Rim offset

D&dgoblin69

WHAT IS WHEEL OFFSET?
(Lea en español)
Offset diagram

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters).*
"The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel."
Zero Offset
The hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the wheel.
Positive
The hub mounting surface is located in the front half of the wheel closer to the wheel face. This tucks the entire wheel in toward the brakes and vehicle suspension. Positive offset wheels are generally found on front-wheel drive cars and newer rear-wheel drive cars.
Negative
The hub mounting surface is located in the back half of the wheel closer to the back lip flange. This moves the wheel out away from the vehicle brakes and suspension. "Deep dish" wheels and wheels for lifted trucks are typically a negative offset.
If the offset of the wheel is not correct for the car, the handling can be adversely affected. Often, when changing the width of the wheel, the offset will also need to change to maintain proper clearances inside the wheel well. If the offset were to stay the same while you added width, the additional width would be split evenly between the inside and outside. For most cars, this won't work correctly. We test fit thousands of different vehicle and wheel size combinations to confirm which ones work correctly. Our extensive database allows our sales staff to offer you the perfect fit for your vehicle.

D&dgoblin69

I would think a negative offset would be best on a goblin so you don’t have to use a spacer and rim does t contact control arm? Iam think a 17x8 maybe a -35mm off set?

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Mine is 17x8” with +43 offset. It barely touches the front control arms. A negative or even offset would push the wheel out more away from the things it could touch.

Last edited:

Scott #321

Mine are 17X9.5 +20 and do not hit with the steering limiter kit. To maintain steering geometry you will want the center of the wheel as close as possible to the line between the main heim joints.

D&dgoblin69

Scott I never heard I heim joints looked it up I kinda get it. I think these two images you can kind visual the effect of two much negative rim off set could put ties rods in a bump steer situation?cause the rim would be to far out and the steering inclination would be to negative so that a pothole would push the wheel in the wrong direction? In all the years doing alignment never heard of heim joints. Scott do you know your actual sai #’s with that setup?

Attachments

GoblinGuyZ

Negative would be overkill but a low positive would be good. The wider you go with the wheel and tire the lower you will need the offset to be.

D&dgoblin69

Goblinguyz so what would you think about a 275/45r17 on a 17x10 -35 offset? Has anyone ran that with or without steering gear lockouts

GoblinGuyZ

Goblinguyz so what would you think about a 275/45r17 on a 17x10 -35 offset? Has anyone ran that with or without steering gear lockouts
I think that’s a lot of rubber and my answer would depend on what hp goals you have and the purpose of the car. If it’s north of 350 at the wheel and it’s a track specific vehicle then I think that’s a decent profile width for the rear but too wide for the front. It’s also imo way too tall. A 40 would be max for the aspect ratio if you’re going that wide. The offset may need to be lower to clear the suspension since it’s a pretty wide wheel. Maybe a +20 would be safer.

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
In the front, I'm running a 17x7.5 +45 with 245/45s.
In the rear, I went with 18x10 +24 w/ and adapter and 295/40s. I chose those for cosmetics. I'm not disappointed.

Attachments