Robinjo #405 Full Cage - 2006 SS/SC Build "Drago"

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Wind resistant, pushing on the loud pedal too often, shaming the Racer Boi in the other lane who thinks the loud fart can on his Honda/Lexus/Mustang makes it go fast...:p:cool:
I like the look on Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, etc. guys faces when I roll by in mine. I hadn't had anyone even try to 'go' on me (yet). Right now, my MPG has to be terrible because I love the sound the SC makes and how fast it moves forward.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Not yet. I'll pull them this weekend and look at them. I recently replaced them shortly after getting the engine to run. I can't check my fuel trim, I'm not on HP Tuners.
I don't think I'm getting terrible MPG, it was more a joke about always being on the throttle.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yes it will. If you get a tech2 make sure it has a candi module with it.

The tech2 only works with GM, just so you know. You’ll get all the data you can handle with it though.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I've been driving and knocking things of the list. Of course, other small things pop up. My wife is getting a little annoyed at these small issue, but I have to remind her that this is part of the process. Next issue is my radiator drain plug gave up on me. I have one installed that slowed the drip just enough to go to Car & Coffee Saturday morning, but it'll need to be addressed permanently. After a quick search, looks like my best bet is to take the plug and match the threads. I did manage to knock the "---" issue and the coolant temperature at -40 oF out. They were separate issues but easy enough to fix. The no read out of temperature in the Torque app was annoying. But, with the help of the forum, I finally got it. So, upward and onward to the next ones!

Things to Work On
  • Info switch does not work (return does). Button is good.
  • Swap tag light (broke the 1st one) - Went ahead and swapped. Can't look like a Chet at Cars & Coffee.
  • Front trans mount - emailed DF
  • Install front splitter - awaiting completion of unit Nov. 16th
  • Temperature sensor reading -40. Fixed
  • Gas smell when turning left - Getting new (to me) neck and cap
  • Radiator drain plug dripping (slowly)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
You’re going to chase little problems or quirks for a while. Things are going to vibrate, wiggle, shake and move untIl it all settles in. With all the cuts and splices in the cooling system, those clamps may not all be as tight as they should be, so keep an eye on those.

everything was messed with, so you never know what may not have gotten completely tightened down. One of the things here the Houston crew does is get someone else to put a wrench on the critical areas (steering, suspension, brakes and such) to make sure everything is tight. “New eyes” looking it over are a big help. Ross marked all nuts and bolts that were tightened with a paint pen or marker. That’s very helpful.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
And I’ll add to rttoys comment about everything having been messed with. This means that the internet fixes for typical problems often won’t apply, such as your ect problem.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Yes, I know that there will be miscellaneous items that pop up here and there. I’ll just keep working them as they arise.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
You’re going to chase little problems or quirks for a while. Things are going to vibrate, wiggle, shake and move untIl it all settles in. With all the cuts and splices in the cooling system, those clamps may not all be as tight as they should be, so keep an eye on those.

everything was messed with, so you never know what may not have gotten completely tightened down. One of the things here the Houston crew does is get someone else to put a wrench on the critical areas (steering, suspension, brakes and such) to make sure everything is tight. “New eyes” looking it over are a big help. Ross marked all nuts and bolts that were tightened with a paint pen or marker. That’s very helpful.
I've got torque seal all over my steering, suspension, and brake fasteners to help with visual verification that nothing has come loose or been tampered with.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Found my issue with the Info button not working. My heat shrink/solder connector must have gotten stretched during the wiring harness work. It was pulled apart and not making contact. It's fixed now and I can see all sorts of information on the dash. I'll be able to track my MPG, which says 254.6 MPG but I believe that to be from the days of being an inferior vehicle (Cobalt form). My known issue list is getting smaller and smaller! It actually took longer to get the wiring harness cut to the point that I found the break. Actually fixing it only took a few minutes.

Note: if using the heat shrink and solder connectors be sure to fully let the joint cool. If not, you will get the issue I had above and it could be on something that is important. I got lucky as the Info is nice to have but not required to make the Goblin systems work. Also, cutting into the harness after you have it all sorted out sucks,

Things to Work On
  • Info switch does not work (return does). Button is good. Fixed!
  • Gas smell when turning left - Getting new (to me) neck and cap
  • Radiator drain plug dripping (slowly)

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
The heat shrink solder connectors work great, you just have to give the joint a couple minutes to cool down. I think I was just impatient during that time.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I'll be able to track my MPG, which says 254.6 MPG but I believe that to be from the days of being an inferior vehicle (Cobalt form).
Unless you've upgraded to a gas tank the same size as the Cobalt or figured out how to tell the ECU your gas tank size has changed, you won't be able to use that function.

You'll need to calculate MPG the old-fashioned way or use an app like Torque.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
You'll need to calculate MPG the old-fashioned way or use an app like Torque.
Calculated mpg and got 24.5 mpg. I'm surprised it's that high as I like to let the SC sing the song of it's people. I do drive it a good bit on cruise at 75-80 mph on the local interstate to work, so maybe that balances out the other stuff.

Also, hopefully fixed the fuel smell when turning left issue. Got a gas cap from another member and it is very different than the new one I bought on the internets. My donor came with a locking screw type cap, so I assumed the replacement screw type was proper. Does everyone else's look like the Good picture?

Good:
Cobalt Gas Cap OK.JPG

Not Good:
GM Gas Cap NG.JPG

Things to Work On
  • Gas smell when turning left - Installed
  • Radiator drain plug dripping (slowly) - Ordered fix
  • Random P2122 Code [Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1 Circuit Low Voltage] with Reduced Power Mode - Investigating. Internets say Throttle Pedal, Throttle Body or Throttle Body Connector.

Last edited: