Rauq's Twincharged LSJ in SC - #240 - GOBZILA

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Just got confirmation I'm locked in for #240! Still searching for a donor but I'm set on an SS/SC build. If anyone's got a good lead on a donor in the southeast, feel free to send it my way.

No concrete plans for the build, just looking for something fun for mountain bombing, autocross, and maybe a track day or two.

Not sure if anyone in the region has been to a Clemson Sports Car Club autocross, but I was the president there 2012-2014 and ran the events for two school years. I'm excited to join the group!

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Does this link work for you? Doesn't look like there is anything the southeast, but you can always check back:
Yeah I've been watching Copart, eRepairables, IAAI, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, CarGurus, Cars.com, and Autotrader pretty regularly. Nothing jumping out as an obvious pick, but man, some folks do want some crazy money for some pieces of junk.

edit: going to keep an eye on this https://www.iaai.com/vehicledetails/35780165?RowNumber=0

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
That's a nice one and reasonable mileage. Would make great donor and you will have lots of haters on Cobalt SS.com since it would be an easy fix.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Check out this hot rod! 2006 SS/SC with the G85! 141k miles but not a lot of other information. Besides the whole body it's in pretty good shape. I don't really have a lot of information on the car and would guess it's got the base front end due to damage to the original but the subframe looks straight and that's about all I can ask for. Intermittent CELs for P0068 and P1182 but I'm not sure how hard I'm going to try to get those straightened out ahead of time. It needs wheel bearings and is missing a little over an average of one lug stud per wheel so I'll definitely be picking up a set of new hubs. It doesn't do one wheel peels which is cool too.

I have a few other open projects around the house so I'm going to try to tie those up first before digging into the car. My kit's estimated somewhere November-ish so I have a bit of time to do the teardown but getting the harness out and sent off for rework will be a priority. Does anyone have a ballpark of how long that takes to get reworked? Ideally it'd come back completed with the kit.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Nice, should make a good donor! As you've probably read a dozen times already, label everything and take more photos than you think you'll need. Keep all your nuts and , plus all brake lines and brackets, hand brake and cables. Keep us posted. :)

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Got into the teardown over the weekend and yesterday. The car is full of surprises. What I thought was going to be a ghettofab'd straight pipe is actually a $400+ stainless system with short muffler (albeit an ineffective one). I think the switches originally ran to the underglow (but not anymore). If the lights work, isn't it a build rule that they have to be installed on the Goblin? I'm up to $0.27 in change found under the seats but the real score was the unopened pack of socks. I got to remove the exact same pack from my Amazon cart!

All my hardware is going into labeled baggies with the help of my project manager. I think she's enjoying the process more than she lets on.

I have a buddy coming to help out tomorrow. He's a real tool nerd and will bring his cordless 1/2" impact and socket set for the axle nuts. I'm thinking I might need the assistance of the foot brake to keep the hub from spinning so the brakes probably won't get drained until afterwards.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Looting a new pack of socks from the donor .... now I've seen it all! :)

Good progress on that donor. Pretty soon, the shell will be gone and it'll be go time.

Also, lighting the @JBINTX signal, this donor has your coveted "undercar lighting"! :D:D:D

Anks329

The impact driver made no impact on my axle nuts.

I ended up putting a wheel back on, dropping that side down, then using a breaker bar along with a 4 foot long metal pipe along with lots of elbow grease to get those nuts off. Then flipped the set up around and got the other side off the same way.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
You have my word the axle nuts were not touched (by me) prior to this video. I told my buddy that the internet didn't believe the axle nuts could be removed with a cordless impact. He said, "Like this?" I told him it was a good thing there's two of them so I can get a video of the other side. 6 sec Imgur video

Should just be the heater core hoses, shifter cables, and probably a few more electrical connections holding the engine/trans/subframe in. Progress last night wasn't very visible. I probably won't get around to dropping everything until Sunday.

Ridgid makes some good tools. You should buy them.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
The impact driver made no impact on my axle nuts.

I ended up putting a wheel back on, dropping that side down, then using a breaker bar along with a 4 foot long metal pipe along with lots of elbow grease to get those nuts off. Then flipped the set up around and got the other side off the same way.
What size impact were you using?

WYGoblin

You have my word the axle nuts were not touched (by me) prior to this video. I told my buddy that the internet didn't believe the axle nuts could be removed with a cordless impact. He said, "Like this?" I told him it was a good thing there's two of them so I can get a video of the other side. 6 sec Imgur video

Should just be the heater core hoses, shifter cables, and probably a few more electrical connections holding the engine/trans/subframe in. Progress last night wasn't very visible. I probably won't get around to dropping everything until Sunday.

Ridgid makes some good tools. You should buy them.
I used a Dewalt cordless impact on mine also. It didn't have any problem breaking the axle nuts loose. Dewalt rated it at 700 ft/lbs max torque and 1200 ft/lbs max break away torque.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
I understand most (if not all) Impact tools need minum 90 PSI and at least 5 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) as an air supply. I have a small compressor that only has 2.5 CFM so I use 120 PSI to compensate & still sometimes that is not enough to operate my tools, especially the impact driver. The biggest isssue is the low CFM or air volume. Kind of like having the Horse Power but no Torque.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Got the whole engine, trans, and cradle dropped as one unit last week. I got the interior stripped as far as removing the carpet last night. Hopefully the dash will come out tonight- my weekly nighttime overseas conference calls have gotten pointless enough that I'm pretty sure I can just put myself on speakerphone + mute and work in the garage.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Got the dash pulled and the front half of the harness freed up. I guess I knew this was coming but chucking all the trim panels in the trunk is going to be a bit of a hindrance to getting the back half of the harness out, and I have higher standards for myself than chucking them all into a corner of the garage... who am I kidding, that's probably what I'm going to end up doing. At some point I'll probably end up making a run to the local dump.

Pic of the motor is from last week.