Ross's extended city, easy entry Goblin- 06 SS/SC, NW Arkansas

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I did haul my donor shell with my goblin.
If a Cobalt can tow a trailer with a Goblin kit on it,
a Goblin can tow a trailer with it's own Cobalt shell, right?
View attachment 18599

Once I got it hauled out of my shop, I hooked it to my van, and towed it to the scrap yard.
It was probably too much trailer weight to be safe on the roads with the Goblin.
Plus the scrap yard was very muddy. It was fun watching that huge crane throw the shell 200 feet to the top of the scrap pile.
Did you make your trailer

Ross

Goblin Guru
I did make my tow bar, and welded mounts on the DF frame. So far I flat tow the Goblin on long trips.
Oh, you were talking about the utility trailer. Yes, I made that years ago. Rubber ride suspension, with the axle lower than the wheel hubs, to make it lower for loading and unloading. Used it for motorcycle races for a decade or two, both the dirt bikes and the crotch rocket. Now it is a general utility trailer.

Ross

Goblin Guru
So I found this in my donor... with a dead battery.
Is this a Cobalt part? I didn't think that a 2006 Cobalt came with this.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep. Pretty standard fob from about 99 to somewhere around 2010 or so and the same one I have for mine.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Just as a data point, mine also has a trunk pop... but it's from a 2008 so they may have changed between model years.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Frozen Boost order came in today. DIY intake parts for a turbo.

It is going to take me a while to get this turbo installed. Guess I better brush up on my aluminum TIG welding skills.
These parts addresses the intake out of the turbo, and the W2A intercooler.

There are 6 separate systems to be installed:
- exhaust in and out of the turbo
- intake in and out of the turbo
- intercooler coolant in and out of the W2A intercooler, a 12V Bosch pump, and a cooler.
- engine oil in and out of the turbo
- engine coolant in and out of the turbo
- electrical for the boost control system, & intercooler pump.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Nice, a 180 degree cross flow, looks like the core is larger than the DF supplied intercooler. If I remember correctly it is a 9x3.5x3.5 core - 110 cu.in.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Out of curiosity, don’t you have an LSJ? Why not do the entry turbo swap kit from zzp? Keep the laminova core intake for the w2a intercooling.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Nice, a 180 degree cross flow, looks like the core is larger than the DF supplied intercooler. If I remember correctly it is a 9x3.5x3.5 core - 110 cu.in.
This core is a little bigger, at 202.5 cu.in. I think this is the one DF supplies. They are both the same price.

Out of curiosity, don’t you have an LSJ? Why not do the entry turbo swap kit from zzp? Keep the laminova core intake for the w2a intercooling.
Yes, I have two LSJs. The ZZP turbo swap removes the supercharger. I am wanting to make a twin charged LSJ, and I am keeping the laminova core and W2A intercooler. Twin charged, twin intercooled. Right now it is a small turbo, but I have sized the intake at 3" diameter, so it can handle a larger turbo in the future. There is a lot to fabricating and boost controlling to figure out, so I don't even know if I will get that far, but I can try. Both coolers are the same, which I would like to mount on the sides like the Atom 2 or a formula car.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
This core is a little bigger, at 202.5 cu.in. I think this is the one DF supplies. They are both the same price.

Yes, I have two LSJs. The ZZP turbo swap removes the supercharger. I am wanting to make a twin charged LSJ, and I am keeping the laminova core and W2A intercooler. Twin charged, twin intercooled. Right now it is a small turbo, but I have sized the intake at 3" diameter, so it can handle a larger turbo in the future. There is a lot to fabricating and boost controlling to figure out, so I don't even know if I will get that far, but I can try. Both coolers are the same, which I would like to mount on the sides like the Atom 2 or a formula car.
Ross, that should remove plenty of heat from the turbo air. Can't wait to see this setup feeding the supercharger.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Forgive my ignorance to this, but I thought modern twin charged setups used a decoupler/clutch setup for the supercharger to prevent over spinning the supercharger. Is this something that the m62 might experience?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The m62 has a bypass valve, which when opened allows air to skip the supercharger. The pulley isn't clutched, so it will always be a multiple of the crankshaft speed, therefor preventing over spinning. The twin charged setup should use the supercharger at the start of the pull, then slowly open the SC bypass as the turbo builds pressure. Then the ~50hp drag from the SC would be removed, and available to the drivetrain.

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
If you run the supercharger and add a stock size turbo you will not be able to control the boost of the turbo ,need a larger exhaust housing. Or just use an Aerocharger.

Brad

Ross

Goblin Guru
Brad, If I was to double compress the air (Turbo + supercharger) I could see needing a larger exhaust.
But if I just use the supercharger until the turbo spools up, and then bypass the supercharger, I should be fine with the stock exhaust, right?
I was thinking that the supercharger will just be working for a short period of time, and will help spool up the turbo quicker.
I am planning on having a custom boost controller, that I write the code for.

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
It might work that way, but there will be boost pressure from the turbo at the bypass valve. How will that effect things?
Brad

Ross

Goblin Guru
The supercharger spends 95% of its life with the bypass open. More air flows thru the supercharger than the engine is using, and the excess air goes thru the bypass, back thru the supercharger again. The same thing will happen with pre-pressurized turbo air.
The occasional time the bypass is closed, the turbo hasn't spooled up to pressure yet, so the supercharger is building pressure, pushing that air thru the engine and winding up the turbo.

Ross

Goblin Guru
What is the secret to removing the intermediate shaft from the differential?
I removed the bearing support on the passenger's side driveshaft, and thought it would pop out like the driveshaft did, but it doesn't seem to want to release the same way.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
What is the secret to removing the intermediate shaft from the differential?
I removed the bearing support on the passenger's side driveshaft, and thought it would pop out like the driveshaft did, but it doesn't seem to want to release the same way.
I had mine out when we built the car and I wish I could remember if there was anything special. I really did believe there was.

On a side note, someone made a comment about pulling both left and right sides out at the same time may cause the internals to drop out of alignment and thus you would have to open the transmission to put everything back. I don’t know if this is actually true on this transmission but it sure scares the heck out of me.