Rear Wing Mount

finazzoty

Is anyone aware of the logic/thought process behind the design for the rear wing mounts? I was thinking about this today and wondering specifically about the mounting height

Tinkles

Basic theory is that you want it in clean air for maximum efficiency. Wing shape and size and airflow around the car also factor in.

finazzoty

Well yes - I guess I should have phrased differently. How did DF come to their conclusion on the exact dimensions of the wing mount? Really just wondering if this was something they were able to achieve with CFD? Some wind tunnel time perhaps?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
IMO, the wing looks 'right' at the level provided by the mounts, gives a balance to the overall chassis, and I would venture a guess that is the reason for the height of the mounts. As @Tinkles stated, for a wing to be effective it must have clean, non-turbulent airflow over both the upper and lower surfaces to create downforce. Locating the wing at least several inches above the top of the rollbar (b-pillar) would allow it to work, but it would be quite high and more difficult to stiffen to prevent movement. It can be done, as several builders have raised the wing location.

But keep in mind that applying significant downforce behind the rear axle line must be balanced by downforce at the front of the car - otherwise rear only downforce will make the front end much lighter than it already is, at speed. This level of downforce must be matched to the suspension setup too, to accommodate the expected compression as speed and downforce increases. There are several theads on the forum that go into this discussion, in depth, from those who have tracked their Goblins.

TravMac

I think we are all still waiting to see who goes to NLR for the goblin scan and CFD first... ha! Seriously though, those are the guys who know their aero, and even their package for the Goblin doesn't move the wing above the roll bar.

I would probably agree though, it just looks great on the car, and probably didn't have a ton of analysis up front to figure out where to put it. I certainly can't imagine my car without it, or any higher than where it is. If you're hung up on function though, a lot of commentary here discusses the benefits of having some sort of front aero as a stability benefit, more so than any rear discussion (although I swear 10deg in my rear wing made a traction difference, but I'm still learning with it).

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Since wings work most efficiently in clean air, logic says to put it up high - so mine will be mounted at the back edge of the 'roof'. This provides for short mounts with almost undisturbed airflow - a flat roof panel provides good laminar flow in front of the wing. And because the wing is working efficiently, a smaller one is needed to have the same effect as a big rear wing, a bonus is it produces less drag. Plus the downforce is pushing onto the CG location of the chassis, not behind the rear wheel centerline that tries to lift the front of the car. So the application of front end downforce is 100% for stability and not as a rear wing counter-force, making it smaller for less drag too. Yeah, I've put a lot of thought and research into this. ;):D

Attachments