Removing Emergency Brake Parts

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Since I am not using the emergency brake can I remove the Emergency Brake assembly from the Caliper. The bracket, spring, actuating arm etc... Seems like that would get rid of some clutter.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Will you need a parking brake in your state? Since your donor is a naturally and not SC or TC, I would check with Lonny or Adam to see what you should keep for your build. Will all of your normal parking brake items work on the Goblin? Again, a question for Lonny or Adam... or someone who's done it before.

DF will sell you Solstice calipers along with the appropriate hardware to provide a parking brake mechanism. If you are going to go with their parking brake solution, save your Cobalt parking brake handle, both aluminum tubes and purchase SS parking brake cables at RockAuto.com for about $9 each. More info here:

Ross

Goblin Guru
One of these works just fine for a parking brake too.
Um, no. Not for parking on a hill. Great for doing a brake stand!

"Note: it should NOT be used under unintended, emergency or long time hold brake. "

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Um, no. Not for parking on a hill. Great for doing a brake stand!

"Note: it should NOT be used under unintended, emergency or long time hold brake. "
I said parking brake, not emergency brake and these work fine parking on a hill. I've used these in past vehicles including Jeeps and they will hold a vehicle in place. So unless you have some personal experiences with using a line lock in this manner, then you only have hearsay to go on. Thanks for your opinion.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Some states don't require an emergency brake, as we have all been told numerous times, and for those choosing not to install the handle, cables and Solstice calipers there are other options if only a parking brake is desired. The easiest to install is a line lock in the rear brake line inside the tunnel near the shifter, as D.C. has done and I will be doing in my car. Simple and effective. Note the line lock on the rear brakes won't allow for a brake stand.

I was in a foul mood last night and should have more carefully worded my response to come across in a less terse manner, I apologize. We need to respect each other's opinions and use the forum for the information repository it is meant to be. :)

Edit: sorry Frank for hijacking your thread.

Last edited:

Anks329

Since I am not using the emergency brake can I remove the Emergency Brake assembly from the Caliper. The bracket, spring, actuating arm etc... Seems like that would get rid of some clutter.
For a base cobalt you reuse the front bake calipers and rotors in the rear of the Goblin. You get calipers and rotors for the front of the goblin from DF (you need to buy pads).

For the turbo and supercharged versions, I believe the kit includes new brakes and rotors all around. The new rear calipers will either be equiped with the parking brake or not depending on what you are doing.