Removing from hubs and bearings from knuckles

Chubbs

Does anyone have any guidance on how to remove the donor front wheel hubs from the knuckles? Mine are seized tight, and I am trying to replace the bearings.

I tried a punch and hammer on the back side, but it just deformed the bearing carrier. They have been soaked in penetrating oil, with no improvement. I considered a puller, but there isn't anything in the center to press against. Just a hole.

My next step is heat, but I thought I'd ask first.

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Because of the two dissimilar metals, the galvanic corrosion is terrible. Ours were nearly impossible to get apart also.

Heat is your best bet since you are replacing the bearings. Just heat the knuckles, not the bearing.

Chubbs

I thought I'd close this thread out with the result. Galvanic corrosion and friction were no match for a 12 ton hydraulic press from harbor freight (my dad has one). They popped right out, no heat necessary. It's amazing how a big hammer wouldn't budge them a bit, but consistent pressure popped them right out.

Attachments

jamesm

Goblin Guru
It's amazing how a big hammer wouldn't budge them a bit, but consistent pressure popped them right out.
A press and a bearing driver set is well worth the money. I've beat on bearings with a sledge hammer and they still didn't move but the press made quick work of it.

winddude

Take 'em to a local shop that has a press, usually only charge you a few bucks, unless your bearings are so seized you bend there 20ton press... :oops: