Registering DF Goblin in Nevada

Danishor

I’m new to the world of DF Goblins and I plan to get one started within a year, however I’m not sure if I can register it in Nevada.

Has anyone here had any experience with having a DF Goblin in Nevada? I don’t see any problems as of right now, just want to be sure before starting the build.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
If they deny the title and/or the registration for street use, you can always go the Montana route and register the Goblin as a business vehicle.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I believe @Torchandregdoc is in Nevada? I've seen a few references to Nevada registration in his build thread although I'm not 100% that was or is still accurate. Might could try reaching out to them. If you do get it figured out, please do follow up and share the details for future reference for others!

Danishor

W
I believe @Torchandregdoc is in Nevada? I've seen a few references to Nevada registration in his build thread although I'm not 100% that was or is still accurate. Might could try reaching out to them. If you do get it figured out, please do follow up and share the details for future reference for others!
Definitly will be reaching out to them thanks.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
It was just luck that I've seen this post. For some reason I am not getting notifications from DF.

Both Grant and I have registered in Nevada. It was a bit of hoop jumping, and more art than science, but it is possible. You will need all of the smog equipment.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
I'll give a quick explanation of the process.

-Get your car running with all smog gear installed and all smog monitors set. The computer has to see all of the equipment. You can't just install the hardware. It all needs to function with the ecm.

-Make sure you meet all minimum safety standards found on form VP064( one problem you will have to talk your way through. A windshield is not necessary, it has a NA available for checkmark on the form, however, the windshield wipers are pass/fail on the form. My DMV teller was smart enough to see the conflict and go on past, Grant's had to be taught/encouraged and finally had to go to a manager before she would procede. One note, if you have a windshield, you are required to have windshield wipers. We both registered with no windshield. Grant has one now

-Original MCO from DF ( this will give you the VIN number)

-Inspection, form VP064 at a NV DMV rated G3 shop - We used Frank's Autobody on Sunpac in Henderson

-engine inspection at a G2 rated shop. The inspector needs to put the year and model that the motor came out of, along with the engine serial number in the body of a letter with their company letter head. The motor code needs to match the motor used in the donor cars ecm if your donor had an Lnf, Le5, lsj originally, that's what it needs for this inspection. They will determine your smog standards from this info

-DMV Vin and smog equipment inspection. We did this at the Sahara DMV. See Robin. He is very well known in the Vegas smog world and has taught most of the smog classes in Vegas for years. You really need to understand the emissions system on your car. He is used to dealing with people who understand the system. If he mentions monitors or any specific part, you need to know what that is. He will get frustrated if you haven't done your homework. They will assign the new Vin with engine type and tie the two together in the dmv system.

-Get 15-90 day moving permit.

-Smog certificate from any certified smog center.

-Get insurance. I had to have side panels and hood to get insurance, Grant only had a hood. There is no consistancy in this system. We used the same agent and he was accepted and I was turned down. Both of us have clean driving records. I had to use American Modern from and agent in Illinois, he used allstste in NV

-Take everything you have to the DMV to get your title and registration. You will need receipts to show how much the car is worth. They will charge sales tax on any receipt you produce. If you take a stage one receipt only, you will pay less sales tax than if you take a receipt in for stages 1, 2, and 3 combined. We paid nearly $1000 taxes, another Vegas registerer paid $160.

Also, save yourself some trouble and complete the paperwork, inspections and smog tests the same year that you go in to the DMV for title. They get really confused when the paperwork is from a different year than the title date. Killed 20 minutes with them trying to decide what year to call the vehicle.

I have some pics and a little more info in our build log

Last edited:

Danishor

I'll give a quick explanation of the process.

-Get your car running with all smog gear installed and all smog monitors set. The computer has to see all of the equipment. You can't just install the hardware. It all needs to function with the ecm.

-Make sure you meet all minimum safety standards found on form VP064( one problem you will have to talk your way through. A windshield is not necessary, it has a NA available for checkmark on the form, however, the windshield wipers are pass/fail on the form. My DMV teller was smart enough to see the conflict and go on past, Grant's had to be taught/encouraged and finally had to go to a manager before she would procede. One note, if you have a windshield, you are required to have windshield wipers. We both registered with no windshield. Grant has one now

-Original MCO from DF ( this will give you the VIN number)

-Inspection, form VP064 at a NV DMV rated G3 shop - We used Frank's Autobody on Sunpac in Henderson

-engine inspection at a G2 rated shop. The inspector needs to put the year and model that the motor came out of, along with the engine serial number in the body of a letter with their company letter head. The motor code needs to match the motor used in the donor cars ecm if your donor had an Lnf, Le5, lsj originally, that's what it needs for this inspection. They will determine your smog standards from this info

-DMV Vin and smog equipment inspection. We did this at the Sahara DMV. See Robin. He is very well known in the Vegas smog world and has taught most of the smog classes in Vegas for years. You really need to understand the emissions system on your car. He is used to dealing with people who understand the system. If he mentions monitors or any specific part, you need to know what that is. He will get frustrated if you haven't done your homework. They will assign the new Vin with engine type and tie the two together in the dmv system.

-Get 15-90 day moving permit.

-Smog certificate from any certified smog center.

-Get insurance. I had to have side panels and hood to get insurance, Grant only had a hood. There is no consistancy in this system. We used the same agent and he was accepted and I was turned down. Both of us have clean driving records. I had to use American Modern from and agent in Illinois, he used allstste in NV

-Take everything you have to the DMV to get your title and registration. You will need receipts to show how much the car is worth. They will charge sales tax on any receipt you produce. If you take a stage one receipt only, you will pay less sales tax than if you take a receipt in for stages 1, 2, and 3 combined. We paid nearly $1000 taxes, another Vegas registerer paid $160.

Also, save yourself some trouble and complete the paperwork, inspections and smog tests the same year that you go in to the DMV for title. They get really confused when the paperwork is from a different year than the title date. Killed 20 minutes with them trying to decide what year to call the vehicle.

I have some pics and a little more info in our build log

Been a bit busy this weekend so I couldn’t reply very quick. Thank you for this, this was extremely helpful and has given me some insight as for what to expect. Sounds like a real PITA, but will be worth it in the end!

Rauq

Goblin Guru
And this is a demonstration of the community in action. I thought the Goblin kit was a super cost-effective way to end up with a fun and fast project car, but it's hard to quantify the value of the community.

Friedhouse

This is a huge coinsidence as I was emailing the Nevada DMV just last week about registering this kit car here...a worker by the name of Charles Searcy called me up and we discussed the kit car. He got back to me after talking with his boss and they have told me it will be lumped in with the ariel atom. Along with everything listed on the VP064, If it has a windshield over 6in it will need wipers, (best option is no windshield during registration) and the car will need fenders like the atom. Been lurking for a bit and wanting to see what the registration process would be like before I pulled the trigger on a donor. HUGE thank you to Torch who wrote down all of that information, that is a huge help man. Are you in Vegas by chance? My son and I are going to be tackling the kit car and would love to check one out first if you are down to show your progress so far?

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
We are in Henderson off of Wagonwheel and 95. We have the motor out right now, but it should be back in in a week. We will have a few weeks of "break in" driving before we use much boost, but you are absolutely welcome to come take a spin.