Question: Tech2 Scanner, Tech2 Clone or HPTuner

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Tech2 device but thought I'd ask the question. Does HPTuner do everything the Tech2 or Clone would do? Or would there be things I need both Tech2 and HPTuner to accomplish most things. I'm not looking to actually tune my vehicle just yet, but if HPTuner does everything the Tech2 does plus tuning, it seems like a better use of money.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
HPT only interfaces with the ecm. Tech2 interface with all of the modules including BCM (since that is one of the few that we have left) and can make trouble shooting lighting and similar issues easier. If you have a spare laptop you might just go with the Tech2 VCX Nano type clone for the $100+ that it cost. It is a little bit of a pain to use though and it isn't 100% on the functions. Mine won't do the Instrument Cluster Stepper motor test, but that is all I've found that it misses.

The Tech2 (and supposedly the clones) will allow you to completely program modules from scratch which HPT will not do. The Nano is supposed to do this but I haven't ever had a need to try.

Do you have any other GM vehicles that might need the Tech2?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I'll also add, I wouldn't purchase HPT '3 until they have time to work out the bugs. If buying right now and not planning on tuning immediately, go Tech2.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
If I bought HPTuner I'd be trying to find the MPVI2 version (second hand). I read the horror story of the MPVI3 from another user and that scares me. Unfortunately, I do not have any other GM vehicles to scan. It'd be just for my Goblin. I do have a computer that I'm stripping all the stuff off of as my wife just got a new computer. Your assessment of what the two can do leads me toward a Tech2 or clone. I wanted to be able to see all the various things the vehicle is doing. Sensors, gauges, etc. for trouble shooting issues that will undoubtedly pop up.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
My main issue right now is a P2138 error code that randomly pops up. It's something between the pedal and the throttle body. I've replaced both units, so I think it might be in the wiring somewhere but want to see the readings between them to make sure it's not issues in the new parts I have. That and I'd like to remove the ABS, 2nd O2 Sensor and Emissions error codes that I've got. Also I'd like to be able to adjust my fuel tank size to get a better miles to empty calculation.

Would HP Tuners do all this?

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Both could be used to help trouble shoot the P2138.

Neither will turn of ABS codes

HPT will turn off O2 and Emissions codes (at least '2 will, not sure what '3 will do for that). Tech2 won't.

I don't think the Tech2 will adjust fuel tank size. Not sure about HPT.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Remember that Tech2 is used by GM techs to work on vehicles and they have no need to modify things from factory. Any required changes to the modules programing/calibration are handled by Factory updates that reloaded to the ECM.

HPT is used to modify parts of the ECM/TCM program that HPT has cracked. With maybe a few exceptions it won't interface with the bcm, brake modules etc. It also doesn't touch large portions of the ECM/TCM program and even a write entire doesn't get all of it.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Remember that Tech2 is used by GM techs to work on vehicles and they have no need to modify things from factory. Any required changes to the modules programing/calibration are handled by Factory updates that reloaded to the ECM.

HPT is used to modify parts of the ECM/TCM program that HPT has cracked. With maybe a few exceptions it won't interface with the bcm, brake modules etc. It also doesn't touch large portions of the ECM/TCM program and even a write entire doesn't get all of it.
This is very correct. Dealer techs have no reason to rewrite or modify anything. Everything is stock. Programs come from GM and follow all epa guidelines. The tech2 reads all (allowed) data in all computers. We don’t need most of those in the goblin world. HPT reads most data from the ecm. Enough for the common joe to diagnose most things.

I have hpt on the goblin, I have a tech2 because I work on GM vehicles all day. I also have a BlueDriver thingy in my truck in case I need something quickly. I’ll make something work.

If you want to modify power, I would get hpt. If you have no desire to modify power, I would get a tech2 (clone) or simple data reader (not just a code reader) to access data for repairs.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
This is very correct. Dealer techs have no reason to rewrite or modify anything. Everything is stock. Programs come from GM and follow all epa guidelines. The tech2 reads all (allowed) data in all computers. We don’t need most of those in the goblin world. HPT reads most data from the ecm. Enough for the common joe to diagnose most things.

I have hpt on the goblin, I have a tech2 because I work on GM vehicles all day. I also have a BlueDriver thingy in my truck in case I need something quickly. I’ll make something work.

If you want to modify power, I would get hpt. If you have no desire to modify power, I would get a tech2 (clone) or simple data reader (not just a code reader) to access data for repairs.
Thanks guys. I ended up ordering a MPVI2+ from Jannetty Racing yesterday. Since I do plan to go to a smaller pulley and install larger injectors (already bought these, found a deal I couldn't pass on) sometime in the future I went with the HP Tuners route. Well, once I get bored with and can control what I currently have. Since it'll see the issue that I am having, let me mod in the future and let me turn off some of my check engine codes, this seemed the best use of funds.