Robinjo #405 Full Cage - 2006 SS/SC Build "Drago"

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
About Me
Born and raised in Huntsville, AL. Attended Auburn University for a Bachelor's of Science Chemistry and University of Alabama (Huntsville) for a Master's of Science in Chemical Engineering. Current profession is a Parts Quality Engineer for Mazda North America on the all new CX-50 CUV. I grew up around Honda's, mostly late 80's to mid 90's versions. I used to race autocross in a 1995 Integra GSR and won my ST class a couple times, but that not saying much. I had maybe 3 or 4 other competitors in my class. I also play soccer a lot when I wasn't racing. After the birth of our first child, my wife gave me an decision to make: Soccer or Racing but not both. I chose soccer (I play 2x weekly) and kept the GSR in the garage as a spare car until my company downsized and my services were not longer required (2012). During those time, fun things like spare cars go. Since that time, I haven't had a project car and I was constantly looked for old Honda's or BRZ's that I might have wanted to jump into. I watched a Donut Media YouTube about kit cars and saw the DF Goblin on there, then watched the Goonzquad Videos (legit/dang son insert here) about their build. With a $12k entry price (estimated) it sounded great. The wife had watched this with me and started asking question about how hard it would be and was I capable. Before I knew it she asked me if I wanted to build one with our now 13 year old son, which I would love to do. I couldn't believe she was onboard with this, so much so that she gave up remodeling our kitchen to do this. So, before the end of 2021 we made our down payment and the search began for a donor.

The Donor
I began scouring the internets for a vehicle. I knew I didn't want an automatic but was really open to anything other than that. After searching for what seemed like eons (it was two weeks), I found a 2006 Yellow AF SS/SC with 150k miles only 3.5 short hours away. The interior and exterior weren't great but what it had everywhere else was perfect. The engine has the GM Stage 2 upgrades, 3.0" pulley, Dual Pass kit (that I didn't know about) and a huge heat exchange. Oh, and it also had a stupid "FWD Rocks' sticker over the tachometer. The vehicle was running and driving, the seller was open about everything 'wrong' with the vehicle so a deal was struck. Engine felt strong, made 15 psi on the boost gauge and the trans went into gears. My father and I got the vehicle loaded and home safely and the original plan was to wait until the title came through to rip it apart, but that didn't happen. We all know the story here, the following weekend the carnage began. The title actually came a couple days after I finished the bulk of the tear down. I didn't take a lot of photos of the car in 'new to me' status as I didn't care. An extra little bonus, while getting the Bill of Sale notarized the guys father showed up with a box which contained brand new wheel bearings for all 4 corners (score!). I know most wouldn't have gone for such a high mileage engine but if it blows, it blows. At that time my son will get an education in engine internals and disassembly/building the engine.

The Kit
We opted for the shortened version with high rise bars on the side. I'm 5'9" @ 175#, my wife not as tall (or fat) and my son about her size (for now). We did option for all the easy stuff: hood, side panels, lights kit, etc. For now, we're trying to keep everything lower end of the budget. Re-using the stock wheels but buying better tires, stock seat and belts. These things can be changed out later on in pieces. Currently, we're waiting on #405 to get welded and shipped. Tentatively, looking at the end of June to ship out.
The main purpose of this build is to-fold. The first is to spend time with my kid, in less than 5 years he'll be gone to college and we'll lose him to girls much sooner than that. The second is to foster his engineering mindset. He loves building small models, so this is just the next step. It'll also teach him the basics of how automobiles work and how all the parts interact. I know these things but would love learning a different aspect of it.
2022-01-12 Cobalt 1 (Start).JPGMileage.JPGTrans Code.JPG

Even before placing the order I began scouring the Forum reading as much as I could. I also began watching and re-watching the YouTube (YT) video, old and new. I've watched each of these at least twice, the wiring video 4 times each before even beginning to follow along with the videos (making 5 times). I'll say this a lot over the course of the build but a huge thank you to the DF Goblin team and forum members. The helper videos are fantastic. Also, the support of everyone thus far has been nothing short of awe inspiring.

NOTE: I'm trying to detail and photograph as much from the end of the videos to the completion. Since there is information scattered everywhere, I'm trying my best to include photos and links to issues I have that get resolved. It will, by no means, be complete but it'll be something. My pain can be your success.

Future Plans

Drive a lot (Like A LOT, a lot)
Install racing seats and harnesses
Get better a wheel size
Quick release steering wheel
Jump to a Stage 3 SC kit and tune, Mo Powa Baby!

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Day 1 - 1/14/2022
Hours Working: 3.0
Hours Total: 3.0
Began stripping the interior and exterior. The previous owner left a lot of change, some tools and a Joker playing card. I know when I sell a car I get everything out of it, but to each their own. Piece of advice for future readers/builders. LABEL EVERY WIRE AND CONNECTOR. This little bit of time now will pay dividends later. I didn't label what the connectors were called, so that caused a little confusion in Day 10. I used painters tape and a sharpie, which was ok.
2022-01-14 Cobalt 2 (Mid).JPG

Day 2 - 1/16/2022
Hour Working: 8.0
Total Hours: 11.0
Continued stripping the exterior and engine bay. There were many, many attempts to get the engine out which we did through the top. If you have means to drop the engine to the floor, DO IT. We did not, so here we are. The engine finally came out, thanks to my wife for the assist here. She help keep stuff out of the way while I pulled. It's a relieving feeling once that engine breaks loose. You think the hard part is over, those bolts holding in the back of the dash beg to differ. The fuel pump trick really helped out. I had about 10 gallons of fuel to deal with. So, riding mower got filled, along with my 5-gal and 3-gal cans but the big payoff comes later.
2022-01-18 Cobalt 3 (Almost Done).JPG

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You have probably seen this but here is my registration procedure for AL.
Alabama Registration Procedure | DF Kit Car Forum
You will need either a notarized bill of sale for the donor or a title in you name or a different motor or transmission, you will need a notarized bill of sale for those items. Basically you need something to prove the ownership of the transmission and motor. The funny thing is I was able to get the car title in my name without a notarized bill of sale.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Welcome! You seem to have a clear path in mind with reasonable goals for the project. I'm sure you will succeed, and if at any point you need some guidance, we're here with you!

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Day 3 - 1/17/2022
Hour Working: 5.0
Hours Total: 16.0
Began to tear out the dash, finish with the interior and do the rear end stuff. If your windshield is cracked like mine, consider cutting out holes to get to the back bolts in the dash. They are a little tricky to get to and putting an extension on them through the glass would have been much easier. The fuel tank is really easy to deal with empty, you very much need to do the pump trigger step in the previous videos. The hardest part of the whole fuel system was unclipping the hoses. I broke one and there seems to be no easy fix, so a new pump will have to be sourced.
No photos

Day 4 - 1/18/2022
Hours Worked: 2.0
Total Hours: 18.0
This day was all about stripping the dash to get the needed items. If you follow the videos it's pretty straightforward. The only issue I had was getting my steering wheel off the shaft. I beat the *ish out of it wheel like Lonnie in the video with no success, that dude must be gorilla strong because he made it look easy. What finally did the trick was locking it in a vice and using a punch to tap on the steering shaft. Increasing intensity and the thing finally came loose.
No photos (again)

Day 5 - 1/30/2022
Hours Worked: 0.5
Total Hours: 18.5
(Total Tear Down Hours: 18.5)
This day we rolled the frame out of the garage. It was very easy with wheel casters, this allowed the frame to pivot. We did this with the rear tires on (momentarily) and plates under the front. After it found it's final (at my house) home, the rear wheels and hubs were stripped. Yes, those are logs under the frame to hold it up. I posted a listing of the Facebook Market place for a free frame with No Title, I had more that enough 'buyers'. The guys who ended up getting it may end up dead in the near future, they came with no winch or come-a-long. They proceeded to rock the vehicle onto the trailer. I also scratched out the VINs on the frame. Since pieces of the front end are cut off, it would be a bit hard to rebuild this (or maybe not?)
2022-02-18 Frame Stripped.JPG

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Day 6 - 3/20/2022
Hour Worked: 2.0
Total Hours: 20.5
Not much has happened in the last month, waiting on warmer weather which finally came in late March. This day was spent pressure washing the engine and parts. Not much more on this.

Day(s) 7 - 3/21/2022 & 3/22/2021
Hours Worked: 3.0
Total Hours: 23.5
My son finally got his hands dirty. He helped with the removal of the blower and intake manifold. Also, he installed the phenolic spacer, I did the bracket extension and he torqued everything (with my follow up). If you are on the fence about doing the spacer or not, DO IT. With the engine out of the Cobalt or Goblin it's easy. This could have taken an hour but I had a junior mechanic in training. Once in the Goblin there is not a lot of space to the 'firewall' so this could be fun. We also pulled the stock exhaust manifold and installed the ZZP shorty header. This thing looks a lot better than stock! Also, today is when I found out I did not need the extra intake manifold with dual pass kit as my engine had this installed. That what you get for impulse buying things. I completely blame Lonnie and DF Kit Car. If they would hurry up with my frame I wouldn't research more things I need to buy.
Take photos of engine

Day 8 - 3/22/2022
Hours Worked: 3.0
Total Hours: 26.5
Painted the reused donor parts Rustoleum Satin Black. I like the results and glad other members convinced me of this rather than flat black. Still trying to decide what to do with the sub-frame color. The two option right now are more Rustoleum or powder coat it the same as the frame bars
2022-03-22 Painted Parts.JPG

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
You have probably seen this but here is my registration procedure for AL.
Alabama Registration Procedure | DF Kit Car Forum
You will need either a notarized bill of sale for the donor or a title in you name or a different motor or transmission, you will need a notarized bill of sale for those items. Basically you need something to prove the ownership of the transmission and motor. The funny thing is I was able to get the car title in my name without a notarized bill of sale.
I have both the title and a notarized bill of sale. I actually looked at your post on the Alabama Registration before buying the vehicle and made a note to get the BoS notarized. So, you were helping even before the build began!
Note to all: Search the forum for people that have registered in your state to see what documents you will need during the sale. These will become very important when you go for VIN and title on the Goblin.
US State Registration Logs

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Day 9 - 3/27/2022
Hours Worked: 5.0
Total Hours: 31.5
(Wiring Hours: 5.0)
The day I have dreaded is here, wiring. I built a table and started stretching out this monster to get a good view. She is gigantic. Afraid but still vigilant I pulled out my trusty clips and saber (razorblade) and began following Lonnie on Wiring Video #1. There was a lot of pausing and re-watching but Lonnie (via YT video) and I got the harness mostly stripped of tape. Had it not been time to go to pickup soccer, we would have gotten the video completed. God Bless him and DF Kit Cars for making these videos. Note: wear disposable gloves and wipe down your tools after working. The harness is super sticky after removing the tape and looms. I also had setup a spare TV and Amazon (TM) Fire Stick in my garage to watch the Goblin videos while I work. This has been very helpful, we'll most likely keep this going all through the build. Plus I can hide in the garage to watch English Premier League (EPL) and 'work' on the kit with my friend Clyde May or Jackie Daniels.
2022-03-27 Harness Start.JPG2022-03-28 Harness End V01.JPGConnector Names 2006 SS_SC.PNG
Edit: I've added the list of plugs for future builders of 2006 SC Goblins, this could possible go with other years that have the SC 2.0 engine. These names will become very important as you thin out the harness in the next video.

Day 10 - 3/28/2022
Hours Worked: 4.0
Total Hours: 35.5
(Wiring Hours: 9.0)
Today Lonnie and I worked on Wiring Video #2 and #3. Only a few snags here and there. I clipped out the reverse lights (backup lights) so have to find those. Also some confusion about the various plugs and where the data wires went. My EBMC harness had two sets of tan/tan-blk wires. After posting in haste about it and then being reasonable and following the wires, one set went to a plug close to the fuse box and the other went to the OnStar or XM unit. Lonnie is right, at the end of Video 3 the claims the harness is much less intimidating, which it is. However, I do know that I'm about to have to solder and all which is exciting and terrifying at the same time. This build may go forward or get sold, only time will tell the outcome. As noted in my bio, I am mechanically inclined and can do some small wiring such as stereo installs on my old vehicle. However, this is something completely different.
2022-03-28 Harness End V03.JPG

Last edited:

PaulPerger

I did a lot of home improvements with my boys when they were growing up. I have a photo somewhere of my younger son on my older son's shoulders installing a curtain rod for my wife. My younger son now owns his own remodeling business and one of his houses was featured on HGTV! I now hire him to work at my house... he is WAY better than me.

My daughters are looking forward to "helping" me with the Goblin build... We'll see how much help they are as they are 2 and 5... I LOVE to see and hear about parents working with their kids on big projects. I think it is SUPER important for the kids.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Day 11 - 3/30/2022
Hours worked: 3.0
Total Hours: 38.5
(Wiring Hours: 12.0)
Made it through Wiring Video #4. A couple of items came up from this. I only had 1 wire that did not get labelled from the body connector that gets cut out. At the end of the video Lonnie mentions a pink coolant level wire, did he mean the intercooler pump? Lastly, I have 3 wires for the fuel pump, seen in the second photo, but the video states 2 FP wires.
0FA8B9A5-702B-4FFC-BF23-64C3B45045E3.jpeg1CDB901A-7C32-4B9C-82C2-94CB35F2355D.jpeg

Edit: If you have means to print the Avery labels, do it. I did not and used painters tape with a sharpie but this would have been much faster and easier to just peel and label.

Wiring Issues to Sort
1. Fuel Pump Connector
2. Pink Coolant Plug?

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Great. I looked all over for it and couldn’t find anything. I also didn’t have a brake fluid level plug.

Ross

Goblin Guru
My fuel pump has 4 wires, of which one is pink... apparently it has a black stripe on it, and goes to the fuel pump.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Your picture has 3 wires for a fuel pump, and my picture has 4 wires. So I'm confused as to how they are exactly alike.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
The black is a ground that came out with the lug, right? If so, I have 4 wires.

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Day 12 - 3/31/2022
Hours Worked: 5.0
Total Hours: 43.5
(Wiring Hours: 17.0)
This evening Lonnie and I tackled Video's #5, #6 and made it partially through #7 at which time my children asked for an ice cream trip. A milkshake sounded good and I'm going mad from wiring so this was needed for all. Since I was going to be measuring a bunch of old wires I made a rough jig/ruler for this. I put a drywall screw at 0ft on the edge of the table and measured out increments of 0.5ft all the way to 4ft. This was much easier than trying to measure wires with a tape. A small loop made the wires stay in place on the drywall screw. Amazon didn't deliver something I was going to try today, solder connectors with heat shrink wrapping. My uncle swears by these things so I'm going to give them a try. For today, we just did things the 'old' way. I would get heat shrink wrapping that is a size up from the 22 AWG. By using 22 AWG shrink tubing, I had to fan/mate my wires inline with the wires as they were very tight going across. If it had been a size up (I think 14-20 AWG) I could have just twisted the lines together and soldered like the videos do. This would have been much, much faster. Another thing, the Green and Yellow wires mentioned in Video 5 that runs back to the fuse box are the tail light wires. I spent about 30 minutes watching the videos over and over making sure it should have been them. There were other wires by the BCM that were Yellow and Green for the Ambient Temp Sensor. When you get to video #7 it makes sense as you make the tail light bundles.
A couple items came up from these videos:
1. I mistakenly discarded my fuel pump connector after cutting it out in the tear down. Be sure to keep your as you will need it! This is a $20 mistake but the OCD in me doesn't like that the task isn't completed. For now, the wires and ground are zip-tied out of the bundle and can be mated back in later. So don't be a bobo like me, keep ALL your connectors!
2. In Wiring Video #7 for the headlights, the darker blue wire seemed to run from headlight harness to headlight harness. In the video we cut these, extended and ran to the BCM box. I'm hoping something is mated later in the build.

Thus far, other than the FP harness fiasco and this headlight blue wire question things have ran pretty smoothly. I do know form watching ahead that things are going to slow down as a lot happens in the later videos.
2022-03-31 Harness End V06.JPG2022-03-31 Harness Midway V07.JPG

Wiring Issues to Sort
1. Fuel Pump Connector
2. Pink Coolant Wire
3. Dark Blue Headlight wire?

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I didn't do most of the Goblin harness rework this way, but I have since swapped to most connections using a bare crimp, that I then fill with solder and finally heat shrink over all of it.

If you can by a connector for $20 you are doing good. I spent $30-$40 on some of mine for the engine harness (after I was finished I could have just about bought a new harness.