Rauq's Twincharged LSJ in SC - #240 - GOBZILA

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Self-imposed requirements for the week in order to do hood rat stuff with my friends this weekend:
  • Mount brakes
  • Connect brakes to hardlines
  • Pipe vacuum line
  • Remove heat exchanger from front of car (details to come)
  • Install tunnel cap
  • Install shifter and cables
  • Install parking brake
  • Install master cylinder
  • Install and pipe brake fluid reservoir
  • Burp cooling system
  • Bleed brakes and clutch with the pressure bleeder
  • Mount at least one seat
  • Install steering wheel
  • Remount tunnel cap
I have a very small leak where the fuel hardline connects to the rail. I pulled the connection off and don't see anything particularly suspect. There's a hard plastic washer looking lil guy above an o-ring without visible defects, although I can't pull the plastic washer out to get a better look at the o-ring. I wouldn't mind an excuse to pick up a return-style Cavalier rail but would rather run with what I have for the moment. I don't think it'll be an issue for parking lot puttering which is all I've got planned for the short term (literally a couple hundred feet at a time). Anyone seen this before?

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Self-imposed requirements for the week in order to do hood rat stuff with my friends this weekend:
  • Mount brakes
  • Connect brakes to hardlines
  • Pipe vacuum line
  • Remove heat exchanger from front of car (details to come)
  • Install tunnel cap
  • Install shifter and cables
  • Install parking brake
  • Install master cylinder
  • Install and pipe brake fluid reservoir
  • Burp cooling system
  • Bleed brakes and clutch with the pressure bleeder
  • Mount at least one seat
  • Install steering wheel
  • Remount tunnel cap
Y'all ever seen a Carolina squat Goblin? DF might could sell a few front AT / rear street Goblin combo vehicles in this neck of the woods. Anyway, my first drive will be onto a trailer to go see @OptimizePrime and some other Carolina folks. Y'all should be honored. Also means my attendance will be pending that first drive going well... lol

Rauq

Goblin Guru
A wise man once said, "Never meet your heroes." An even wiser man once said, "Don't meet keyboard warriors IRL." That wiser man's screen name? Rauq. Imagine a dude who thinks he's fighting the good fight by telling it like it is, while hiding behind a pseudonym... does that person wear comic print leggings under shorts? You're exactly right. I can't agree with said internet profile anymore now that I know they're as weird irl as behind a screen... they didn't even bring their Goblin to a Goblin meet! Talk about an armchair mechanic...

I had a good time Saturday meeting @KSLunsfo @Mayor West @OptimizePrime @baustin and @Wes . If I missed anyone or got a screen name wrong, don't @ me. Tires touched the pavement for the first time late Friday night, took it around the block once Saturday morning (after a few small issues were ironed out), then onto a trailer and across the border to the Tar Heel State. We knocked out the alignment on my car and went for a spin around the block, and it drives incredibly solid. Brakes still need to be bedded but I think I will wait for license plates to do that one.

Open list off the top of my head:
  • Install/wire headlights
  • Install/wire taillights
  • Install/wire mirrors
  • Install button panel
  • Install/wire/plumb heat exchanger (behind driver's seat)
  • Plumb fuel tank vent
  • Fix fuel rail leak
  • Install/wire wideband
  • Order/install catch can
  • Order/install reservoirs for intercooler and coolant overflow systems
  • Design/print/install heat exchanger air duct
  • Design/print/install gauge pod for boost & AFR gauges
  • Adjust shifter
  • Reposition seats
  • Wrap/install hood
  • Wrap/install side panels
  • Order/install wang

Last edited:

Rauq

Goblin Guru
My 3D printed brake hose clamps were exposed for the first time, and nobody called me an idiot, so I'll share them here now. They're sized to my control arm and braided front brake hose so that they're tight on each but can still slide if persuaded. They use an M4 button head cap screw and nut. These must be printed with the axis of the hinge in the Z direction. Don't expect this hinge to go through dozens of cycles, but I printed one that was on the small side and the hinge was strong enough that I couldn't rotate the clamp on the control arm. I did test one by cutting the hinge with a razor blade and the clamp loosened up a bit but was still a long ways away from letting go. There's a groove inside the large ID if you wanted to silicone it in place. There's also locating features on each of the clamp faces to reduce the clamp halves wanting to rotate around the axis of the fastener. I'm not sure how effective each is on its own but I took the completely split clamp and tightened the fastener and wasn't able to spin the halves.

Attachments

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
A wise man once said, "Never meet your heroes." An even wiser man once said, "Don't meet keyboard warriors IRL." That wiser man's screen name? Rauq. Imagine a dude who thinks he's fighting the good fight by telling it like it is, while hiding behind a pseudonym... does that person wear comic print leggings under shorts? You're exactly right. I can't agree with said internet profile anymore now that I know they're as weird irl as behind a screen... they didn't even bring their Goblin to a Goblin meet! Talk about an armchair mechanic...
I didn't even wear my extremely comfortable cat-themed leggings. You got off the hook easily with the 80's theme.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Yea that's all fine BUT WHAT BRAKE PADS DO YOU RUN?!

All things the same, I did notice a difference once the pads were bedded (still sucked though).

My 3D printed brake hose clamps were exposed for the first time, and nobody called me an idiot, so I'll share them here now. They're sized to my control arm and braided front brake hose so that they're tight on each but can still slide if persuaded. They use an M4 button head cap screw and nut. These must be printed with the axis of the hinge in the Z direction. Don't expect this hinge to go through dozens of cycles, but I printed one that was on the small side and the hinge was strong enough that I couldn't rotate the clamp on the control arm. I did test one by cutting the hinge with a razor blade and the clamp loosened up a bit but was still a long ways away from letting go. There's a groove inside the large ID if you wanted to silicone it in place. There's also locating features on each of the clamp faces to reduce the clamp halves wanting to rotate around the axis of the fastener. I'm not sure how effective each is on its own but I took the completely split clamp and tightened the fastener and wasn't able to spin the halves.
Props on this model (and the actual print was spicy too), probably one of the more well thought out ones vs what myself and the Cat man do.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
@Rauq , would you mind PMing me the fusion model for this brake line adapter? I don't have stainless braided lines (because I'm a worthless cheapskate) and I'd like to make a model for us broke-ass poor people, too.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
@Rauq , would you mind PMing me the fusion model for this brake line adapter? I don't have stainless braided lines (because I'm a worthless cheapskate) and I'd like to make a model for us broke-ass poor people, too.
Sent on the book of faces because .f3d ain't allowed in these parts, dunno how that filetype will work for you. The whole model should be set up so you can just change the small size ID and it just works but don't @ me if the model implodes and you hear sirens in the distance.

I'm willing to deal the file to anyone else who is willing to pay in schmoozing.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Appreciate it, already got a new version printing. Set the diameter of the smaller hole from 7.8mm to 10.4mm or so. We'll see how it pans out.

Bajakid1450

Where in Greenville are you located I just got my goblin today, tomorrow it’s going to the powder coating shop. Trying to get this thing done quick. What did you do for getting it Registered?

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
Where in Greenville are you located I just got my goblin today, tomorrow it’s going to the powder coating shop. Trying to get this thing done quick. What did you do for getting it Registered?
Check my build log for SC registration process. I also posted the same process in the designated registration for road use "SC" thread here: https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/south-carolina-registration.329/#post-23365

As my post says, DO NOT go to the DMV prior to mailing the info to blythewood for a new title.

It's very easy, and cheap.

Bajakid1450