Reusing the cobalt/pioneer sound system

Oldchevyguy

Hi everyone! While waiting for delivery of my frame and parts, I am doing the harness as outlined in the movies.
Adam says to remove the sound system wiring completely, but my doner had a pioneer sound system with subwoofer I'd like to retain.
Does anyone have any insight as how to do this?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I respect your want to retain the factory audio but I strongly feel it's more trouble than it's worth.

My intention is to install one of THESE, along with a small amp and speakers to match. Nothing crazy, just something so I can get music from my phone while driving. No need to find a way to mount the bulky Cobalt head unit.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I have a small Bluetooth portable speaker by Sony that I use. Easy peasy. It even comes out of the car! LOL. I definitely didn't want to complicate things with an actual stereo system. I don't even know where it would all really go. No great place for speakers, amps, receivers, etc... Definitely don't know where the Pioneer sub would go. It isn't tiny by any means.

bradr

If you reuse the stock sound system, the radio will not shut off with the ignition. You will have to shut it off manually or add a switch you can hit to tell the BCM that the "door was opened". If you want a radio, I would go aftermarket.

Oldchevyguy

It appears that it not worth using the stock pioneer system. I will still have a sterio using the subwoofer I have, if it will fit behind the seat. For those not familiar it's quite compact and was mounted on the side wall of the cobalt. As for speakers, I'm thinking rollbar waterproof speakers sold for Jeeps and dunebuggies. Thanks for the help