r3drckt - extended track - 06 SS/SC G85

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Hey Everyone. Name is Joe and I’ve been lurking the forums for about 2-3 months now. I’m located in Pensacola, Florida. Already connected with JPas and Jaredthenav and asked some questions regarding their builds, both have been helpful with suggestions.

Acquired my donor on 24 October 2020 from a friend of my brother in TN who bought it in 2019 from an auction. Car was in ok shape. Previous minor accident but the car ran and drove so couldn’t complain. For $2500 figured it was a decent enough deal. Learned it had a slipping clutch though during the test drive. After making the 7 hour drive and having cash in hand, the guy sold it for $2200 to help cover the cost of the clutch (luckily).
9CFDB15B-EEA9-476F-8739-EE64A451D6CA.jpeg

Got the car home, but had to wait for the TN title, so decided to strip the trunk on 3 November. Had to wait for the full tear down because Florida wants to see the car in person if it’s never been titled in the state. Wanted to make sure it was titled in my name in Florida to prevent any issues with registering the Goblin when it came time.

Got the title in my name on 13 November finally. Was excited to get started ripping the donor apart, but have been busy with work and reserve duty. Yesterday was the first day off in 3 weeks, but I didn’t let that stop me from getting to work! Got through videos 1-3 (stopped before dropping the subframe in vid 3).

Finished the 3rd video and completed the 4th today. Glad I’m past this part as I feel it’s about 30% of the entire build. Never dropped an engine before so had me a little worried, but the build videos (albeit for a NA build) were a huge help (THANKS LONNY AND ADAM!) and the build is moving right along.
Wish I had an engine hoist to help drop the engine, but everyone’s suggestions in other posts helped a lot. Had a jack on each side and lowered the car onto the dolly (under the engine), unbolted, then jacked the car back up and slid the engine out the front. Glad I had a second set of hands to lower and raise the one side with me (wife). She’s helped me mod all of our cars and isn’t afraid of getting dirty.

Engine hoist and stand will be purchased so I can clean up the parts before installation. On the fence about leaving the engine stock and seeing how the goblin drives or if I will mod it while everything is out. Obviously the clutch assembly will be getting replaced, but I’m a bit of a speed freak and enjoy power under my foot. Coming from a 400awhp 2017 m240ix, 450 rwhp 2020 z4 M40i and a 400awhp 2019 x3 M40i; needless to say I’m wanting around 300whp out of the goblin or more. Been trying to research everything I can about the m62/tvs builds on 93 octane and their power outputs, but thinking I might need to go with the turbo swap for the LSJ to get the power numbers I’m wanting. If anyone wants to chime in on your mods, dyno/draggy statistics please do!

Have not purchased my kit yet. Hoping to place the order before Christmas, but might have to wait until January. Track extended frame for the extra space behind the seat (I’m 5’8”) and roll cage to keep the wife happy about my safety. I don’t typically participate in auto cross/track days, but I have driven the Nordschleife while I was stationed in Germany and did some test n tune nights at the drag strip here in the states. Always looking for fun roads to drive, unfortunately most are 3+ hours north of me.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Welcome. :)

I would consider leaving it stock for now, see how the finished car feels. With MUCH less weight, the Goblin really moves for the power you have in it.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Welcome!
The supercharger paint job is to die for!!!! :)
I honestly want to paint it solid black during the clean up so it doesn’t look like a child tried to finger paint the engine :p no idea what the previous owner was doing. Apparently he port & polished the supercharger as well which I heard ruins these m62

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Welcome. :)

I would consider leaving it stock for now, see how the finished car feels. With MUCH less weight, the Goblin really moves for the power you have in it.
Thanks! I’m trying to give it a chance. I drove a 2012 Cruze eco with the 6 speed and 1.4T and I thought that was peppy for what it was. Had a fun driving it since it was relatively light and Germany has more than its share of twisty roads. Thinking the goblin will amplify that fun since it’s half the weight of that and almost 50% more hp

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Thanks! I’m trying to give it a chance. I drove a 2012 Cruze eco with the 6 speed and 1.4T and I thought that was peppy for what it was. Had a fun driving it since it was relatively light and Germany has more than its share of twisty roads. Thinking the goblin will amplify that fun since it’s half the weight of that and almost 50% more hp
There's also the fact that the Goblin is very small and sits low, so it feels like (at least to me) you're going much faster than you actually are. The fastest I've yet gone, with not being street-legal yet, is 30 MPH through my neighborhood. That felt like 45+ to me.

Goblin Graber

If the 300+ number is what you’re after I think you’ll need to swap for a turbo. That being said I would slap a smaller pulley on it first and see if it’s close to powerful enough. Does that m62 have a modular hub? I have a 2.8” pulley I can ship you cheap if you want to try it.

Get that kit ordered as soon as you can. Tomorrow will be 14 weeks waiting on mine to ship.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I came from about 600rwhp in my last car to the Goblin making 265rwhp with an LSJ setup and it's definitely faster so I don't think you'll need to start out with 300hp to get the feeling you want. That being said, small pulley on E85 and a proper dyno tune and you should be at 300whp. I set mine up with a pump and injectors sized for E85 so when I get everything else setup to handle the power I can swap over, get it tuned, and make more power.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I came from about 600rwhp in my last car to the Goblin making 265rwhp with an LSJ setup and it's definitely faster so I don't think you'll need to start out with 300hp to get the feeling you want. That being said, small pulley on E85 and a proper dyno tune and you should be at 300whp. I set mine up with a pump and injectors sized for E85 so when I get everything else setup to handle the power I can swap over, get it tuned, and make more power.
Unfortunately, I don't know any place between Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach that sells E85. Best we get here is 93 and race gas isn't doable for how frequently I will be driving the goblin. I've considered the idea of the ported head, stage 2 cams, nbs/deletes, 2.9-2.8 pulley (understanding is 2.8 needs meth/e85 though), ATI damper and possibly a TVS 1320. Might need all of that just to stay on 93 and make 300whp+ and at that point I'd be above $5k and the full turbo swap is $4k and would make more power with JUST the turbo swap kit. I could still do all of those other mods and make more if I wanted to. Decisions....

Goblin Graber

I can’t get e85 either. All they have around here is 91 so I have to be conservative. I’m putting an m62 on my car with the goals of it just being a fast street car to drive to work.

If you’re looking for all out power just do the turbo setup. I think it’ll be way cheaper and easier way to hit your power goals.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
If the 300+ number is what you’re after I think you’ll need to swap for a turbo. That being said I would slap a smaller pulley on it first and see if it’s close to powerful enough. Does that m62 have a modular hub? I have a 2.8” pulley I can ship you cheap if you want to try it.

Get that kit ordered as soon as you can. Tomorrow will be 14 weeks waiting on mine to ship.
I don't believe it has a modular hub on it already. I noticed the "GM Performance" plate on the front cross member so not sure if it has any of the GM staged kits on it or not. If it does, then it should have a modular pulley on it if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to check when I get home.

I know that finding shipping companies to move a crate that large is difficult to do, not sure if DF is having issues with this or not. What I'm curious about, and maybe Lonny or Adam can chime in on it, is if we live out of state and pick up our kit to save waiting time then do we have to be charged the Texas sales tax. I know in Florida and Alabama that if the product's destination is out of the state (buy in Alabama and takes to Florida or visa versa) then the business doesn't have to charge sales tax as it's the responsibility of the buyer to claim it on their state taxes at the end of the year. Not sure what the law is in Texas though and it could very well be different.

Goblin Graber

Easy way to tell if you have a modular pulley is if it has bolts in the face of the pulley.

A factory pulley is pressed on. Modular setups use a pressed on hub that the pulley bolts to.

If you decide to go turbo your whole supercharger setup is worth a grand. That’s what I paid for the blower, intake, and LSJ acc drive.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Unfortunately, I don't know any place between Pensacola and Fort Walton Beach that sells E85. Best we get here is 93 and race gas isn't doable for how frequently I will be driving the goblin. I've considered the idea of the ported head, stage 2 cams, nbs/deletes, 2.9-2.8 pulley (understanding is 2.8 needs meth/e85 though), ATI damper and possibly a TVS 1320. Might need all of that just to stay on 93 and make 300whp+ and at that point I'd be above $5k and the full turbo swap is $4k and would make more power with JUST the turbo swap kit. I could still do all of those other mods and make more if I wanted to. Decisions....
I have 2009 stock turbo. With only a tune, it is 300 hp. I am here to tell you it screams.........

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I have 2009 stock turbo. With only a tune, it is 300 hp. I am here to tell you it screams.........
I bet! From what I’ve been seeing, the stock LSJ goblins are running right around the 4-4.2s 0-60. I’m used to the mid to low 3s and that’s what I’m shooting for. I’m assuming 300whp will give me that so that’s what I’m basing my power goals on. Might be able to do the entry swap from zzp for $1500 and get close to the 300whp with a tune.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Since it looks like you have time before you get your goblin, keep an eye on my build thread and SACTX‘s thread. We both have LSJ’s and are upgrading. SACTX’s already has the GM stage 2 kit and he will be swapping superchargers soon. Mine is bone stock and I’m about to install the ZZP stage 2 kit. Once I get use to that, I’ll be upgrading from there (not sure on what direction though).

As far as speed goes, JBINTX is way faster then mine in all out straight line speed, but in something like autocross, at our last race, I was less than .5 sec behind. :cool: And I would have had him if I didn’t spin out and almost kill a bus full of nuns and puppies. :eek::D

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I read everyone’s threads that get updated since my last visit. Ensures I don’t miss that one off thing I may come across during my assembly o_O is SACTX going with a TVS or just upgrading pulley?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Made progress on stripping the donor today while staying out of the kitchen. Got the dash out, stripped the inside and pulled out the main harness. Next step is the gas tank, rear assembly and pull the dash harness from the dash. (Completed through video 6 I believe it was). Need to grab the ebrake assembly once I dismantle the rear as well.