Rttoys’s track- ‘06 ss/sc #184

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Old school 8 cylinder muscle just does not look kindly at the light little 4 bangers with turbos and superchargers......... ;)
Even though we can blow the steel doors off of 'em....

:cool:
Yeah, we got the stink eye pretty bad at the local drags in ID. from the V8's. It will be worse next year when we have a tune and some slicks.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Probably need to explain the Ecotec is a Chevy/GM engine that doesn't run on rice. Same engine in the turbo Camaros only it sits sideways in the back. Knowing a Goblin started life as a Chevy Cobalt can help ease their angst, at least until someone finds out just how fast a Goblin is.:p

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
The only thing I wish the goblin had, would be a V8. Just can’t beat the sound.......well a L-twin Ducati at 10-12000 rpm might be better, but you know what I mean.

I just find it funny how some people get hung up on old old cars. plus, car “lingo” is always humorous.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I will figure it out, I will help you with yours when I am done
Get a 9th Gen impala SS with the 5.3L transverse mounted v8. Should squeeze into the goblin after relocating the fuel tank :D

edit:
05-08 Grand Prix gxp
06-09 impala ss
06-07 Monte Carlo ss
08-09 lacrosse super

all had the LS4 transverse engine

Last edited:

Dale E

I enjoy the sound of a well tuned and muffled V8 (not the noisy Ford's though that are out today). I like carbureted cars and minimal computers. I even like my old reliable 80 hp Lotus Europa for driving fun. My cars run Weber carbs (except for the GM V6 3.4 - 390 Holly and the Supercharged 3800). Can't beat the sound of a well tuned 4 cylinder with butterfly, slider or barrel injected throttle bodies either. The Corvette and the Impala SS have V8's and they are fun to take out for a cruise also.

And I don't think you need to relocate the gas tank for a V8 (longitudinally or transverse) to fit in a Goblin, unless you want to transfer weight to the front. But, I admit I've been wrong before and will be again.

You folks have a fabulously awesome platform in the Goblin to build on. Do it, make the most of it. It's a great bang for the buck and you will get more attention than you ever wanted. Learn to drive it - it has more potential than you will ever achieve. Set it up right and it will beat a lot of high powered cars (except on the straights on track where horse power wins).

Love the support from your group. DF has a great team, support them so they can continue to improve and develop options in the future.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
The only thing I wish the goblin had, would be a V8. Just can’t beat the sound.......well a L-twin Ducati at 10-12000 rpm might be better, but you know what I mean.

I just find it funny how some people get hung up on old old cars. plus, car “lingo” is always humorous.
A cross-plane m1 sounds really cool at that rpm also.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I enjoy the sound of a well tuned and muffled V8 (not the noisy Ford's though that are out today). I like carbureted cars and minimal computers. I even like my old reliable 80 hp Lotus Europa for driving fun. My cars run Weber carbs (except for the GM V6 3.4 - 390 Holly and the Supercharged 3800). Can't beat the sound of a well tuned 4 cylinder with butterfly, slider or barrel injected throttle bodies either. The Corvette and the Impala SS have V8's and they are fun to take out for a cruise also.

And I don't think you need to relocate the gas tank for a V8 (longitudinally or transverse) to fit in a Goblin, unless you want to transfer weight to the front. But, I admit I've been wrong before and will be again.

You folks have a fabulously awesome platform in the Goblin to build on. Do it, make the most of it. It's a great bang for the buck and you will get more attention than you ever wanted. Learn to drive it - it has more potential than you will ever achieve. Set it up right and it will beat a lot of high powered cars (except on the straights on track where horse power wins).

Love the support from your group. DF has a great team, support them so they can continue to improve and develop options in the future.
Hello Dale, nice to see your post. ;)

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
A cross-plane m1 sounds really cool at that rpm also.
Love the new R1 sound. :cool: Hell, I have been to every Motogp at cota. Love all those bikes. Can’t beat the sound of those running down the front straight, with the sound echoing off the grandstands. o_O

being down in the paddock is pretty bad ass too.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
So a lot has happened over the last year. I added a rear sway bar, the stock cobalt wing, a rear defuser and front splitter, plus have changed the alignment probably 10 times or better. The goblin drives really well now.

The coolest mod I have made are my wheels. I was running 245’s all the way around on 7.5” wide wheels. This pushed the tires in a bit, but still did well on the street and ok at autocross. I needed more traction at autocross but going wider on tires is not going to happen on 7.5” wide wheels. Soooooooo off to search for wider wheels. There’s a lot of options on different bolt patterns, but wanted to keep the stock setup, which is hard to come by. i ended up on Forgestar website and had them make custom wheels for me. here are the specs:

Forgestar F14
semi concave
matte black
17x9
65.1 hub
5x110mm
backspace +10
weight 23#

I transferred the R888R 245’s to the front and put R888R 275s on the rear.

This has really up’d the traction on the goblin. :cool: So far a great mix for street and track.
217FB228-A7D4-494C-A9F8-8CAD70C02A9F.jpeg

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Did you get a 9lives rear diffuser?
No, couldn’t justify the cost. SACTX (Scott) and I got together and made a couple out of alumilite and another friend of mine over engineered some fins out of aluminum plate.

We also made front splitter’s. The splitter really changed the high speed stability of the goblin, but I couldn’t tell you if the defuser did anything other than kind of finish off the back end.
77E05827-ECF9-4A23-9890-FF684D220038.jpeg
0DAB7AB8-E843-4559-A518-9B7563AE7C25.jpeg
79BC451B-4C98-4A7C-8684-E1595D676487.jpeg

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
I can see the splitter doing a lot of good for airflow management on that light a front end.
The rear has so much weight on it that not much if any aero aids should be needed for that end of the Goblin.