Rttoys’s track- ‘06 ss/sc #184

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ok, time to jump in on this. I have been following goblin for, what seems, a ton of years. After our legal bs got cleared here in Texas and things settled down from my house move, its time to play now. :cool:

i have been keeping a eye out for a doner for a few years now and pulled the trigger on a 06 ss/sc model. It was totaled in 2012, rebuilt somehow and kept on the road till it wouldn’t shift anymore. I saw it on CL for a good price, but I was hesitant about the trans issues. Hell, it could be anything. After a few text, I figured “what the hell”. I rented a car hauler and went to look at it. Kid selling it and he was up front about the issues. He jiggled the shifter and the levers moved on the trans, so I was pretty certain it was internal. :(. I offered him a bit lower price, to cover these expenses and he accepted it. . We pushed it on the car dolly and I headed home.

Once I got home, it just killed me to know what was wrong with the trans. some interweb search and some thinking, I tore into it the next day after work. Bam. The dowel pin on the shift lever on the trans, was broken. Sweet. I put a bolt and nut on it, and I had a drivable car for $1400.

This is where the journey begins.

edit 7/26/20
Here is an index of pages and posts that have notable tech.

Pg 1
1 intro
3 engine removal
9 tail light mod
16 pulling coolant hoses
Pg2
32 bcm wiring stuff
33 cluster and button panel assembly
35 radiator fan updates
37 And 39 fuel line mods
38 first start
40 rad hose mod
Pg3
41 rad hose mod
56 reverse light mod
Pg4
63 rear suspension
70 coolant reservoir mount
77 fuel tank rollover valve and ac compressor gut
Pg5
81 brake and clutch bleed
82-83 steering column
87-90 exhaust fab
91 shifter setup
93 race seats and mounts
97 park brake install
99 first drive
Pg6
101 first drive vid
113 alignment
Pg8
150 cup holder and grip tape
pg10
195 year update. Wheels, aero.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Tear down was simple, no major snags other than the front bumper was held on with whatever screws, nuts and bolt that were laying around. no biggie, this car served 2 kids through high school. It’s all good.

As I noted in another thread, instead of hoisting the engine and trans out of the car, simply raise the car off the engine/trans.

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Can't ask for a better start than that! Welcome to the 06 SC donor club.
Thanks. Sometimes, things just work out. :D
I see you like track time on motorcycles too. **** good bit of fun there. :cool: What tracks do you go to? What are you riding?

Murcielago311

What tracks do you go to? What are you riding?
I moved down to an r3 last year, to try to work on better lines and corner speed. Turns out little bikes are a blast.
I frequent Putnam in Indiana, NCM, and our humble local track gateway motorsports park. Would like to head your way some time when we're running out of good weather up here.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I want mine a little different. So to make mine a little different, I changed the lights. I’m going to use Honda Grom tail lights in a little different spot than the others. *hopefully* they won’t interfere with the engine. :oops: We will see.

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I moved down to an r3 last year, to try to work on better lines and corner speed. Turns out little bikes are a blast.
I frequent Putnam in Indiana, NCM, and our humble local track gateway motorsports park. Would like to head your way some time when we're running out of good weather up here.
I race a ninja 300. **** fun bike. It’s even more fun to do a regular track day and pass a liter bike on a 300. :eek: Once this beer flu thing passes, you need to come down and ride COTA. Hell if you come down,I’ll run with you and host. You might want a bigger bike for it though, a 300 is **** near fu throttle the whole time there. Any 600 or bigger is best there

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Russell: **** glad to get to know you as a Goblin friend. We are gonna have some fun here in Texas real soon!!!! :cool:

Ross

Goblin Guru
I sent it off to the powder coater and I have a bright safety yellow frame now. :oops:
One hour, and you have bought your donor, pulled the engine, bought your frame, had it powder coated.
Man you move fast. Looks good!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Russell: **** glad to get to know you as a Goblin friend. We are gonna have some fun here in Texas real soon!!!! :cool:
Same here man. I have been enjoying chatting and such, and your Family seems very nice. Can’t wait to get these things on the track.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
One hour, and you have bought your donor, pulled the engine, bought your frame, had it powder coated.
Man you move fast. Looks good!
Don’t forget, also making this thread. ;).

I bought the car back in January and picked up the goods from DF about 3 weeks ago. I figured there’s not much to report on a tear down that everyone has seen before, so I waited till I got to the building part of the journey to start the thread.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
So, we are not supposed to go anywhere and it’s a rainy day, so it’s work on the goblin time. I have been working on the wiring harness off and on for a while now. It’s not easy being colorblind and trying to figure out wire colors on a faded harness :( When my frustration gets too high, I have to take a brake. Anyways, I got a bit further, then my buddy showed up, so I had him help me pull the hoses through the frame.

The first one wasn’t too bad, until the end, Then it took some “effort”. :rolleyes: The second one fought us right off the get go. We tried a few different options, then decided to use our heads for more than just a hat rest and came up with a solution. We put the bolt in the end of the tube, slid a come-a-long on top and bam, done. :cool:

Attachments

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I see an old Honda XL. I have my dads original `78 XL 175 he got for his 15th birthday in my shed that I'll rebuild one day. When I was a kid we were starting it and the kick starter sheared off flush with the case. That was probably 17 years ago.

The wiring was easily my least favorite part of this whole project. Hats off to the guys that did their wiring before the newest video series and before information was so abundant on the forum.

I see a tractor in the background, should have used it. 7 seconds each side is all it took with a 50 horse JD 96in mower...

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I see an old Honda XL. I have my dads original `78 XL 175 he got for his 15th birthday in my shed that I'll rebuild one day. When I was a kid we were starting it and the kick starter sheared off flush with the case. That was probably 17 years ago.

The wiring was easily my least favorite part of this whole project. Hats off to the guys that did their wiring before the newest video series and before information was so abundant on the forum.

I see a tractor in the background, should have used it. 7 seconds each side is all it took with a 50 horse JD 96in mower...

yep. ‘78 XL100 I picked up a few months ago for next to nothing. It’s amazing how much stuff is still available for those. That thing runs and rides great and I don’t even think I have $500? In it :cool: they are a ton of fun and very easy to ride.

lol. We used the winch on my 4 wheeler on the second pull, but couldn’t get the frame to stay still, so the winch could do its job. :mad: The come a long, actually worked perfect. Almost no stress on anything.

Attachments

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Wow! That looks really good. I went from a Z50 to the XL175 was great to learn on.

I strapped my frame to the tree behind it. What you came up looks like it worked well.

Someone needs to start a thread on the different ways to pull the hoses, and sticky it.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

no way!!!!!!! o_O You could have pulled BOTH hoses at the same time with that!!!! :)