Ross's extended city, easy entry Goblin- 06 SS/SC, NW Arkansas

Ross

Goblin Guru
Wait one darn second.
You have a trailer hitch on Mad Max and you did not hook up to that carcass on boards on a trailer with it?????..............
Photo OP missed............ :(
But I already posted that pic with my first donor....
In with the trailer,

Out with the Cobalt shell.

speedhacks

How difficult was it to convert the frame over to a full caged up version? Did DF provide the supplemental tubes to do so?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Suede welded mine... but I doubt DF has the bandwidth to do it again. It wouldn't be hard to weld it up yourself, if DF will sell you the pre cut & bent DOM tubing.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Suede welded mine... but I doubt DF has the bandwidth to do it again. It wouldn't be hard to weld it up yourself, if DF will sell you the pre cut & bent DOM tubing.
I would be interested in a full halo in the future for sure as most tracks require this for track days. It would be great if DF would ship the bended pipes for a conversion.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It’s like helmets; they don’t have to be expensive, but do need to have X safety rating, to ensure they are built correctly.

……..and you have to wear it for it to be effective. :p

Ross

Goblin Guru
Good point. Those cheap ones haven't been certified for racing. Not that I am all that serious on racing, as the local autocross won't care, but if I go to a big event they might.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Good , basic ones are not that expensive.
Those are pull down harnesses. I only mention it because the Goblin is quite small and pull up lap belts are easier to tighten when you don't have help or in tight cabins. Pull down lap belts are great when you have assistance.

Ross

Goblin Guru
So the blue harness has an 11" long strap for the anti-submarine strap, which would work well if my seats had a hole in the bottom for them.
Can I just use this 5 point harness as a 4 point harness, and skip the anti-submarine crotch strap?
When you open a cam lock seat belt, do all 5 straps disconnect? Or does the cam stay with one of the straps? Which one?

I could take my seats apart, and re-upholster them again with a hole in the middle,
or I could buy a strap extension (black strap) and put it under the seat, so the strap would run all the way around the front of the seat.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I still use them as a 5-point when autocrossing even though my seats don't have the hole. The belt release rides up if I don't. I use them as 4 points when cruising around town since I don't tighten them as much.

The release stays with one belt. Seems like it's the right belt for my harnesses.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
When you open a cam lock seat belt, do all 5 straps disconnect? Or does the cam stay with one of the straps? Which one?
I've only used cam lock harnesses twice, both times as the passenger, and both times the buckle was on the outboard/right strap.

I don't know if driver side straps are the same or different.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I still use them as a 5-point when autocrossing even though my seats don't have the hole. The belt release rides up if I don't. I use them as 4 points when cruising around town since I don't tighten them as much.

The release stays with one belt. Seems like it's the right belt for my harnesses.
Same here. The 5th holds everything down properly. I just run mine around the seat too.

and yep, one piece stays on the harness.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
So the blue harness has an 11" long strap for the anti-submarine strap, which would work well if my seats had a hole in the bottom for them.
Can I just use this 5 point harness as a 4 point harness, and skip the anti-submarine crotch strap?
View attachment 29075
I could take my seats apart, and re-upholster them again with a hole in the middle,
or I could buy a strap extension (black strap) and put it under the seat, so the strap would run all the way around the front of the seat.
Some may chastise you for improperly installing the harness without a fifth strap hole. Ugh.
The fifth strap does help keep the lap belts down on the hips.
Given you have easy entry frame and stock Cobalt belts, anything would be an upgrade! Having ridden in the Mad Max, I thought you were going to throw me out the side.....like your stranger passenger at AutoX......
The Houston Crew says "go with your plan" and then you can use more right foot on the course!!!!........ ;)

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I cut a hole for the 5th strap into my seats. I glued a piece of strong rubber under the vinyl and installed some harness inserts through the hole.