Ross's extended city, easy entry Goblin- 06 SS/SC, NW Arkansas

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Those should make your Goblin look completely different (and handle different) than the 'stockers' you have installed now. May need to do a little suspension tweaking when they get installed. Should be awesome! :p

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Page 5 of my build has the measuring details...
but they are Nitto NT05R Drag Radial Tire - 315/35R17
Barely street legal, useless in the rain, noisy, poor gas mileage, all the qualities I want!
I don't know about the NT05r but the NT01 is an awesome tire if its the NT01 compound its bound to be great. Care to share your backspacing measurements ?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I don't know about the NT05r but the NT01 is an awesome tire if its the NT01 compound its bound to be great. Care to share your backspacing measurements ?
You bet! Page 5 mentions:
Backspacing: 173mm on the wheel, and a 39mm spacer.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I'm getting a wheel alignment on Monday, and I need to tell them the specifications.
Do I have all the info I need? Would you do anything different?

So far it is:
Ride heighth: Make the bottom swing arm horizontal when loaded with 2 passengers.
Camber: 1.5 degrees, front & rear
Caster: 9 degrees +- 0.5
Toe in: 1/8" per wheel width (26")

I am wanting the wheels aligned for driving on the street, not aggressive track.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I'm getting a wheel alignment on Monday, and I need to tell them the specifications.

So far it is:
Ride heighth: Make the bottom swing arm horizontal when loaded with 2 passengers.

I am wanting the wheels aligned for driving on the street, not aggressive track.
Sounds good.

ccannx

Goblin Guru

So far it is:

Looks good ! Is 9 degrees caster normal for the Goblin ? I think normal in the corvette is between 5-7 I know if you go too high it can make it harder to steer.

Have you studied any oversteer understeer charts ?

Our mr2 Spyder can be very darty at times it takes some getting used to the different yaw points. We run 0 toe all the way around. If I drove the car on the road I would likely toe it in at least 1/16 to 1/8 on all four corners to stabilize it.

I just use string line, toe plates and camber caster gauges at home because I got tired of having to redo alignments. Once you get used to it it’s hard to trust an alignment shop to get it where you want it.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Looks good ! Is 9 degrees caster normal for the Goblin ? I think normal in the corvette is between 5-7 I know if you go too high it can make it harder to steer.

Have you studied any oversteer understeer charts ?

Our mr2 Spyder can be very darty at times it takes some getting used to the different yaw points. We run 0 toe all the way around. If I drove the car on the road I would likely toe it in at least 1/16 to 1/8 on all four corners to stabilize it.

I just use string line, toe plates and camber caster gauges at home because I got tired of having to redo alignments. Once you get used to it it’s hard to trust an alignment shop to get it where you want it.
I think they do so much caster because the car is so light on the front - only 600 pounds with a 200 pound driver in it.

Ross

Goblin Guru
My Goblin has been on the road a week, and my daily driver is getting serviced.
Time to test if it can be used as a truck.

3'x5' sheet of plywood, check.
5 2x4s, check.
Box of tools, check.
Skill saw, impact driver, drill, power planer, extension cords, check.

I needed another 2x4, so off to the hardware store.

And in the end, the local pantry got a newly raised front step, that is grocery cart friendly.
Priceless.
Goblin truck, check.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Today I put on the wide tires, and took it out for a test drive.
The power steering cut out after 5 minutes of driving. It turns back on when I restart the engine, but cuts out during the first turn.
Bad power steering motor? Maybe thermal cutout? It didn't feel hot to the touch. It worked well on the 215mm tires, but doesn't like the 315mm.

It is a lot more stuck down to the road.
Brakes still able to easily over-power the available traction, but it will put you on the seatbelts.
First and Second are a lot more stable, power induced wheel spin only under heavy usage (/abuse) of the controls.
Cornering is going to take some more learning - it is quite a turning machine.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You would think the lighter front end would not have that much friction even with the wider tires but it's the only possible cause. If it's not heat, must be current.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Maybe it’s throwing a code if it’s shutting off on purpose. The wire is going further than before a larger wire may be in order.

Last edited:

DCMoney

Goblin Guru

Ross

Goblin Guru
You providing power to the power steering from the fuse block or directly from the battery?
I'm not sure... I did too many wires, and forget which fuse & wire it is. I should have some time later this week to diagnose.

Maybe it’s throwing a code if it’s shutting off on purpose. The wire is going further than before a larger wire may be in order.
You are correct... the dash shows "Power Steering", so the car knows.

My RZR has electric power steering and I had issues with it a while back, it was turning off while riding, was getting an overcurrent protection code, turned out the fuse was loose in the fuse block, tightened the terminal up and no more issue.

https://evwest.com/support/General Motors Electric Power Steering.pdf
Good to know... I'll take a close look at the connections.
Wow - nice write up on how the GM steering works. Looks like it can be changed in HP Tuners... I need to learn/pick a HP Tuners option... $800 or $500?

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I had some time today to diagnose the power steering.

The power cuts out sub-second, and I didn't think my meter would catch a sudden voltage drop.
So I used my oscilliscope to monitor the voltage at the power steering unit.
No voltage drop noticed.

Put the small tires back on, and took it for a test drive.
The power steering still didn't work.
So the problem isn't the wide tires.

Bought a used power steering unit from a local auto recycler for $60

Put the motor on, and it worked better.
Test drive with the small tires, and it is working.
Test drive with the big tires, and it is working!
Problem solved. Not sure if the big tires will wear it out early, but I will find out.

My custom 13" wide aluminum fenders arrived.
I ordered 2 extra long fenders so that I could cut them in half, and make 4 short fenders.
But I placed the long fenders on the front to see the "mad max" look.

Last edited: