Ross's extended city, easy entry Goblin- 06 SS/SC, NW Arkansas

KSLunsfo

It should just pop out. I don't recall doing anything special and don't recall it putting up much of a fight when I removed mine (not sure if there's much difference with the TC here.) I can say, I think I left the bearing carrier bolted to the block and pulled the transmission away from it. That may or may not be particularly helpful...

On a side note, someone made a comment about pulling both left and right sides out at the same time may cause the internals to drop out of alignment and thus you would have to open the transmission to put everything back. I don’t know if this is actually true on this transmission but it sure scares the heck out of me.
I would really hope not! I didn't seem to have an issue at least.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I don't remember anything special about removing it, but doesn't mean I didn't forget anything. I'm more sure there wasn't anything special to reinstall it, since that was more recent.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
someone made a comment about pulling both left and right sides out at the same time may cause the internals to drop out of alignment
With open diffs there is a risk of the spider gears moving out of alignment and possibly falling out. I would make sure to have the axles in any time I started the engine. I don't think they will miss align just sitting there.

Ross the intermediate shaft should just slide out.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Me fighting with the stuck axle. Also seem to have a stuck intermediate shaft.
Edit: The missing video became the first portion of this video.
I'm not succeeding!
I tried with the 8 pound sledge, and no come-along, and that didn't work either.

Last edited:

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Me fighting with the stuck axle. Also seem to have a stuck intermediate shaft.
I'm not succeeding!
I tried with the 8 pound sledge, and no come-along, and that didn't work either.
Instead of the sledge and come along, try anchoring the axle to a car, and the intermediate shaft to the back of another car and drive one away. That’s be my next move

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I believe you can rent this tool at advance or autozone it is what I always use. I have removed both parts numerous times without issues dang that is stuck hard!

Ross

Goblin Guru
I believe you can rent this tool at advance or autozone it is what I always use. I have removed both parts numerous times without issues dang that is stuck hard!
View attachment 21195
I rented that tool. The little 1 pound slide hammer is about 1/100th the force of my 8 pound sledge and come-along. I think I will take Lonny's advice, remove spark plug #4, R3drckt's advice, and strap it to a truck, and little of Dale E's advice, and break out the cutting torch. I want to save the intermediate shaft, and the tranny is scrap metal. Never had to cut a tranny open before, but there is a first time for everything. Brute force and ignorance prevails!

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I've had some trouble getting them out but usually my tire prybar and rubber mallet are able to pop them out. I think there is a spring washer of sort that gets caught. A push in and hard pull out seems to work for me.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Just a dumb member here. Did you try rotating the drive shaft to several different orientations to try to get the snap ring in a different position?

Ross

Goblin Guru

When I installed the engine with the new transmission, I decided to try the intercooler behind the drivers head.
The intercooler coolant doesn't get very warm even when the supercharger is pumping out 12 PSI, so I decided the additional visibility, when shoulder checking, was more important. It is about 6" behind the headrest. We will see if this works.

TravMac

I'd sure like to know about the axle too. No joke I've been staring at mine for 3 hours today giving it everything... And still same result as you got in the video. Figure I'll just bolt everything back together for now and wait for it to explode