Question about inaccurate odometer (not goblin related)

lksohm

I have been looking for a small pickup to buy for a while now and found this. A 2011 ford ranger with an odometer reading of 357,XXX miles! The body is in great shape, not a speck of rust and runs like a top. I refuse to believe that a vehicle can be this clean with this many miles. I have been around some 3 or 400,000 mile vehicles and this doesn't feel like those.

I ended up buying it for $2,700. Deal of the year I'd say.

Is there any way an odometer can get that far off? Maybe a cluster swap? Maybe a glitch in the board? We watched the mile markers and compared it to the odometer on the 150ish mile trip home and it was spot on.

Attachments

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Slight hijack, but is there a way to reset the odometer on the cobalt since I'm basically building a new car. The computers and wiring is the only "old" parts I'm using. Is that legal?

Nuker-

DCMoney

Goblin Guru

lksohm

Did you run a carfax?
The seller showed me a carfax he ran when he bought it less than a year ago. I forgot to get the copy from him. The last check in said it had 90K miles in 2016. That means it would have to have had 180 miles everyday since that point. Not an impossible feat but extremely unlikely even if it was a delivery vehicle.

If the cluster was swapped then the cluster would have had to have had just as many miles.