Rear Suspension Setup for Stock Shocks

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Hey everyone. I'm spending today working on the rear suspension. I'm past the point where the videos end so I'm kind of flying blind. I do have all the manuals for the Cobalt so I'll be referencing that for torque specs and whatnot. My question is... how do I get the rear shocks to attach to this?

After looking at pictures on various threads I came across this picture of @ctuinstra 's build where it looks like the "cap" is taken off the top of the shock?

vs mine:

So do I just need to loosen that center bolt and remove the "cap"? Also, I assume I'll need a spring compressor to accomplish this? I've been trying to avoid that as I plasti-dipped the springs as an experiment. I'm afraid the compressor will rip the dip, but if I have to do it I have to do it.

Thanks.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
I think the springs get cut

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I think the springs get cut

Yeesh yeah you're right. I totally forgot about that... I put that off for later when I got a grinder and just forgot about it completely

jirwin

Goblin Guru
*Only compresses one side of spring*
"Why do they give you two? One should be enough..."
*Shoots spring cap into ceiling*

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Yes that top cap is removed but there’s also a DF supplied spacer that goes on top of the strut
And I assume the bump stop (I think that's what it is?) gets removed? It looks like you removed the stop and the accordian cover @Karter2026 ? I suppose the front coilovers don't have them so it shouldn't hurt.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
And I assume the bump stop (I think that's what it is?) gets removed? It looks like you removed the stop and the accordian cover @Karter2026 ? I suppose the front coilovers don't have them so it shouldn't hurt.
I think it would be better to leave the boot. But mine were torn and they looked like crap. I see no problem running them without the boots. If we were out in the salt and snow I would feel different

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
You might consider keeping the bumpstop. Especially when cutting the spring. They'll get fully compressed and might want a soft landing when it bottoms out. Running the boots with the bumpstop inside it.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
any pros to not cutting the springs? Or is it worth cutting them down?
I think it'll depend on what engine setup/rear weight. I had cut a full coil off and I think it's a little too much. Correct ride height though, drive axles horizontal.
JCAS just recently gave me his old springs and bumpstops and planning on experimenting a little with those. (Thank you Jim)

What I have found though, with enough compression of the suspension, my ball joints make slight contact with the rotors. Adding the rear sway helps with that, among overall handling with the soft springs.

Last edited:

Anks329

I think it'll depend on what engine setup/rear weight. I had cut a full coil off and I think it's a little too much. Correct ride height though, drive axles horizontal.
JCAS just recently gave me his old springs and bumpstops and planning on experimenting a little with those. (Thank you Jim)

What I have found though, with enough compression of the suspension, my ball joints make slight contact with the rotors. Adding the rear sway helps with that, among overall handling with the soft springs.
Thanks. I think I won't cut anything off for now, and see how the ride is. It's easier to cut it off later versus buying more coils because I cut too much off in the first place :)

lksohm

Do not weld or heat your springs!

This is my fault. Sarcasm doesn't transfer well through written word. I apologize.