Removing the knuckle

Dale E

Pickle fork or two big hammers hold one to one side of the hub part and hit the other side a few times to loosen up the through bolt. Hammer ot the bolt put a nut back on it first .

Rauq

Goblin Guru
You can also unscrew the tie rod end from the tie rod (right next to the jam nut) and then deal with removing the tie rod end from the knuckle in a more convenient location/orientation. I think I picked up a loaner tie rod end tool from Advance which is recommended if you're going to reuse this tie rod end (it will go on the back, the new ones supplied with the kit go on the front).

finazzoty

Hi guys - I'm prepping my steering rack to put into the chassis and just went through this same thing. Both knuckles however, are completely destroyed from when the donor was wrecked. Do I need the donor knuckles for the build? SS/SC build

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Yes, you will need donor kunckles. For what it's worth (not 100%), Rock Auto lists the same left knuckle for the base and SS/SC models. I do believe they use the same wheel hub and struts, and off the top of my head the lower control arms are different between the two models but completely swappable, which does not disagree with the knuckles being interchangeable. You should be able to grab a pair from a junkyard for pretty cheap from any (non-SS/TC) Cobalt.

SS/TC knuckles are definitely different from base model and SS/SC knuckles, keep that in mind.

Brett

Dimensionally everything is the same on the TC knuckles except for the ball joint stud. It's 1 mm bigger in diameter. Not sure which car you have but any knuckle should work unless you have a TC then you'll need to get TC knuckles.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Dimensionally everything is the same on the TC knuckles except for the ball joint stud. It's 1 mm bigger in diameter. Not sure which car you have but any knuckle should work unless you have a TC then you'll need to get TC knuckles.
I believe the tie rod end mounting point is different as well but I don't think that makes a difference for the RWD application.