Rear light wiring???

Christopher Sanchez

Can someone point me to where I can find info on the rear lights?? I’m having trouble with determining brake vs signal. I am awful with wiring.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
If you don’t have it the Haynes manual is an excellent buy. It has wiring diagrams that are pretty straight forward. While it doesn’t have as much information as the factory manual set it’s 1/10th the price.

You mean brake vs turn signal? All my diagrams are on my computer at home I’ll post in a bit if someone doesn’t get to it first

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Brown is all of the marker lamps (side markers, tail light, etc). They are all the same and all wired to the BRN wires. They turn on with the headlights.

The Brake lights are the same as the Turn Signal but differ depending on the left or right side. Left Turn (and Brake) is YELLOW. Right Turn (and Brake) is GREEN. All use black for ground.

Christopher Sanchez

Brown is all of the marker lamps (side markers, tail light, etc). They are all the same and all wired to the BRN wires. They turn on with the headlights.

The Brake lights are the same as the Turn Signal but differ depending on the left or right side. Left Turn (and Brake) is YELLOW. Right Turn (and Brake) is GREEN. All use black for ground.

View attachment 7666
Ok with the yellow and green turn signal wires function properly with the blinker but then are a constant 12v when I turn the blinker off. I have the Brown as the “running lights” and they turn off/on with headlights correctly.. the problem is if the blinker/ brake wires are a constant 12v I have no brake lights cause they are on constantly..

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Hope you didn't wrap it up already. Sounds like you'll need to trace the circuits back to the sources. The diagrams are from my '09 service manual so they're the same as what you have.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Ok with the yellow and green turn signal wires function properly with the blinker but then are a constant 12v when I turn the blinker off. I have the Brown as the “running lights” and they turn off/on with headlights correctly.. the problem is if the blinker/ brake wires are a constant 12v I have no brake lights cause they are on constantly..
Are you sure you brake switch is not stuck down or plugged in wrong? Your's is different than ours, but the brake switch and the clutch switch connectors can be swapped. Ask me how I know.

Christopher Sanchez

I know the clutch sensor is correct because I had issues and had to trace my 5v reference back to the pcm in the past. I will check my brake sensor. Maybe bad switch..

askiles

Goblin Guru

View attachment 7666
Does the light blue wire from the 3rd brake light actually get used? I don't see a purpose for it with the yellow and green wires.

Brown = Running Lights
Yellow = Driver's Turn/Stop
Green = Passenger's Turn/Stop
Black - Ground
Light Green = ?
Light Blue = ?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Does the light blue wire from the 3rd brake light actually get used? I don't see a purpose for it with the yellow and green wires.

Brown = Running Lights
Yellow = Driver's Turn/Stop
Green = Paddener's Turn/Stop
Black - Ground
Light Green = ?
Light Blue = ?

Thanks!
Does not have to but in some situations, I remember some having issues with the cruise control not working if the CHMSL (3rd Brake light) is not connected to a bulb. Our cruise control works fine without it.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Does not have to but in some situations, I remember some having issues with the cruise control not working if the CHMSL (3rd Brake light) is not connected to a bulb. Our cruise control works fine without it.
Good to know. I won’t be utilizing the cruise control function anyways. So you just used the brown, yellow, green, and black wires?

ZacMaster

Just spoke to Lonny about this yesterday. Early models didn’t require it. Later models require the CHMSL to be grounded through a resistor. This is why some goblins require it and some don’t.

dastrups

Did you ever find a solution to the brake light not working?
Did you ever find the solution here? I am having the same issue.

dastrups

I don’t know if this helps, This is on a 2009 Turbo
I think I had everything the same except for the dark green was with red and the brown with black for the passenger side. I could try changing that and see. I don't have blinkers or headlights wired up yet and I don't know if that makes a difference. I also don't have the third brake light.

ATMironov

Trying not to start a new thread...
But I am not getting any power to the turn signals or brake lights.
I have checked the brake switch (5V in, ground, and 0-5v Out depending on position) and the wiring from the BCM to the tail lights.
The BCM is not sending 12v out on Circuit 18 or 19 for either the brake lights or the turn signals.

I'm 99% sure all my ground are in.
When I put a volt meter on the circuits, I get about 200mv with the blinker off and some small changes when I turn the blinker on.
The cluster does show the blinker on, but I do not hear any relays clicking (not sure if there should be one)

Any ideas?

Corgithulhu

Is the 5V you measure at the brake switch on the red and white wire? That's fed by a 10A fuse in position 9 on the BCM. It should always have 12V on the red and white wire, as long as the battery is connected. That fuse gets power from the big 40A BCM fuse, which is directly off the battery.

If you get 5V on the red/white wire for the brake switch, your issues might be further up the wiring (or a low battery) since it should be basically direct battery voltage.