REAR CALIPERS PARKING BRAKE MECHANISM DIS-ASSEMBLY.

bigred

I'M WANTING TO HAVE MY REAR CALIPERS POWDERCOATED, IN ORDER TO DO THIS, I NEED TO DIS-ASSEMBLE THE PARKING BRAKE ASSEMBLY, HAS ANYONE ELSE DONE THIS YET??

Ross

Goblin Guru
The new DF kits include the parking brake. They are from a Pontiac Solstice.
Powder coating bakes the parts to melt the powder onto the part, so generally rubber parts are removed before baking the metal parts.
So, does the parking brake part of the Solstice caliper have any rubber parts inside?
I don't know the answer, but if someone can find an exploded view of this caliper, it would help answer this question.
Part number 18-B5050 is the rear drivers side brake caliper for a 2006-09 Pontiac Solstice.
Part number 18-B5051 is the rear passenger side brake caliper for a 2006-09 Pontiac Solstice.

bigred

THESE ARE THE CALIPERS SUPPLIED BY DF, THERE IS A RUBBER SEAL DIRECTLY BEHIND THE CIRCLED PICTURE, I'VE GOTTON AS FAR AS PULLING THE PIN, AND IT APPEARS I NEED A SPECIAL TOOL TO REMOVE SOME SORT OF A SPRING METAL CLIP THAT SETS BEHIND THE PISTON

Attachments

jirwin

Goblin Guru
FWIW I disassembled the main piston thing that does the actual braking, but left the parking brake alone. I sprayed with VHT caliper paint and baked in a craiglist propane oven I bought and it worked fine. Granted I kept the temp pretty low. Not sure what powdercoat bakes at.

Scott #321

Another thread on this:
I personally used VHT that matched my powdercoat on calipers but each has their own build which makes the Goblin unique.
FYI standard DOT3 right out of the bottle boils at 400 F and once its been in the vehicle for a few years to absorb moisture that temperature falls to around 285 F so I would imagine 400 F is the upper limit of the seals.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We have had several sets powder coated without disassembling them and have had no issues. That's not to say that everyone will have the same experience.

I feel like there is a better chance of damaging the calipers and seals during disassembly and reassembly than heating them during powder coating.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Mine were done by Lonny and no problem with them the one sticks sometimes but I don’t use the E- brake that often if I used it more I’m sure I would have wore down the powder coat that is making it stick. It only does it once in awhile.

lksohm

I powder coated my front calipers a few years ago but have left the rears bare for this reason. I will be doing some more coating soon and would like to try it with minimal disassembly. I'll let you know how it goes.

bigred

thanks everyone for the input, i think i'm just gonna go ahead and have it powder coated just like it is. i'll post pictures afterwards, :cool:

cetuttle

We have had several sets powder coated without disassembling them and have had no issues. That's not to say that everyone will have the same experience.

I feel like there is a better chance of damaging the calipers and seals during disassembly and reassembly than heating them during powder coating.
did you remove the piston?