Ross's extended city, easy entry Goblin- 06 SS/SC, NW Arkansas

dastrups

Since you have a track frame with 3 door bars, I doubt this is the same issue I had. My frame was city frame with easy entry, extended, so it was the weakest frame DF offers.

See if you can tuck those front wheels in more... scrub radius. And how soft do you have the rear? My rear shocks were pretty worn out too.
I have 400’s on the rear but have it on full soft (fully clicked out). I’m running a base sway bar. Would you change that?

When you say tuck in do you mean increase negative camber or buy wheels with less offset?

Ross

Goblin Guru
This year I decided to do a full season of autocross, as I wanted to get the suspension working correctly, and since I enjoy the racing, it gave me incentive every race to do something to make it better than the last month. Well today was the last race of the season.

Somewhere in this year I got 2 laser wheel alignments, and tried 4 different tire combination on the racetrack, and had a major surgery on my frame and suspension. Thank you @Lonny and @Dale E for getting my goblin sorted out.

I logged what changes I made, and recorded the lap times I got. My first half of the season was over 1 minute lap times,

and my last half was under.

dastrups

This year I decided to do a full season of autocross, as I wanted to get the suspension working correctly, and since I enjoy the racing, it gave me incentive every race to do something to make it better than the last month. Well today was the last race of the season.

Somewhere in this year I got 2 laser wheel alignments, and tried 4 different tire combination on the racetrack, and had a major surgery on my frame and suspension. Thank you @Lonny and @Dale E for getting my goblin sorted out.

I logged what changes I made, and recorded the lap times I got. My first half of the season was over 1 minute lap times,
View attachment 28260

and my last half was under.
View attachment 28261
Thank you for sharing this! Something special about dialing in something like that. I have a long ways to go.

Ross

Goblin Guru

Today I was the first loser. Normally not much to celebrate, but they did kick me out of my class because I went too fast. Since I broke below 55 second lap time they threw me in the top half of the fastest class. There I earned a 2nd, but Jermey pointed out to me that I wasn't just 2nd in the new class, I was 2nd fastest overall for the day, as he had the only car faster than mine. Since we both brought our DF Goblins to the racetrack, and we collectively took 1st and 2nd for the whole day, I will take it as a win for team DF.

Ian drove 2.5 hours to catch the last few laps of race day. Got to take him for the fastest lap ever in mad Max. Tim got to be my co-driver on the last lap, which also became my new fastest lap ever.

Last edited:

dastrups

View attachment 28263
Today I was the first loser. Normally not much to celebrate, but they did kick me out of my class because I went too fast. Since I broke below 55 second lap time they threw me in the top half of the fastest class. There I earned a 2nd, but Jermey pointed out to me that I wasn't just 2nd in the new class, I was 2nd fastest overall for the day, as he was only car faster than mine. Since we both brought our DF Goblins to the racetrack, and we collectively took 1st and 2nd for the whole day, I will take it as a win for team DF.

Ian drove 2.5 hours to catch the last few laps of race day. Got to take him for the fastest lap ever in mad Max. Tim got to be my co-driver on the last lap, which also became my new fastest lap ever.
View attachment 28264

View attachment 28265 View attachment 28266
So cool!! Looks like a blast! Can’t wait to start doing some autocross.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The slicks make a huge difference. Jason dropped 2 seconds just by running them. I even drove his car at the last practice and was 2 seconds faster than running mine.

I have a new setup coming, but it’s not going to be slicks (yet). I’m still trying to have just 1 setup for street and track. I know it’s a tall order and will give up a little on each end, but I think it’s mostly doable.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
The slicks make a huge difference. Jason dropped 2 seconds just by running them. I even drove his car at the last practice and was 2 seconds faster than running mine.

I have a new setup coming, but it’s not going to be slicks (yet). I’m still trying to have just 1 setup for street and track. I know it’s a tall order and will give up a little on each end, but I think it’s mostly doable.
Streetable slicks is what you need :p

jayrolls

View attachment 28263
Today I was the first loser. Normally not much to celebrate, but they did kick me out of my class because I went too fast. Since I broke below 55 second lap time they threw me in the top half of the fastest class. There I earned a 2nd, but Jermey pointed out to me that I wasn't just 2nd in the new class, I was 2nd fastest overall for the day, as he had the only car faster than mine. Since we both brought our DF Goblins to the racetrack, and we collectively took 1st and 2nd for the whole day, I will take it as a win for team DF.

View attachment 28264

Ross,

That’s so awesome.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
The laws of physics with respect to the coefficient of friction of rubber and road are immutable.
I think the tires are the single biggest factor in autoX speed.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The laws of physics with respect to the coefficient of friction of rubber and road are immutable.
I think the tires are the single biggest factor in autoX speed.
They are, but like we have seen with other, sometimes too much overpowers the other components. There’s a delicate balance and I would like to find that sweet spot.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
True. Sometimes you need just a weee bit of wheelspin to avoid a bog, and a weee bit of drift to get the right line thru the turns...

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
We have been seeing that too much traction or way to wide of tire, is having negative affects on other steering/suspension/brake components.

Ross

Goblin Guru
When I rebuilt the stock seat covers, I added heater elements to the seats back and bottom.
Today I temporarily wired them to a 12V power accessory plug, and put the added 2 heater dials to the dash area.
Getting ready for an extended driving season this year.

Also managed to dry the car out after driving thru a rain storm yesterday. Never know if I will need to buy another BCM or instrument cluster, but it survived.

I also drilled a hole in the bottom of the cup holder, as there was 1/2" of rain in it.
Now both luxury items are fixed in mad Max.

JERMzSS

View attachment 28263

View attachment 28264

Ross like I told you at the track that day I'm proud of you and Mad Max. You both have came along ways and you will continue to get faster. I'm hoping to do more racing at Neosho next year to help get my car more dialed in.