Ready to start, but. . .

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Best I can offer you is to try this:

You could make sure your car is in Park (and elevate the back wheels off the ground for added safety), unplug the single-pole connector from the starter, and apply 12v directly to the starter where the connector was plugged in. This will crank your starter and verify that starter is fine (or confirm it is dead).

barichuk

Alright, I'm at my wit's end. I jumped the starter and the motor spun, but the solenoid did not engage, which tells me it's not getting 'permission' to start. I have found the coil packs (I think) and traced the cable to the throttle body (pictured). These connectors were never disconnected. I think the headlight harness is ok. When I turn the key on they light up, and I have to manually turn them off due to the auto lights feature. I have no idea how to find the body harness connector. I have jumped the fuel pump and it is working. I'm no longer getting error codes on the dash for power steering or engine power reduced. I'm just about to the point of asking Lonny if I could ship or bring the car to him to figure this thing out ! Again I will state I am a (nearly) complete electrical illiterate. I am wanting to get the engine started because I have some transmission issues (another time, another thread) and since I am also transmission illiterate I will take the car to a transmission shop in town that I trust. Once I have these two issues resolved I can drive! I am 95% done with 25% left to do.

Attachments

barichuk

Lonny, there was supposed to be a smiley with a hand on its chin looking confused after the shipping comment!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Alright, I'm at my wit's end. I jumped the starter and the motor spun, but the solenoid did not engage, which tells me it's not getting 'permission' to start.
When you jumped the starter, where did you connect the 12v positive, to the large post? The solenoid will only engage (and the starter spin) when you apply 12v to the small terminal with the purple wire on it.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
What exactly is the current status?

1. Codes?
  2. Messages?
  3. Fuel pump when turning the ignition on?
  4. Does the throttle respond, can you hear the throttle motor move?
  5. Any clicks when the key is turned to 'Start'?
  6. Do you have a clutch? Checked the position? Won't start without the ECM knowing the clutch is pressed.
  7. Is it cranking and not starting or just not even cranking?
Some of these you may have already answered and other we may just assume. But now things have changed it helps to know the answers to all of these.

barichuk

When you jumped the starter, where did you connect the 12v positive, to the large post? The solenoid will only engage (and the starter spin) when you apply 12v to the small terminal with the purple wire on it.
When I installed the starter, I was told to connect all 3 wires to the first connector (one from the alternator, one from the fuse box, and the power cable from the battery), the data wire to the small post, and to connect nothing to the other post that has the wire going to the actual starter. That's how it is wired up now.

Attachments

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
My earlier info I posted was wrong for your donor. I saw 07 SS and instantly my brain said supercharged.
So let's start again.
Are you sure you have the transmission in park and the transmission shifter switch is plugged in completely and in good working order?
The starter will not operate unless the ECM knows it is in park or neutral. This is the switch located at the back of the car on top of your transmission.

barichuk

We
My earlier info I posted was wrong for your donor. I saw 07 SS and instantly my brain said supercharged.
So let's start again.
Are you sure you have the transmission in park and the transmission shifter switch is plugged in completely and in good working order?
The starter will not operate unless the ECM knows it is in park or neutral. This is the switch located at the back of the car on top of your transmission.
Well, the shift was in park, but the transmission was not. Apparently the cable has come off the shifter. Who would have guessed that? New problem; the starter cranked the engine, the engine did not start, and quit as if it timed out. On second attempt the starter did not turn and I got relays clicking from both fuse boxes. Last time this happened the starter had gone bad. I'm thinking the starter was connected correctly (see previous post). I will dig in and see if I can fix the shifter cable issue. Any guesses on the starter issue?

barichuk

Still getting bad responses from the starter. I could not get it to turn over so I had it tested and it is good. I reinstalled it with all three wires (power from the battery, one from the fuse box and one from the alternator) to one post, the small data wire to the small post, and nothing to the post with the wires going from the solenoid to the starter. Now I am getting a loud 'clack, clack, clack' from the fuse box at the engine. I'm very frustrated and have no idea how to fix this. Any suggestions?

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
If the repairs go click, click, click when you try to start it out usually means you have a bad ground, bad power connection or low battery.

barichuk

If the repairs go click, click, click when you try to start it out usually means you have a bad ground, bad power connection or low battery.
The battery is good, and I triple checked the power connection. I have also gone through and checked most if not all the connections throughout the car. I see nothing obvious

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a volt meter check the battery voltage. It should be 12.4 or more if it is charged.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The battery is good, and I triple checked the power connection. I have also gone through and checked most if not all the connections throughout the car. I see nothing obvious
When you do hear this, to the headlights also go dim?

How do you have the engine grounded to the frame? Pictures help.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a ground cable going from the engine/transmission to the frame?

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
There are several parasitic circuits draining your battery all the time. If you don't have a charger on it the battery level may be too low.