Rotor measurements for 08-10 LNF Brembo brakes?

Tinkles

I am looking at putting together a set of 2 piece rotors to use with my Brembo calipers up front and 5x114 bolt pattern. Would someone be able to get a few measurements of the stock Brembo rotors for me? I need the offset measurement of the "hat" and rotor thickness. I recall seeing that the rotor diameter is ~12.25". I believe the offset is measured from the center of the rotor to the backside of the "hat".

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Kyle,
I have my donor on 'roller skates' to be able to move around the garage. I will be putting it up on jackstands as soon as I can get me drivers side door open - rearender crunched the quarter panel into the back edge of the door. If no one provides an answer by then, I will get the measurements for the Brembos.
Tim

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Kyle,
I took some measurements from my Brembos, hope this what you need. I hope my drawing makes sense, but I think the measurement you were looking for is the depth of the hat (inside)? This measurement is 1.425 inches as best I can measure. The rotor is 1.000 inch, so the offset is 0.925 inch from the measurements I took. I also have the measurements from the caliper mount face to the inside edge of the rotor 0.800 inch and to the face of the bearing hub 2.200 inches. Hope this helps, because I am looking at using the Brembos on my car and anything I can do to help at this point I would hope will help me too. The Brembo rotor is 315mm or 12 7/16 inches.
BTW, the rear brakes on the SS (FE5) are 291mm or 11 1/2 inches.
Regards, Tim

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinkles

Ok, I believe I was wrong on how to measure the offset of the rotor. Looking a the pictures of 2 piece rotors closer it looks like it stops at the rotor face, not halfway. But with the rotor being 1" think and you got ~1.42" to the back of the rotor it looks like the hat offset needs to be .42".

These are the closest rotors I could find on Wilwood's site to the OEM rotor. 12.44" diameter and 1.19" thick.

And the best match I could find for a hat. 5x114.3 bolt pattern with a .41" offset.

Another thought is that rotor combo is looking to be almost 16.5lbs each and I think I have seen that the LNF rotors are 18lbs.

I might have to play around with a few thin shims, but it is looking a bit promising.

Tinkles

I have not looked into it anymore than what I have posted. I have a decent amount of other things going on ATM, so I have shelved the brake project until I am ready to install the brakes.

Tinkles

I have spent the past 24ish hours trying to make headway on this. The 1.19" thick rotors will physically not fit into the caliper. They are .09" too big. Wilwood has 1.10" thick rotors but they are 327mm in diameter and that is 6mm bigger than the largest rotor I find that is confirmed to fit. I called up Wilwood to see what they recommended and they do not recommend modifying their rotors in anyway. But they did recommend contacting Coleman Racing Product to have custom rotors made. I got quoted ~$245 per rotor for 12.5" tall, 1.10" wide, vented, cross drilled, slotted, and bolts to the Wilwood hats that are on their way to me. Which is ~$20 cheaper than the Wilwood rotors. So I am going that route for rotors. The Wilwood hats should still work. The hats are suppose to arrive on Monday and it is going to be 2-3 weeks before I get the rotors.

I am getting a weird kind of enjoyment out of this self created headache. I kinda want to figure out a 2 piece rotor for the "stock" DF brakes.

Classy

160-12892 for the rotor
170-14095 for the hat

without having something in front of me to work with, I was thinking about running this and adapting the mounts to fit with it. This rotor is on the skinnier side at I think .81? I agree with wilwood, I wouldn’t modify the rotor, but the mounting of the caliper is fair game!

Tinkles

The diameter of that rotor is too small to work with the Brembo calipers. I don't have a set of the standard calipers from the kit so I cannot confirm if that diameter is good or not for those calipers. As for figuring out rotor thickness, toss a fresh set of pads in a fully seated caliper, measure the distance between the pads, and subtract .04" from that measurement. Subtract .04" so you end up with .02" pad clearance on each side.

Are you going with the 5x114 hubs or the stock 5x110 Cobalt hubs? 5x.4.5 is 5x114. It would suck to put all of the effort in just to have everything figured out for the wrong bolt pattern.

Classy

I would be going with 5x114.3 hubs. I missed the part about the brembos, it doesn’t hurt to go to a larger rotor, just means better cooling and more surface area.

Tinkles

I have been double and triple checking my measurements for the rotors and the only measurement I that was giving trouble verifying was the overall rotor diameter. I read 12.5" fits, but I wanted to check myself since I don't want to order and be stuck with the wrong rotors. A little math, some cutting/drilling, and 1 bolt later I had a stand in for the rotor.

Plenty of room for a 12.5" diameter rotor.

Rotors are ordered and it will be a few weeks before they arrive. I will put together a "How To" thread with all of the info in it. In the meantime I think I am going to try to get my hands on a non Brembo caliper to figure out rotors for the rest of ya.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I didn't see an answer to my question in your build thread, so forgive me if this has been discussed previously. Is there a specific reason why you're intending to run the Brembos? Are you going to vacuum regulate-down the power assist or run them manual? I'm totally just curious. In any case they'll look good!

Tinkles

Aesthetics mainly, they are a better looking caliper IMO. I am running a Wilwood pedal box with divorced manual master cylinders and will be installing an adjustable pressure regulator in both brake circuits. So I should have alot of adjustablity over the pressure/bias of the brake system. I am also planning on running a set of OEM Brembo 2 piston rear calipers off of a Evo X or 9, so I will have to do all of this again in the spring. As of now I plan on solving the parking brake issues with a separate set of mechanical Wilwood calipers and a custom mounting bracket.

Tinkles

I vented about this in my build thread, but I royally screwed up 1 spec with the custom rotors and didn't realize it until now.

4 bolt holes line up so I can still mock it up to verify fitment. I wasn't able to check everything today, but will this weekend. So far it does look like I will have to tweak the rotor offset a smidgen, but I will make that adjustment for myself on the custom hats I now have to order.

Tinkles

I had every single intention on getting out to the garage to finish up the measurements and get the hats ordered over the weekend, but the past week got pretty busy. Measurements have been taken. Math needs to be done now(I hated math in high school).

To me this is one of those photos that is extremely satisfying. The pads do not overhang the rotor at all.

Side note. I was watching Top Gear the other day where they built a Caterham Seven and the Stig drove a completed Caterham Seven from the factory to see if it was quicker to build your own car at the racetrack or to drive it. Anywho the front brakes on the Seven they built were 4 piston Brembo style calipers.

Tinkles

Measurements/math are done. I might have found a cheaper solution to my screw up. But as of now if anyone else wants to run 2-piece rotors for the Brembo calipers I can post up the info.

I have some rough measurements to figure out a 2-piece rotor for the normal calipers. But I ended up not picking the right caliper from the parts store.(18-B4880 instead of 18-B4880A)

I have no intentions of selling 2-piece rotor kits. All I am doing is figuring it out. So someone else would have to order the parts on their own to confirm fitment with regular calipers.

ATMironov

This might not be the right place, but have you figured out what size master cylinders you are going to use?
Also, I'm looking for the Brembo Piston sizes to help in my calculations, if you have it let me know.

Tinkles

I am running dual 0.75" diameter Wilwood master cylinders with a Wilwood pedal box. I am also running a pressure reducing valve in each brake circuit to help fine tune the brake pressure. I am using the .75" master cylinders as a starting point and will swap them out to a different bore diameter if I need to.