Ready to start, but. . .

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
In one of the pictures above, you're focused on the big rectangular red BCM plug ... the data pair does not go to this plug. I believe it goes to the vertically-oriented blue and gray plug, though I might be misremembering and they go to the horizontally-oriented one instead. Please disconnect and reconnect both of these plugs, taking good care to apply lots of pressure on both while you close the latch. While you have these plugs out, you should observe the BCM for bent pins, and should use compressed air or a small brush to clean up the blue/gray connectors.

But, that is neither here nor there; with the ignition in the ON position (lights on in your cluster, primed fuel pump), do you see any of the following?
  • Coolant temp -40 in the cluster
  • "POWER STEERING" message in the cluster
  • Inaccurate fuel reading on the gas gauge (empty)

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
If the engine is cranking, that's very good progress. Just to make sure, you using the key to attempt to start it, not just jumping the solenoid or bypassing things to get it to crank?

1) Turn the key to ON, depress the throttle pedal, do you hear the butterflies open and close as you press the pedal?

2) Take photos of this connector that goes to the coil packs, what are the color of the wires on both sides of the connector?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I got the trans ...
still at a loss in tracing a data wire from BCM to ECM. It still feels like two steps forward and a step and a half back, but I do feel progress, however painfully slow.
Is your 2007 donor the same wires as my 2006?
Here is my wiring for the high speed data wires.
I did continuity tests on each wire, but I am have connector issues. Compressed air cleaning, and tighten the 7mm fuse box bolts, helps.

Oh, don't mix up the purple 8 pin connectors.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Maybe stupid but if it's a manual trans you need to depress the clutch (close the safety circuit) in order to engage the starter.

barichuk

Answering some questions:
Ark - no x 3
CTU - a) no, 1) air cleaner is off and I can observe the butterfly, saw it 'flutter' only once for a short time, 2) where are the coil packs? I had thought for a while they were the two plug-looking things on top by the spark plugs, b) it is in park. I had to double-check because the cable came off the shifter and I had to reconnect it.
Ross - I don't know, but I will be looking closely at your diagram and pictures.
CaptFrank - there's no such thing as a stupid question. I'm proof of that.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
When you turn the key to the “On” position, you should be able to press the gas pedal and hear the butterflies open and close. This is a sign of communication. If you can’t get that, there is an issue with communication.

The coils do sit on top of the spark plugs. Each plug has its own coil. All of the coils should be wired to the connector I posted above. If you are not getting spark, this is something that we need to check.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The first thing I would do is unplug every connector and reinstall it making sure it seats properly. Especially the tough ones like the BCM, ECM, and fuse box. You could end up spending weeks diagnosing and find it was an improperly installed connector. Be thorough.

Then I would make sure every ground is perfectly grounded. There should be two grounds near the engine and one near the pedal box brace.

If the butterfly still does not move I would fix that problem first because it may solve the ignition problem at the same time.

Make sure both of your transmission connectors are plugged in really well. Your transmission needs to be shifted into park or neutral to engage the starter but that will not keep your throttle from responding to the accelerator pedal.

Make sure you plugged in the body harness to the engine harness connector. The data wires daisy-chain through this connector.

I looked at my notes from reworking the wiring harness. It says that you have a missing cover on the rear fuse box connector. Is it possible that it is not pulling up properly? I think it sends power to the BCM.

make sure everything is plugged in except the body harness to the ECM connector, you should check for data wire continuity from the OBDII connector to the ECM connector.

Tan/Black OBDII should have continuity to the Tan/Black ECM
Tan OBDII should have continuity to the Tan/Black ECM

You will have to figure out which ECM pins it is because I think your ECM is different from the ones I have information on. I think your ECM has one 56 pin connector and two 73 pin connectors. It may be a very early model.

One other thing, did your donor run before you disassembled it? This could tell us if it is a created problem or possibly an existing problem.

laplansm

For what it's worth. I had a similar issue. Throttle body not responding and power steering message. I checked all the fuses even the BCM fuses. I had 2 blown. I replaced them and charged the battery. The car started right up.

barichuk

Lonny, I am going through all the things you mentioned. I am guessing the car ran as it was hit fairly hard on the front left. I was too green at the time to think about starting it. The front bracket on the subframe was bent, not enough to be a problem. The multi-pin connector in that area of the transmission was possibly damaged. There was no connector as such, just some pins sticking out of the transmission. I did plug the wiring connector to it and it seems to be holding. BTW, have I mentioned how little I understand auto electrics (sigh)?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Just to be clear on you coil pack picture, there are 4 of them across the top of the motor, with 1.5 showing in your picture. It's hard to tell from you picture which ones you are talking about.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Post an image of the body harness to engine harness connector. I think it will have 16 pins and will be located in the area between the fuse box and cylinder head above the transmission.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Just to be clear on you coil pack picture, there are 4 of them across the top of the motor, with 1.5 showing in your picture. It's hard to tell from you picture which ones you are talking about.
Yes, these are the coils for each cylinder (sparkplug). I believe all of them should go to one connector one you engine.

barichuk

CTU, in response to your question and picture, the connector on my car is a 4-pin. The female side has black (or dark brown), light green, tan, and tan/black. The male has corresponding colors that match to the correct pins. Is this the connector you are talking about? I see no 5-pin plugs.
Lonny, I do not see a body harness to an engine harness connection. The body harness goes into the ECM fuse box, and the engine harness branches off to the large connectors on the computer modules on the front of the fuse box.

Attachments

barichuk

I ran a scan with a small OBD and got the following codes:
P0443 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit
P0449 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
P0452 Evaporative Emission Coltrol System Pressure Sensor Low Input
P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input
Does this mean anything to anyone? BTW, the fuel gauge registers accurate. I have about 1/8 tank and the gauge shows this. I also have fuel pressure to the rail.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I would guess you have removed the emission control stuff, like most of us, so those codes are valid, but known. I turned them off with HP Tuners.
The fuel level code is the only one new to me. If you reset this code, does it come back?