Rear hub and Rotor Assembly

finazzoty

Does anyone happen to have some detailed pictures of the way that the rear hub, axle, rotor and knuckle all “come together?”

I’m probably just being paranoid, but I’m finding old donor bolts and wondering if/where they are used:

Also, I don’t think these were the original hub to axle bolts (blue bolts pictured), or maybe they are - I’m not sure. Either way, does anyone see an issue with using these? They are class 10.9 and seemsame length and thread pattern

Also, the hole that is circled in red. What is this for? Seems silly that it would be there to hold the rotor on but that’s all I can think of…

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Grade 10 shoulder bolts are correct for bolting the bearing hubs to the uprights.

The 'extra' holes in the hub face - red circle - are for a dual pattern bolt holes for adding lugs to fit a different size wheel. No bolts get assembled into those holes for your Goblin build.

finazzoty

Grade 10 shoulder bolts are correct for bolting the bearing hubs to the uprights.

The 'extra' holes in the hub face - red circle - are for a dual pattern bolt holes for adding lugs to fit a different size wheel. No bolts get assembled into those holes for your Goblin build.
That other bolt pattern is 5x114.3 correct?

finazzoty

So the reason I ask - I had a quick call with @Adam today to discuss wheel/tire selection and was under the impression that the 2nd set of holes were 5x114.3, but I think I may have understood:

based on this measurement, this spacing appears to be the same. Am I doing something incorrectly?

To clarify, the above pictures are after I removed the studs from the original holes and moved them to the other set of holes

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
The 114.3mm measurement is the diameter of the bolt circle. The 5 bolt pattern doesn't have any 2 bolts that span the circle, so you aren't measuring the diameter. Since you are measuring from those 2 bolts, it probably would measure around 110mm.
Measure the other bolt holes and see if they are smaller. The smaller ones will be the 110mm bolt circle.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
there are tables/calculators online that take the bolt to bolt measurements and give you bolt circle, You have to be careful measuring since the differences are pretty small.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
To determine the pitch circle diameter for 5-stud applications you need to measure center-to-center of adjacent studs and either multiply by 1.7012 or divide by 0.5878. As mentioned above, there are calculators and explanations with pictures online.

I ordered the drilled hubs from DF and mine came with the studs installed in the 114.3 positions. Use the method above to confirm where they are currently installed.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
This all explains a lot - thanks guys
Those blue bolts are the original hub to spindle bolts. When curiosities like this arise I go to the junkyard and pull a few examples apart and record them with my phone pix. These cars are at least 10 years old and are sometimes reassembled incorrectly during their life but rarely are two unrelated cars reassembled incorrectly the same way! When you find the same type and size bolt in the same position on a third unit you can usually trust the bolt is correct. I have seen many JY cars that were reassembled by sloppy mechs. It seems a lot of shade tree mechs forget the disc brake dust shield! I wonder why??! That Is such an odd part I wonder where the mechs that leave it out think it belongs?!! When you have bits leftover that is usually a clue that maybe something is not actually complete. Service manuals are full of good clues as well. Age puts any car into the hands of incompetent but well meaning repair persons. Only rarely are their mistakes malevolent in nature, but that doesn’t make the mistakes harmless.