question I have is the track chassis required to go to the drag strip. For everyday driving I think the city chassis looks tons better, but I wouldn't wanna get that and not be able to take it to the track.

KSLunsfo

I wish I could answer that one... I know I've heard some tracks require full cages. I also think it depends how fast you go, which 8's or 9's even would probably require full gear, cage etc etc.... at certain tracks. To an extent, it may be on a track by track basis. I opted for track frame, but I felt the same way as you in that I do like the look of the city frame.

AS1xReign

It would be nice if they had a way that you could remove it when not needed but that probably doesnt meet the reg's required to be a full cage.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If you run faster than 13.49 in a convertible or 12.00 and slower in a dune buggy (which a Goblin may be considered) it requires a rollbar - single hoop behind the driver. If you are running 10.99 or quicker than 135 mph a rollcage is mandatory for convertibles/dune buggies. The roll cage has specific side crash and roll over protection minimums that have to be met. Rollcage padding is mandatory running 9.99 or quicker.

Snippet from the NHRA rules book:

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
You won’t get 8s without bodywork. The aero drag on these things is high. Sounds silly but the HP needed from 100-150 is probably 5x what it requires 0-100.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Drag force goes up with the square of speed - R = ½ρCAv2
So, Justin is right. The drag force increase from 100 mph to 110 mph is way more than the increase from 50 mph to 60 mph.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
You won’t get 8s without bodywork. The aero drag on these things is high. Sounds silly but the HP needed from 100-150 is probably 5x what it requires 0-100.
Yep. It seems like I can get to 0-80 twice than going from 100-115. It's crazy the amount of power that is required to get these things to go fast.

It's almost like trying to push the broadside of a sheet of plywood through the air.

AS1xReign

Is the drag that bad even with all the body panels on? I guess its probably similar to Cleetus's problem with leroy. Not sure what power he makes probably 1k plus easy.but hes also running 7s.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Is the drag that bad even with all the body panels on? I guess its probably similar to Cleetus's problem with leroy. Not sure what power he makes probably 1k plus easy.but hes also running 7s.
He’s making close to 1600HP lol. He’s also a lot heavier though.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The rear suspension also has a lot to do with being able to get the power to the ground. A McPherson strut independent suspension is far from the idea setup for drag racing. Most drag specific cars use a 4-bar link with a live axle that enables anti-squat and side to side pre-weighting that transfers power to the rear tires (and the ground) much more effectively. The Goblin, having the power to weight ratio of a fighter jet, can overcome some of the failings of the McPherson struts to a point. After that with significant increases in horsepower the suspension will be limiting factor.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Yeah the drag over 100 is bad. You can literally feel it.

Nuker-