Registering my Replica

This is my first post in this forum, hello everyone. I live in Cape Coral, Florida. And I have a few questions of registering and getting a VIN for my Replica. It is a 1929 Mercedes-Benz Gazelle Replica, I received it from my grandpa and have all documentation for the car, document of origin, all receipts, everything. I was wondering if I’m able to register this for road use; the DMV said the other day that they do not allow this anymore, but they said kit car, I understood from looking in this forum that replicas and kit cars mean two different things to the DMV. It is on a 1980 Ford Pinto.

Attachments

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Which are they allowing or not allowing, replicas or kit cars, according to DMV?
If you still have the VIN for the Pinto, use it, if most major parts (engine, tranny, F & R suspension, rear axle) were used.
It is not "on" a Pinto, as they were unibody with no separate frame. This car has a proprietary chassis from the Gazelle mfr.

The DMV stated they stopped the registration of Kit Cars years ago, I wasn’t sure if that applied to “Replicas” aswell. All the major parts you listed are still in use but still not sure if a VIN is still there. I do not have any information about the Pinto. If there is a VIN, where would it be on this type of vehicle? (I’m not familiar to this scene as you may realize).

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Whoever built the car might not have recorded the VIN. Who DID build the car?
Many times when a kit car is registered for the first time, the DMV will assign a VIN and affix a small plate to the frame or body somewhere. You might look for that. You should have no problem if it was previously registered in Florida. I think they are only hassling new kit cars, though there ARE kit cars being registered in FLA. You might try another DMV office. Different people, different attitudes.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
My understanding is the kit car/replica thing is solely based on the inspecting official which is done at the regional office, not your local DMV/tax payer office. The regional safety inspector will determine if it’s a kit car/replica and then state whether it’s road legal (or an off-road vehicle).

Your kit being a replica and looking like it couldn’t handle more than a 10 degree break over no matter what wheel/tire combo is used should be a good indicator that it’s designed for road use. The issue we are having with the Goblin (and the Exocet and Ariel atom community as well) is the open wheel design (even throwing fenders on doesn’t help) as putting some 33s on it is a possibility and it looks like a dune buggy (which Florida has graciously specified verbatim as not being road legal).

I’d say fill out the paperwork from the Florida registration section listed here on the forums. When filling it out, check “replica” not “kit car” and see how it goes. They WILL need to know where the major components came from and bill of sale for that. The Pinto’s title would be the most help if you have it showing proof of ownership. If it’s in your grandpa’s name, then you’d need a notarized signed bill of sale. If he passed away and left the car to you in a will, then you’d need a copy of the will stating as such. Bill of sale will be needed for any other major components as well that didn’t come from the Pinto.

CMC Classic Motor Carriages originally made this replica, my grandpa built it. He purchased this in 1984, this car has NEVER seen a registration office, it is going to need a VIN plate as discussed by Atsma. FL does not have inspection offices unlike other states (We don’t need to get our vehicles inspected for emissions, safety, etc) feel free to correct me if I’m wrong in this topic. Atsma said they are hassling new “kit cars” which he may be right, as said earlier, this car was never been tried to be registered before (It came from my grandpa’s garage in NJ) he was going to register it but than he sadly passed. I have all documentation showing this car is mine aswell. I will try to fill out such information, thanks.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Florida does require a vehicle inspection for all kit cars, replica cars, and rebuilt vehicles. It’s not to check emissions, but to ensure it has functioning headlights, tail lights, blinkers, brake lights, horn, seat belts.

You want to look for the Motorist Services Regional Offices here: https://www.flhsmv.gov/locations/

You can call the one for your county (or nearest to your county) and they should know about the forms for registration. If they don’t, ask them to review Florida procedure TL-41 and it will detail how they are suppose to go about the inspection and titling process. But again, they can do all of this and still dictate that the vehicle is an off road vehicle. That doesn’t stop a Florida title from being issued, but it would stop you from registering the vehicle for road use.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
I doubt that a low slung Mercedes replica would be deemed an off road vehicle.
It is clearly a road-going sports car like the MG TF, another car whose replica shares its chassis with this replica.

Thanks for the great info, I will give them a call and try to get this thing titled and registered. That’s my same thought process, I wouldn’t understand if FL does deem it an off-road vehicle, but you just never know.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Just a Reminder. IF this vehicle has been registered in another state, as an on road vehicle, I believe it should qualify for title and registration in any state. This does not include The Peoples Republic of California as that is no longer a state as far as they are concerned.