Quickest build?

snirtman

I've been reading a lot of build threads preparing for my build, and have been a little surprised that some have taken so long (4+ years). I'm curious what the average build time is, and in the spirit of the "how far did you go to get your donor" thread a few days ago, I'm also curious who built their Goblin the quickest and how quick did they get it done? Clock starts when frame arrives and stops when your Goblin is running and driving. Not a contest, just curious!

Dsteinhorst

There's several in the 2-4 week time frame. I did mine virtually alone in about 9 weeks, which is verging on average. The multi-year crew tends to be vocal, but a minority.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
About a year and a half for me, but I stripped two donors and had barely any tools to start with.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I took a year on mine. Life got in the way between working full time, school full time (masters degree), being a husband and a father. But I’m 31 yo, and I think that’s on the lower end for the majority of the goblin owners. Those who typically take this long, or longer, are in the same boat: other obligations take precedence over the project car.

I believe @Desert Sasqwatch is the longest time to build so far that I know of, but he also built a house, fixed up his old one, sold his old one, made some improvements to the new house, and spent weeks lightening his chassis. I’m like him, make sure the wife is happy first, everything else comes second.

@CaptFrank2001 i believe was pretty quick to assemble: 2 maybe 3 weeks I believe?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Frame arrived Jan 28th 2019, Goblin was running June 29th. 5 months, but it was cold in the shop in winter, so I only worked on the car about once a week. Once the warmth of spring arrived, I started working on it more and more. My strategy is to get the car driving, learn and debug my build, before deciding on major upgrades.

Trail_Creeper

I'll let you know when I start mine. Won't be starting as soon as the chassis arrives due to more important things in life... spend my one full month a year with the kids.

snirtman

There's several in the 2-4 week time frame. I did mine virtually alone in about 9 weeks, which is verging on average. The multi-year crew tends to be vocal, but a minority.
Same here (building alone), so its nice to know what to expect time-wise. I'm not trying to throw shade on anyone taking longer - I get that life happens (currently unemployed here). Love to know how the 2-week guys did it though!

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Two weeks to first start.
One more week and was on the road.
Worked on it daily back then during the Covid break.
But. I never really was in a hurry. :)

gofast

I'm over two years now. My biggest problem is I have a 45' x 80' shop with plenty of room for multiple projects. No pressure to get the car project out of the way. MIne is also not going to be a standard build so many changes result in lots of time planning and engineering. Some guys have built first, then made the upgrades later. I've been trying to anticipate all the upgrades I want and incorporate them up front. The forum has been invaluable from that aspect.

I admire the guys who clear their cars out of the garage and then with limited space and tools, put a very nice car together. I'm sure the pressure to get the cars back in the garage helps speed up the build process.

I know I need to start on a build log. I've been saying to myself I'll start it soon for a long time. When I start building in earnest, I promise to get something posted.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I'm over two years now. My biggest problem is I have a 45' x 80' shop with plenty of room for multiple projects. No pressure to get the car project out of the way. MIne is also not going to be a standard build so many changes result in lots of time planning and engineering. Some guys have built first, then made the upgrades later. I've been trying to anticipate all the upgrades I want and incorporate them up front. The forum has been invaluable from that aspect.

I admire the guys who clear their cars out of the garage and then with limited space and tools, put a very nice car together. I'm sure the pressure to get the cars back in the garage helps speed up the build process.

I know I need to start on a build log. I've been saying to myself I'll start it soon for a long time. When I start building in earnest, I promise to get something posted.
My wife -HATED- me for 3 months or so, while I had the yellow beater in my side of the garage. "Why would you bring home such a POS?" ... bearing in mind, it was dented up, the interior was completely moldy, and the driver's side mirror was busted off. She was ecstatic the day I got rid of it.

...You can imagine her complete demoralization when I brought home a totaled wreck a week later, and the expression on her face as she watched three of us try to push it, sans a front wheel, into my garage.

20190823_182012.jpg

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
My wife -HATED- me for 3 months or so, while I had the yellow beater in my side of the garage. "Why would you bring home such a POS?" ... bearing in mind, it was dented up, the interior was completely moldy, and the driver's side mirror was busted off. She was ecstatic the day I got rid of it.

...You can imagine her complete demoralization when I brought home a totaled wreck a week later, and the expression on her face as she watched three of us try to push it, sans a front wheel, into my garage.

View attachment 33958
There is always a low point in the process where your significant other is questioning your sanity and why you believe spending money on a Goblin is an okay thing. o_O:D

Cdot

One month part time to get it driving, one more month to finish the fine details and get it road worthy.

Tinkles

I believe @Desert Sasqwatch is the longest time to build so far that I know of, but he also built a house, fixed up his old one, sold his old one, made some improvements to the new house, and spent weeks lightening his chassis. I’m like him, make sure the wife is happy first, everything else comes second.
I have him beat. Chassis #88. There is a good chance that I am the lowest chassis number that still isn't completed. I have alot of excuses as to why it is taking so long. Some are cold winters and unheated/uninsulated garage, I didn't buy a donor, the fab shop I have been using isn't the fastest, other projects have taken priority, and I lose motivation to work on it.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
It really depends on the person. Some of us are busy trying to re-engineer the entire car to our personal liking. That takes f—- forever. Others are just cool building it per the videos. Seasonal weather is also a factor.

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
My frame (#383) was delivered on March 15th, up and running on May 18th, and first drive on June 20th. I built a 10x20 carport in the driveway over the donor car to try to keep the snow off it while taking it apart. It had no heat and only 3 sides, and at one point I was dropping the fuel tank in a blizzard. I was happy to move into the heated garage. At the beginning I had set a date that I wanted to be driving by , which was 2 days ago for the local Cruise Night.

I am also that person that wanted to get it driving around before knowing what I wanted to change on the car.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Working alone It took me 8 days to get the car together & drive it around the yard. Of course that does not count the time to get the frame, prep it & get it powder-coated. I had everything else prepped & painted and it was pretty much just a bolt together process. Getting the hood & sides wrapped took a while and I had tag issues on top of that. Technically the car will never be done as I am adding little touches here and there like the new shifter option. Considering a SC or TC over the winter.

Keckster

I was only about to get a few hours in on some weekends but as of right now I'm about ready for registration after a year of 30 mins here and there

JPas914

I picked up my kit from DF July 3rd 2018 and had it mostly completed within a month. Then I spent a few weeks troubleshooting an ECU issue while getting ready to move to Korea. Car was stored for the year I was in Korea, and finished/registered the car summer of 2020. When I picked up the kit, I had taken a couple weeks off to work on the kit which helped me make a lot of progress early on, but after that, work and life slowed down my progress.