Robinjo #405 Full Cage - 2006 SS/SC Build "Drago"

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Yesterday, I got the call from Stewart Transport, my full kit will be arriving later this week. Most likely Thursday but possibly Friday. Once it arrives the frame and a few extra pieces will be making their way to the powder coater, Friday or Monday, for about a week. From there the real fun can begin.

I guess I need to decide how much of these miscellaneous pieces are going to the powder coater and how many of them get satin black from a rattle can.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Might sound odd, but I would take as many as possible to the powder coater, that won’t cost extra money. I know my guy has a minimum price, so 10 little items would be the same price and 20. Anything you forget, can easily be rattle canned. Satin black is a great mix between gloss and flat.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Might sound odd, but I would take as many as possible to the powder coater, that won’t cost extra money. I know my guy has a minimum price, so 10 little items would be the same price and 20. Anything you forget, can easily be rattle canned. Satin black is a great mix between gloss and flat.
I'm considering all the nick-knack items. Boost gauge mount, windshield bar, rear subframe, rear tie rod set, etc. Possibly even the side panels....

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
I'm considering all the nick-knack items. Boost gauge mount, windshield bar, rear subframe, rear tie rod set, etc. Possibly even the side panels....
powder coat everything, I wouldn't have wasted my time painting thing if I had known how cheap the powder coating was going to be.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I would caution about powder coating some of the steering and suspension parts on the front upright. Powder coating is pretty thick and can creep over time and cause you to lose torque on those components. Sometimes a thin coat of satin black rattle can is a better fit.

Also protect threaded holes, threads, and tight fit holes from powder coating as well unless you intend to drill and chase threads.

Joe

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I powder coated nearly steel part in the kit - except the heat exchanger brackets I later found in a bag. Too many advantages not to. Perfect color match, durability, not to mention much easier than prepping, priming, and then painting. And if you're considering rattle can, a rattle can doesn't go very far so that adds up fast.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
6/23/2022 Delivery Day!!!
Obligatory Stewart Truck Photos. We spent about an hour going through everything because the frame needs to go to Powder Coating tomorrow. Basically everything steel is going.
2022-06-23 1 Stewart Truck.JPG2022-06-23 Goblin.JPG2022-06-23 Goblin_Daniel 2.JPG

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
6/24/2022 - Powder Coating Adventure. My son picked a pretty rad color, Lollipop Red (UPS-1506) over Crushed Silver (PMB-1544), if anyone has seen the Soul Red Metallic from Mazda, it looks a lot like that. I personally love that color, so it worked out great. I made sure that the clear going on it will also have UV protectant in it, based off others recommendations.
Oh, before it went to the coater we put a seat in the thing just to get a feel for it. It's going to take a little getting used to getting in/out. It's wee bit tight!

Also, stopped by to meet GTStory and picked up a set of seatbelts without seized bolts. Thanks you for those units!
2022-06-24 Goblin-JR 3.JPG

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
6/24/2022 - Powder Coating Adventure. My son picked a pretty rad color, Lollipop Red (UPS-1506) over Crushed Silver (PMB-1544), if anyone has seen the Soul Red Metallic from Mazda, it looks a lot like that. I personally love that color, so it worked out great. I made sure that the clear going on it will also have UV protectant in it, based off others recommendations.
Oh, before it went to the coater we put a seat in the thing just to get a feel for it. It's going to take a little getting used to getting in/out. It's wee bit tight!

Also, stopped by to meet GTStory and picked up a set of seatbelts without seized bolts. Thanks you for those units!
View attachment 33980
vroom! vroom! :)

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Day 18 7/02/2022
Hours Worked: 1.0
Total Hours: 63.0
(Assembly Hours: 1.0)
We put together the front hub assembly it went pretty easy after looking over the assembly photos and watching with the archived videos. Note, put the upper/lower bolts in before attaching to the silver knuckle. They won’t fit after.
BB2BDBCD-F079-44C5-8411-01C01D8046E0.jpeg

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Day 19 7/03/2022
Hours Worked: 1.0
Total Hours: 64.0
(Assembly Hours: 2.0)
Today we put together the front and rear damper assemblies. The front damper bushings hammer in easier if you lube them with silicone spray. Other than that, the archive videos go through everything nicely.
No photos yet, only have some with my kid in them.

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Day 20 7/07/2022
Hours Worked: 2.0
Total Hours: 66.0
(Assembly Hours: 4.0)
Pulled the hoses through the frame, been dreading this part. Shouldn’t have though, it pulled through easily. Also got the floor pans ready to install. My son gets back in a few days, so setting up for him to rivet and bolt the floor in.
DC2ACBC3-78AF-439E-A35C-FB123D16CD3A.jpeg

Last edited: