Robs Iowa Goblin

Robf

Hello everyone just starting a build log of where I started vs where I'm at.
The donor was a 2007 cobalt LS L61 2.2l with the F23 transmission. Stock was sitting around 112k miles on it and paid 3k for it. (No SS nearby)

It was used as a daily driver for a little while until I made the decision to let loose on the goblin. I placed my order Oct 3rd of 2022 and took delivery December 4th 2022.
Took it to a local powder coating company and paid 750 to do a full stage illusion cherry red with textured black for some of the smaller pieces.
It was fairly simple getting through the stage 1 videos and and getting the engine running. I'm currently finishing up with some brake work as well as getting the shifter on and the lines for the emergency brake and shifter ran.
Hopefully this weekend I receive the wing and get some parts coming from DF which I hope will be here next week. I have a video series on YouTube you can follow some of the build just know I'm no blogge.

Vids 1 and 2 finished 10/1/22
2 hours

Vid 3 finisher 10/2/22
2 hours

Vid 4
1.5 hours 10/3

Vid 5
8.5 mins
1.5 hours
Drop engine. Remove wire harness and dash
2.5 hours

Part 7 8 15
6 hours

Assembly 12/30/22
Vids 1-8 3.5 hours
Vids 9,10,11 1 hour
Vids 12 13 16 2 hours
18 19 20 21 22 23 1 hour
Sub frame 2 hours
Install harness and start up 24 hours
Brakes, cv axles, knuckle, rear suspension, wheel spacers, tires 6 hours

Currently waiting for delivery of stage 3 and some missing parts of stage 2. Hoping it will be on the ground driving in the next month and legal in two

Attachments

Robf

Additional photo dump

Attachments

lksohm

Hey, finally another confirmed Iowa Goblin!
Looks like you have made some incredible progress for only having your kit for a few months. I am in central Iowa, would be cool to do a meet up at a car show or just for a cruise.

Robf

Hey, finally another confirmed Iowa Goblin!
Looks like you have made some incredible progress for only having your kit for a few months. I am in central Iowa, would be cool to do a meet up at a car show or just for a cruise.
Heyyyy I'm in Oskaloosa about an hour south of Desmoines. I'd love to meet up. Can you tell me how your registration process went and the steps you took for Iowa? From what I have gathered so far I simply get an Iowa DOT officer to inspect the vehicle then take that paperwork to the dmv to register. What did they call it on the title? Sorry have so many questions just scared about the registration process!

lksohm

Heyyyy I'm in Oskaloosa about an hour south of Desmoines. I'd love to meet up. Can you tell me how your registration process went and the steps you took for Iowa? From what I have gathered so far I simply get an Iowa DOT officer to inspect the vehicle then take that paperwork to the dmv to register. What did they call it on the title? Sorry have so many questions just scared about the registration process!
Oh cool! I have a brother that lives right in that area.
It has been a few years since I went through that process. Basically, I had to set up an appointment and meet with an inspector who gave me a VIN on the spot.
How far are you from that point? Looks like you are wanting to get on the road as soon as winter finally dies.
Feel free to shoot me a text or call. I could even head that way if you have any questions about assembly. I will send you a message with my number.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I would probably use 3/16". I think 1/8 would probably flex to much, but it might be ok out of the wind.
The best place I've found to buy it is Grainger, if you have a branch that you can pick up from in person.