Rauq's Twincharged LSJ in SC - #240 - GOBZILA

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I got the rest of the body harness out last night and started on stripping the dash. A lot of the sheet metal behind the dash had some serious surface rust. I don't have a particular reason to believe the donor had been flooded or that it had been left out in the rain- the car drove fine on the way home, no electrical issues, and no mold or anything like that. Is that just what these parts look like after a lifetime of normal levels of humidity? It's lived its whole life in SC and NC, away from the coast. Subframe and other metal parts off the donor looked fine as well. Anyway, these and a few other parts will be getting some blasting and paint before install.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Both of my donors' pedal boxes looked exactly like that and neither were flood cars. I think it's normal.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Yeah mine looked like garbage too, a life-long SC car with no hint of interior flood damage... I just sand blasted and powdered them and sent them on their way.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
you better reuse your underglow.
@Mayor West unfortunately the underglow is actually underglow. Not sure that will jive with the planned gunmetal/green paint scheme... although my original color proposal was black and purple, but I'm not even sure that will work. This is definitely pink, the picture doesn't even do it justice.

Got all the harnesses out, finally, so they'll be getting shipped in today. I doubt they'll be ready in time to return with the kit, though, as I got word this morning it'll be ready next week and awaiting a shipping soon thereafter.

For future reference, loosen your lug nuts while it's still easy! At this point I had no rear brakes on the car. With the tires on the ground, my breaker bar was just driving the car forwards. I ended up putting jackstands under the rear jack points, but with the rear wheels on the car and no engine, the car rocked on the rear jackstands. I ended up putting my jack under the tire and pushing down on the breaker bar to get the tire to have enough traction on the jack to stop from spinning. With lug nuts that tight, it's no wonder the car came with 11 lug nuts and 12 lug studs. Once I got the wheels off, they went from the back of the car, behind the rear jackstands, into the engine bay with the carpet and dash pad to reduce the likelihood of the car rocking. The front wheels went under the car with me just for a little additional safety confidence.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
@Mayor West unfortunately the underglow is actually underglow. Not sure that will jive with the planned gunmetal/green paint scheme... although my original color proposal was black and purple, but I'm not even sure that will work. This is definitely pink, the picture doesn't even do it justice.
View attachment 18027

Got all the harnesses out, finally, so they'll be getting shipped in today. I doubt they'll be ready in time to return with the kit, though, as I got word this morning it'll be ready next week and awaiting a shipping soon thereafter.
View attachment 18030

For future reference, loosen your lug nuts while it's still easy! At this point I had no rear brakes on the car. With the tires on the ground, my breaker bar was just driving the car forwards. I ended up putting jackstands under the rear jack points, but with the rear wheels on the car and no engine, the car rocked on the rear jackstands. I ended up putting my jack under the tire and pushing down on the breaker bar to get the tire to have enough traction on the jack to stop from spinning. With lug nuts that tight, it's no wonder the car came with 11 lug nuts and 12 lug studs. Once I got the wheels off, they went from the back of the car, behind the rear jackstands, into the engine bay with the carpet and dash pad to reduce the likelihood of the car rocking. The front wheels went under the car with me just for a little additional safety confidence.
View attachment 18032
Hmm, a 1/2 inch drive impact gun would have been easier and safer - if you had access to use one. Good you got those busted loose without a mishap. :)

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Hmm, a 1/2 inch drive impact gun would have been easier and safer - if you had access to use one. Good you got those busted loose without a mishap. :)
If only I had access to one... unfortunately assistance is hard to come by during the week as there's a general rule that requires joint car work to be accompanied by beverages that preclude driving home safely and thus preparing for work the next morning.

I'm planning to remove everything that will come off of the rear brakes from the parking brake cables and aluminum guide tubes to the cable brackets at the end of the beam axle. Is there anything else I need to look out for to ensure I'm set for the Goblin e-brake ?

Similar type question, I got the fuel tank down and the harness disconnected. I only managed to get the fuel filler neck hose free and one of the lines to the canister, on the canister end. Are any of these hoses reused so should not be cut? Or am I free to go to town... the quick disconnects aren't so quick after all.

Goblin Graber

You need the two lines that go from the fuel pump to the fuel filter. The evap lines are not needed. The single line from the filter to the engine that takes a disconnect tool was stuck on mine and I couldn’t get it off so I just left the fuel filter and added one to my rockauto order.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
You need the two lines that go from the fuel pump to the fuel filter. The evap lines are not needed. The single line from the filter to the engine that takes a disconnect tool was stuck on mine and I couldn’t get it off so I just left the fuel filter and added one to my rockauto order.
That's funny because the line from the filter to the engine is the only one I was able to get off. I'll give the two lines that I need to keep another go tonight.

Goblin Graber

That's funny because the line from the filter to the engine is the only one I was able to get off. I'll give the two lines that I need to keep another go tonight.
A couple things...those lines don’t need a disconnect tool in case you didn’t know. The other thing is maybe just unbolt the filter and pull it out with the tank so you can work on it not underneath the car.

Congrats on 240 by the way. I’m waiting on the chassis right in front of yours. Are you getting as anxious as I am?

Rauq

Goblin Guru
A couple things...those lines don’t need a disconnect tool in case you didn’t know. The other thing is maybe just unbolt the filter and pull it out with the tank so you can work on it not underneath the car.

Congrats on 240 by the way. I’m waiting on the chassis right in front of yours. Are you getting as anxious as I am?
I didn't think those fittings needed a disconnect tool and fortunately my disconnect tool didn't fit between the fitting and the filter so I didn't spend a lot of time trying anyway. I had about the same experience with the same type of quick disconnect fittings when I put a lift pump on my Duramax so I don't think it's my technique.

I'm stoked. My buddy keeps telling me he's excited for "our" car to arrive, and that's not really helping to temper the enthusiasm.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I sold a handful of parts for $600 yesterday... I have a buyer scheduled to pick up the shell this weekend with the rear bumper, trunk + spoiler, and rockers for $400. Then I'll be left with the Recaros as about the highest dollar items remaining, plus a few other odds and ends that may end up in the trash in the end.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Out with the old, in with the new.

Got a visit from a Factory Five big rig on Friday, AND a big brown delivery truck with a whopping three whole wheels and tires. They swear there's a fourth on the way. The frame's in the truck bed tonight, hopefully to be dropped off for powdercoating tomorrow. Tinsley, who I know more than a few folks have used, said they're booked through the end of the year. Decent chance I'll be using a job shop that I've worked with professionally in the past. They did good work for me then (teardown and rework of core hydraulic pumps and motors) and they claim they've done a couple junior dragster frames in the past. I figure you don't stay in business running a 30' bake oven if you don't know what you're doing.

Kenny123

Out with the old, in with the new.
View attachment 18512

Got a visit from a Factory Five big rig on Friday, AND a big brown delivery truck with a whopping three whole wheels and tires. They swear there's a fourth on the way. The frame's in the truck bed tonight, hopefully to be dropped off for powdercoating tomorrow. Tinsley, who I know more than a few folks have used, said they're booked through the end of the year. Decent chance I'll be using a job shop that I've worked with professionally in the past. They did good work for me then (teardown and rework of core hydraulic pumps and motors) and they claim they've done a couple junior dragster frames in the past. I figure you don't stay in business running a 30' bake oven if you don't know what you're doing.
Hell yah dude!!!! It goes by fast. Feel free to ask any questions. I learned a lot from these guys here!

Rauq

Goblin Guru
The chassis and most of the other parts got dropped off for powdercoating this past Monday and will be done this coming week. The garage is more organized now than it has been recently, but still not quite where I'd like it to be. This is how I watched college football this weekend.

I didn't realize how it was going to unfold that I dropped the motor + trans + subframe as a unit onto my wheel dolly... can't get the subframe outside for cleaning and painting until the motor gets onto the engine stand. Right now I have the trans on it for cleaning and painting. My donor had Exedy stickers on the grocery list, so I was hoping it had had the clutch replaced in its 141k miles, but I don't see anything to suggest it's anything other than the OEM clutch. Then again, it also had Sparco and Pirelli stickers. Interestingly, the Carfax shows it got a new cylinder head at 7k miles and the trans "removed and reinstalled" and "clutch checked" at 14k miles. Speaking of the trans, is this drain plug magnet an unexpected sight? G85 trans if that's relevant.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
That's a transmission in the process of slowly eating itself. I wonder if the transmission had been serviced since the supposed 14K maintenance. That looks like something maybe a little more than normal wear and tear, as it is steel material which shouldn't be occurring - even with 141K. Try flushing the transmission with a light oil to wash out the rest of the crap and fill with the correct gear oil. At some point recheck the magnetic plug again for steel particles.

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
That's a transmission in the process of slowly eating itself. I wonder if the transmission had been serviced since the supposed 14K maintenance. That looks like something maybe a little more than normal wear and tear, as it is steel material which shouldn't be occurring - even with 141K. Try flushing the transmission with a light oil to wash out the rest of the crap and fill with the correct gear oil. At some point recheck the magnetic plug again for steel particles.
That's generally what I was thinking, on each of your points. Why would have been serviced again? It's "fill-for-life"! The car drove home ~25 miles just fine, rowed through the gears with no issues. LSD seemed to work great as well. From what I've read, these are not particularly serviceable, so I'm guessing there's not much to do besides drive it and see what happens.

Rauq

Goblin Guru

Not everything was finished powdercoating on Friday as agreed, so I picked up just the frame. Got the coolant hoses run with the assistance of a buddy with a winch. Also got a bunch of parts delivered, some from Black Friday and some from preplanned Rock Auto purchases, including a 2.9 pulley, shorty header, wideband, all new wheel bearings, Moog Problem Solver control arm bushings, front brake pads, and fuel filter. I'm sure I've missed a few things. Dorman timing chain guide bolt is installed as well. We got the valve cover painted in wrinkle black, I know I owe a picture of that bad boy. I'm pleased how it turned out.

Current efforts are spread across multiple fronts, including getting the pedal mounts cleaned and painted, painting the engine block, and a few other things.

Kenny123

View attachment 19008
Not everything was finished powdercoating on Friday as agreed, so I picked up just the frame. Got the coolant hoses run with the assistance of a buddy with a winch. Also got a bunch of parts delivered, some from Black Friday and some from preplanned Rock Auto purchases, including a 2.9 pulley, shorty header, wideband, all new wheel bearings, Moog Problem Solver control arm bushings, front brake pads, and fuel filter. I'm sure I've missed a few things. Dorman timing chain guide bolt is installed as well. We got the valve cover painted in wrinkle black, I know I owe a picture of that bad boy. I'm pleased how it turned out.

Current efforts are spread across multiple fronts, including getting the pedal mounts cleaned and painted, painting the engine block, and a few other things.
DOOD!!! That Nardo gray is sick!!!!

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
The chassis and most of the other parts got dropped off for powdercoating this past Monday and will be done this coming week. The garage is more organized now than it has been recently, but still not quite where I'd like it to be. This is how I watched college football this weekend.

I didn't realize how it was going to unfold that I dropped the motor + trans + subframe as a unit onto my wheel dolly... can't get the subframe outside for cleaning and painting until the motor gets onto the engine stand. Right now I have the trans on it for cleaning and painting. My donor had Exedy stickers on the grocery list, so I was hoping it had had the clutch replaced in its 141k miles, but I don't see anything to suggest it's anything other than the OEM clutch. Then again, it also had Sparco and Pirelli stickers. Interestingly, the Carfax shows it got a new cylinder head at 7k miles and the trans "removed and reinstalled" and "clutch checked" at 14k miles. Speaking of the trans, is this drain plug magnet an unexpected sight? G85 trans if that's relevant.
View attachment 18772View attachment 18773
That is how my plug looked along with the speed sensor... I'm assuming that in a 179k someone had to grind a gear or two!