r3drckt - extended track - 06 SS/SC G85

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Forgot that I needed to add a spring to my clutch pedal since my factory one broke. Remembered as I was trying to bleed the clutch. Sourcing a replacement factory spring is futile, so I bought a multi-pack of generic springs at auto zone for a few bucks. Originally tried Securing the top of the pedal to the front somewhere, but the clutch switch and bracket kept getting in the way. So I decided to go under the pivot point of the pedal and pull towards the driver. Works like a charm. I have a nice firm clutch pedal to match my brake pedal.

6F68813A-4CC8-4D8B-911B-6771B53855FC.jpeg
EB9514B1-1B09-4871-B490-8687A955A4F6.jpeg
D8DD442E-D7A2-43C2-8442-C28DA04F43E6.jpeg

I found that raising the brake reservoir so that there were no bends in the lines made bleeding the brakes and clutch easier. Single screw to the bracket and a 2”x4”x2’ and my lines were straight enough. Wedged it in front of the battery box and chassis. Held perfect for the process.

A40331E8-FDB2-4773-9761-12FEE30F7630.jpeg

Next thing to do is wire in the radiator fan, heat exchanger fans will probably get tied to the battery directly with a switch on the dash for power, and fix that coolant leak at the thermostat. THEN I’ll tackle the alignment and take it for the first drive finally!!!!!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I had the same thing happen to my clutch pedal. Here was my solution. I drilled a couple of holes and used an old carburetor throttle return spring
C5A3EC5B-F22D-49C5-B121-FD18DA5CAB57.jpeg
30B91345-F6AC-4FAE-A18B-60CE167D801D.jpeg

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I had the same thing happen to my clutch pedal. Here was my solution. I drilled a couple of holes and used an old carburetor throttle return spring
View attachment 33126View attachment 33127
That was my original plan And where I got the spring idea from, but for some reason I though you cut that upper post off like the videos showed when you did it, so I also cut my top part off.would’ve been an easy fix if I left it on, but I think the footwell cover would’ve hit it so I had to cut it off.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Tried doing my Toe alignment with a 3ft level and a laser tape measure. Did the rear pretty easily, but the front was very difficult so got it close. Figured I’d bite the bullet and buy the toe plates for $75 from Amazon.

However, I decided today that I’d do a makeshift toe plate setup so I didn’t have to wait for them to ship to me during a holiday weekend. Bonus: it was only $56!!! Went to Lowe’s and bought 2 x 1/8” aluminum angle pieces, 2 tape measures with 1/8” markings, and a digital angle finder to do the camber and caster parts of the alignment.

Using double sided tape and a level, I taped the angle pieces to the outsides of the tire at the same height on both sides. Then I used a tape measure forward and after the tires like you would on the toe plates. Got the front dialed in and put them on the rear wheels. Rear was dead on 1/8” toe in! Couldn’t believe it.

Didn’t work on the caster or camber tonight. Will do it in the morning. Instead, I wired in the radiator to the driver side LB radiator wire (other wire was white, no black ground like Lonny’s instructions indicated). Passenger side has a grey and black wire on the radiator fan connector. I was thinking about wiring in the HE fans to that grey wire for power instead of running a dedicated wire from the battery to the back. Not sure yet though.

Need to tackle the thermostat hose leak still, but it’s so minor I might do that AFTER my first drive. I also need to get a hose to run from the brake booster to the intake for a vacuum line. Figured I’d give this a try with the brake regulator on the front before I go manual brakes. Anyone know off hand what size that hose is?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
FIRST RIDE COMPLETE!!! I’ve put 4 miles on the car now. Car doesn’t want to come down to an idle after it’s driving and coming to a stop. HPT looks like the throttle position is jumping around a bit. Because it would die, it would start the scan over again so I didn’t get a decent enough read (car died pulling into my driveway).

Already a blast to drive, sticky tires filled my car with small rocks. Didn’t go above 50 mph down the back road and it went straight. RPMs stayed below 3500 but was enough to get the turbo to start spooling. Can’t wait to get this tune dialed in and the car registered.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Drove the car to the nearby gas station to top off the tank and to try and get some logs. I've attached them here if anyone wants to look at them in HPT.

ISSUE #1: The rough idle/lack of idle makes me think it's the baseline tune, but I do have some light smoke coming from the tailpipe. It's light in color which makes me think "Coolant leak," but noticeable if I'm still in the garage and running so I have to pull outside if I'm going to idle. Coolant leak would make sense for the rough idle I would assume.

ISSUE #2: I noticed that my engine coolant in HPT never went above 174 degrees and I didn't hear the radiator fan kick on. I tried to command it on in HPT while the car was in ignition on/engine off and it doesn't come on. Not sure if this is normal or not, but I wired the blue wire from the driver-side radiator fan plug like the instructions and reading over some old posts from @Ross

ISSUE #3: HPT was showing intake manifold preasure at 10PSI if I remember correctly while cruising in 4th gear at 1500rpm, but my boost gauage was showing slight vacuum, not boost. Not sure if the boost gauge is supposed to work still with the turbo swap (would assume so though since it's the stock intake manifold and the gauge works off that same sensor as HPT).

If I pull the plugs, I should be able to see if I'm burning coolant, correct? If I am, I think it might be the laminova cores.

Attachments

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Took video of start and idle of my build to send to Al at ZZP, figured I’d share it here as well.

Also took video of my Z57 Entry turbo kit plumbing. The instructions were not very detailed with pictures so I did a video of that as well and sent it to Al for verification.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Received my next tune from Al. Car idles nicely now and only stalled twice when coasting to a stop. Both times was after about 1.5 miles of driving and the car got up to temperature. I notice white smoke when the car is cold, but once up to temp the smoke is gone. I'll have to see if this is a repeatable thing or if it was just this one time. Otherwise, the car ran great IMO. Still keeping it below 3k rpm and 50mph, but I can tell around 3k the turbo is just starting. Didn't see more than 5psi of boost from the gauge; but like most of us, my attention is on the road when driving, not my gauges or laptop.

First log was from cold start up until it stalled coasting to a stop sign. Second log was strictly idling in my driveway. Noticed that my radiator fan was running and my engine coolant was showing around 180 degrees in HPT. Wasn't very loud so almost missed it. I don't think this is a variable fan setup, so I'm assuming that was at 100%.

Still need to get my exhaust fitted. Was thinking I'd get the tune squared away first, but who knows how long that will take and I'm sure my neighbors aren't happy with the loud exhaust :p

Attachments

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Had my first run in with the police today. First one drove past and didn’t care. Second one was off duty, but turned around because I was stopped at a side street checking over everything. Said I can’t drive it on the street because someone else might care and take it away :p Turns out, this officer lives in my neighborhood (next to where I was sitting actually) and thought the car was very well done. It’s a good feeling to hear that when it’s my first attempt at building my own car.

Was out doing logs for the latest tune. I keep blowing white smoke out while the engine isn’t at operating temperature. I’m thinking I might have some blow by on my rings and burning oil. I keep checking my oil level and I’m never low. I even had an oil leak at my external cooler (just tightened it down so hoping it’s no more).

One gripe I had is my factory HE fill neck. It keeps spitting coolant out of the overflow tube and onto my gas tank. But when the engine isn’t running, it looks low on coolant. I might just mount the option B tank to alleviate this. Will have to 3D print a mount since the DF factory mount didn’t sit nicely with the Option B tank ZZP sent me.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
White smoke is water. Odd.
black- fuel
blue- oil

I let mine puke and left it at that level. car off, it’s barely in the small reservoir, running it looks fine.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
White smoke is water. Odd.
black- fuel
blue- oil

I let mine puke and left it at that level. car off, it’s barely in the small reservoir, running it looks fine.
It looks white to me. I’ll have to get a better video of it and post it up. The odd part is the previous revision appeared to solve the smoke issue for the most part, then this tune brought it back more.

Car has 38 miles on it now so kind of hoping it gets better with mileage and the rings seat better

Ross

Goblin Guru
I wonder if your seals in the laminova tubes is compromized. It would cause more air thru the intercooler coolant, and could lead to white exhaust. The head gasket is the only other place that I can think of to get water in the exhaust.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I wonder if your seals in the laminova tubes is compromized. It would cause more air thru the intercooler coolant, and could lead to white exhaust. The head gasket is the only other place that I can think of to get water in the exhaust.
There’s a water coolant line to the turbo as well. Could potentially be a bad seal internally?

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I might just mount the option B tank to alleviate this. Will have to 3D print a mount since the DF factory mount didn’t sit nicely with the Option B tank ZZP sent me.
I used a DF mount for my "Option B" tank. The nipple on the real Option B tank doesn't allow it to sit right so I sold it and the ZZP mount for $40. I bought a new stock coolant reservoir from Rock Auto for $17. It's cleaner and fits just like the one on the driver's side.

I think the passenger side mount is a mirror image of the driver side mount and is designed to fit under the engine cover correctly. I am not using an engine cover and I didn't want it making the oil filter or dipstick any harder to reach than necessary, so I went with a 2nd driver side mount.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Topped off the coolant tank again and ran my next tune from Al. Rev 1.4 currently. All 3 logs stopped because of shifting to neutral to coast to a stop. Starting back up I needed to feather the gas until idle stabilized before it would idle on its own. Then did a log with just idle. Log 1 has some of the cold start idle as well at the beginning.

Attachments

Last edited: