Ross's extended city, easy entry Goblin- 06 SS/SC, NW Arkansas

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Being Ross's build, the exhaust tip will start hopping around, we'll watch a bunch of cool GoPro videos, everyone and their mom will throw in their $0.02, the manifold, muffler, and tip will all get swapped to no avail, the DF team will get it fixed in a day, and Ross will be even faster afterwards.

Whidbey Goblin

Mad Max didn't push the front end under full throttle, so that is a win... but really this track wasn't the best test, as there was little cornering in first gear. I was trying to reduce steering loss by putting the sway bar on the rear. (Oh, the wheely issue is on the big 17" wheels, not the 15" racing slicks, so that probably why it has a nice low center of gravity, and no wheelies.)

Mad Max was well behaved, seemed pretty level thru the corners. It is getting a wheel alignment on thursday, as I noticed highway speeds are a little uncomfortable, and I know I have changed too many things, basically loosing my lazer alignment.
Do you feel like the sway bar improved the cars handling at higher speeds? I’m thinking about putting mine on, the cornering is great on the track but it’s scary over 120 miles an hour especially on tracks with walls.

Ross

Goblin Guru
My goblin needs more downforce, as it isn't comfortable above 90 mph. The swaybar helps understeer, so that is good. I'm not sure if the swaybar helps at high speeds, as I haven't taken it to a high speed track.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Is it the nose getting light or the tracking wanting to wander?

Front splitter may help the nose if it's getting light, wouldn't hurt to have this even if it's something else.

Have you checked your alignment lately? May be something is off just a bit after miles of hard driving? :cool:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
My goblin needs more downforce, as it isn't comfortable above 90 mph. The swaybar helps understeer, so that is good. I'm not sure if the swaybar helps at high speeds, as I haven't taken it to a high speed track.
I have a new splitter coming. Thicker so it won’t flex. This will hopefully keep me from using any other supports. I’ll send you my old one when I get it. it really does help.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Both the nose gets light, and the steering is very accurate... too accurate actually. I find if I lightly hold the steering wheel in the finger tips, look way ahead down the road, and let the car have the freedom to track, it is best. If I start white knuckling, and holding the steering tight, it gets darty, and follows my every micro movement. I know the front wing and splitter will help. I am building a CNC router table so that I can make a front wing out of fiberglass. It is going slower than I want, but it is making progress. Spent some time learning CAD again, designed a table.

Then a week ago I started making it. Not much more than a wood table, but I'm starting on the gantry.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Sounds like the power steering is a possible cause for the twitchiness by adding too much input at higher speed.

Lengthening the steering arm on the hub upright or going to a Vue variable ratio steering box are a couple suggestions. Going to a full manual steering set up is another possibility too.

Last edited:

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Sounds like the power steering is a possible cause for the twitchiness by adding too much input at higher speed.

Lengthening the steering arm on the hub upright or going to a Vue variable ratio steering box are a couple suggestions. Going to a full manual steering set up is another possibility too.
I’ve considered the manual steering option, but I’m going to wait for a professional alignment and a front wing before I pursue it. The twitchiness at speed is unsettling, specially when hitting a slight bump and the front wants to turn when the steering wheel didn’t move (it feels like at least).

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have measured the bumpsteer. There is a little in the front, and I wish there was a cobalt bump steer kit, but the closest I have found it the corvette bump steer kit.

Scott #321

Is it possible to program an output in HP tuners to energize or denergise at a specific speed that could be relayed to cut power to the PS pump motor?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Well, the cobalt uses an electric power steering unit, so no PS pump. I'm not sure the power steering is the issue. I have had several wheel alignments, but they all vary in quality, and probably would be my first suspect.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I have measured the bumpsteer. There is a little in the front, and I wish there was a cobalt bump steer kit, but the closest I have found it the corvette bump steer kit.

I should have quoted r3drckt when I asked the question.
I’ve considered the manual steering option, but I’m going to wait for a professional alignment and a front wing before I pursue it. The twitchiness at speed is unsettling, specially when hitting a slight bump and the front wants to turn when the steering wheel didn’t move (it feels like at least).

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Both the nose gets light, and the steering is very accurate... too accurate actually. I find if I lightly hold the steering wheel in the finger tips, look way ahead down the road, and let the car have the freedom to track, it is best. If I start white knuckling, and holding the steering tight, it gets darty, and follows my every micro movement. I know the front wing and splitter will help. I am building a CNC router table so that I can make a front wing out of fiberglass. It is going slower than I want, but it is making progress. Spent some time learning CAD again, designed a table.
View attachment 34399

Then a week ago I started making it. Not much more than a wood table, but I'm starting on the gantry.
View attachment 34400
I take it the layup in this last photo is one of the gantry uprights for the side of the table - as my guess from looking at the CAD pic? I would have thought it would be made from CADBOARD first like the rest of us poor Goblin builders. :p:cool:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Awesome. :cool:

even funnier when they don’t know what it is and try to make it look like they do know what it is. :D