Ross's extended city, easy entry Goblin- 06 SS/SC, NW Arkansas

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Thanks to @1966tbird for getting me his 18mm anti sway bar. I decided it will go on before my next autocross in 2 weeks.
I bought the too-long antisway bar links, before I knew I was suppose to get the shorter ones. So I went to the hardware store, bought a 3/8" turnbuckle, View attachment 32260cut the loops off the end, and welded on the ends of my too-long sway bar links.
View attachment 32252 View attachment 32253

Now I have one adjustable sway bar link. Don't have the scales to cross balance my car, but one step at a time.
View attachment 32256
That green circle is a GM custom bolt... with a 10mm hex head inside the frame, and a external torx E10 on the outside. Luckily my 2nd donor still had these in the sub frame. Still need to set the camber on the rear wheels, as I had to swap the rear struts, as I had the swaybar mounts facing forward. Doh! I see I had my shocks set at 25 clicks up from bottom, only 32 clicks in the full range.
I know you are a seasoned and certified X-ray worthy welder. But. You might want to watch those little welds. :)

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yeah, It is small welds. I also worry about the threads in the aluminum tube working themselves loose. But it isn't a critical part, so if it breaks, no biggy. I will find out by trying it, and see.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Oh Harbour Frieght will sell you a tube notcher, but like many cheap tools, it needs a little help.
I need to cut a 45 degree notch, and there isn't enough room to turn the pipe 45 degrees.

A little welding

a little milling

A little paint. Oh welded up some wing bolts. Now it can move the full 60 degrees.

Then I welded 4 weld nuts on 1/4" steel tabs, drilled thru the 1/4" plate, and threaded them.

Now I have a whole lot more appreciation for what Ray and Suede do every day. I have a new seatbelt bar 7" above the firewall bar.

Getting ready for Saturday race practice. Since rain is forecast for Sunday, I'm thinking I will skip the wet race.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I don't have a rotisserie, so I jacked it high, to help weld the seat belt bar.
Recovering from shoulder surgery, and welding upside down, was probably one of the most difficult welds I have done.

So now I have 5 way seat belts and 3 way seat belts in the driver's seat, and the seat belts shoulder strap are at a correct angle.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Ross,

Harness bar looks great but your picture got me thinking. I just got belts too a few months ago and also got SFI 16.1 rated 2" belts because on my skinny body, the 2" fit better than the wider 3" belts. One thing in my research are that SFI 16.1 belts are good for 2 years. I saw your date stamp on your belts and was upset that yours expire a year after mine. My new belts were manufactured 6 months before I bot them. But yours bought last year still have MORE than 2 years left. Weird.

Joe

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yesterday's play day
I tested the rear 18mm sway bar, and the new seat belt shoulder bar... new place to put the GoPro!
Also replaced a tie rod end on the rear of the car, and a DF SS steering rack limiter on the left side.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
That is a short course. :eek: Tell the passengers to cross their arms and hold onto the shoulder harnesses. Keeps them from bouncing around.

Last edited:

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Ross,

Harness bar looks great but your picture got me thinking. I just got belts too a few months ago and also got SFI 16.1 rated 2" belts because on my skinny body, the 2" fit better than the wider 3" belts. One thing in my research are that SFI 16.1 belts are good for 2 years. I saw your date stamp on your belts and was upset that yours expire a year after mine. My new belts were manufactured 6 months before I bot them. But yours bought last year still have MORE than 2 years left. Weird.

View attachment 32531

Joe
8 way belts. :)

Scott #321

Yesterday's play day
I tested the rear 18mm sway bar, and the new seat belt shoulder bar... new place to put the GoPro!
Also replaced a tie rod end on the rear of the car, and a DF SS steering rack limiter on the left side.
What was your take on the 18mm sway bar as compared to what you have uses in the past and running without a sway bar.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Mad Max didn't push the front end under full throttle, so that is a win... but really this track wasn't the best test, as there was little cornering in first gear. I was trying to reduce steering loss by putting the sway bar on the rear. (Oh, the wheely issue is on the big 17" wheels, not the 15" racing slicks, so that probably why it has a nice low center of gravity, and no wheelies.)

Mad Max was well behaved, seemed pretty level thru the corners. It is getting a wheel alignment on thursday, as I noticed highway speeds are a little uncomfortable, and I know I have changed too many things, basically loosing my lazer alignment.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Did a little adjusting on the shifter today. This allen key donated an inch of the right size metal rod, and I welded it in the middle of my shifter linkage. Now it is easy to hold the linkage while tightening the lock nuts, and the shifter is in a better position. You can see in the circle an area that has been pounded by doing some hard shifts with the linkage too short.

Sold some Cobalt parts today, and took the dad and daughter each for a ride, while testing the new shifter position.
Sold a trunk lid with SS spoiler, tail lights, rear axle, long tube header, flex downpipe, and de-catted exhaust. $350

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
My exhaust developed a rattle in the last few days.
So I put a door in the bottom, and found my rattle, one completely loose baffle.
Now I have a 2 baffle muffler, instead of 3 baffles.

All back to normal, and the door isn't visible from this angle. Last 2 project both used the TIG welder.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I had to do the same thing when I put the stock exhaust back on my Camaro. Mufflers had been in storage for a while and it had a couple of acorns or hickory nuts in it.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
My exhaust developed a rattle in the last few days.
So I put a door in the bottom, and found my rattle, one completely loose baffle.
Now I have a 2 baffle muffler, instead of 3 baffles.
View attachment 33768 View attachment 33769 View attachment 33770 View attachment 33771

All back to normal, and the door isn't visible from this angle. Last 2 project both used the TIG welder.
View attachment 33772
Ross I am disappointed….
You did not weld back the baffle? Add another one while you were in there?
Put a hinge on that new inspection door?
come on mannnnnn……..

;)