SACTX - Track - 07 SS/SC - Chassis #201

SACTX

Updated 12/13/20
9/13/21

I’m updating the first post in my log with the actual build specs and and any custom things that I did. If there is something on this list that you’d like more info on, please post or message me.

Thanks!!

Standard length track frame
Donor 2007 SS/SC 130k miles
Kit purchased 4/7/2020
Donor purchased 4/13/2020
Kit pickup 7/24/2020
First start 9/25/2020
First drive 10/12/2020
Registered 11/19/2020

Frame color: Prismatic colors Striker Gold Deluxe over Sparkle Silver
Body panel color: Hyundai 930233 Titanium Gray

Motor:
LSJ with stock internals
Tvs1320 with 2.9 pulley
OTTP BRFPS
60lb injectors
Dual pass endplate
ZZP phenolic spacer
OTTP oil cooler relocation plate
Dual Evil Energy (Amazon) 3”x12” oil coolers
Aftermarket coolant tank with “ghetto” shielded 15 psi pressure release
Intercooler filler neck/reservoir (Goodwin Racing https://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-2618.html)
Remote rollover vent with negative pressure valve to seal tank
ZZP shorty header
DF exhaust
Switched coolant and intercooler fan control
To come:
Custom 3” exhaust
Stage 2 cams
ATi overdrive harmonic balancer

Transmission:
New F35 with LSD
4.45 final drive
SouthBend stage 1 clutch
ZZP lightweight flywheel
Aluminum Shifter

Body:
RunCool hood louvers
Sealed footwell cover
NASA ducts with finished cutouts
6mm Alumalite full front floor with splitter and reverse scoop for intercooler
6mm Alumalite side splitters
PCI Racing 60” rear wing on DF supplied mounts
Full front windshield from 1/4” impact and scratch resistant plexiglass
Fabric roof (from Jason)
Front grill screen
Engine cover
Custom Side Scoops
Rear diffuser
Side Splitter skirts

To come:
More rear cooling

Interior:
Corbeau A4 seats
Corbeau sliding mounts

DF button panel
NRG 3-spoke suede steering wheel
NRG quick release with 3-6 bolt adapter
Footwell led lighting
Dual Aeroforce Guages
Front/rear motorcycle cameras (MotoWolf M6 Plus)
Boss audio 3 1/2” round headunit
Boss audio 4” 3-way front speakers
Power Acoustik 1 1/2” front tweeters
Rockville 10” powered sub
Noico 150 mil sound insulation on back firewall and footwells
BlackDiamond grip tape in footwell
Shimmed steering wheel (aligned with driver's seat) - https://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/adjusting-steering-wheel-alignment.1996/

Running gear:
18x11 Motegi Hypergram wheels
335/30 Toyo R888r tires
1 1/2” adapters 5x110-5x114.3
Brake balancer
Parking brake kit
EBC Yellow Stuff pads
225-475 progressive 10" front springs with DS403 shocks- 225-475 progressive 10” rear springs
Solid rear control arm bushings
Alignment specs to follow
Rear sway bar
To come:
A secret project for the rear control arms......

Last edited:

SACTX

Thank you Ross. I have been waiting a while!

The first lesson I’ve learned from y’all is that everything is in order until wrenches start turning.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The donor looks like it was very well taken care of and it sounds like you have a well thought out plan. June probably seems like it is so far away, but you will be making room for the frame and parts before you will know it. Get a label maker and make sure you label everything you disconnect. Good to have you in the Goblin family.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Welcome.

On your transmission issue, maybe you got lucky and its just the notorious broke roll pin on the shift linkage. Are you able to get it to go into any gear?

SACTX

I'm in the Spring/Woodlands area (Spring Trails) to be exact. My build will mostly be happening in my shop. 529 and Eldridge Area.

I've got a two car garage that's occupied...

On your transmission issue, maybe you got lucky and its just the notorious broke roll pin on the shift linkage. Are you able to get it to go into any gear?
It was sold with "transmission issues". After getting it, I think it's flywheel/clutch related. It's a F-35 marked FZ-555 (non-LSD).

We pushed it off the truck and you can hear something broken while it's rolling, in neutral and/or with the clutch pushed in. It runs and there's no noise. When running, there's not a bad shake or out of balance feeling.

The sound is like the turning clutch is picking up broken bits from the bottom of the housing and getting bound, then the car stops rolling. If you roll the car in the opposite direction about 6"-12", whatever bound up falls out and you can move it again. You can hear something fall against the housing metal on metal. This happens while running (it did almost kill the motor once) or not and with the clutch pushed or not. I can get it into first gear and get the car to move while holding it in gear. Cannot get it into reverse.

I don't know enough about the inner workings of a transmission. Pushing the clutch releases the transmission shafts, correct? I'm curious whether the sound of metal picking up broken pieces or dragging would happen in the transmission. If a gear disassembled itself, wouldn't it end up in the pan and not be able to be picked up? Please, if someone else knows what this is based on this description, please let me know.

Either way, I'll find out soon enough! Disassembly starts on Friday. I want to get it out ASAP so I can start the search for a new one if I need it.

Quick question about transmissions. Will the F35s from the turbo cars (HHR or Cobalt) bolt up to this on. I think it should but want to confirm.

Last edited:

WorkinMan55

I'm in the Spring/Woodlands area (Spring Trails) to be exact. My build will mostly be happening in my shop. 529 and Eldridge Area.

It was sold with "transmission issues". After getting it, I think it's flywheel/clutch related. It's a F-35 marked FZ-555 (non-LSD).

We pushed it off the truck and you can hear something broken while it's rolling, in neutral and/or with the clutch pushed in. It runs and there's no noise. When running, there's not a bad shake or out of balance feeling.

The sound is like the turning clutch is picking up broken bits from the bottom of the housing and getting bound, then the car stops rolling. If you roll the car in the opposite direction about 6"-12", whatever bound up falls out and you can move it again. You can hear something fall against the housing metal on metal. This happens while running (it did almost kill the motor once) or not and with the clutch pushed or not. I can get it into first gear and get the car to move while holding it in gear. Cannot get it into reverse.

I don't know enough about the inner workings of a transmission. Pushing the clutch releases the transmission shafts, correct? I'm curious whether the sound of metal picking up broken pieces or dragging would happen in the transmission. If a gear disassembled itself, wouldn't it end up in the pan and not be able to be picked up? Please, if someone else knows what this is based on this description, please let me know.

Either way, I'll find out soon enough! Disassembly starts on Friday. I want to get it out ASAP so I can start the search for a new one if I need it.

Quick question about transmissions. Will the F35s from the turbo cars (HHR or Cobalt) bolt up to this on. I think it should but want to confirm.
The only difference is the gearing. Your f35 should be a 4.05 and the turbo cars have a 3.82. They will bolt up no problem though.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru

sent you a PM

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
For seats I have ordered the Corbeau A4 seats with 5 point cam lock harnesses. I also got the Cobalt slide brackets and will figure out how to make those work. I know they’re going to be tight but I think I can make it happen. I am 5’7 and figured that adjustability would be a good thing to have in the future.
See our build for ideas on the sliders. We have them working in our car.

Start here:

Ross

Goblin Guru

Sounds like a broken clutch plate. Could be lots of things, but I know friends who have exploded clutches before... and it has these symptoms.

SACTX

Sounds like a broken clutch plate. Could be lots of things, but I know friends who have exploded clutches before... and it has these symptoms.
That's what I had in mind also. I've read about clutches losing springs and such. I figured it would sound like that.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Cool. It looks like your work is in our neck of the woods.

Mine is a ‘06 supercharged, so if you have any questions, maybe I can help. Hell, I may need for you to take a pic or 2 of some things I need. Let the fun begin.

Last edited:

SACTX

Wheels and seats made it in this week. Probably jumping the gun on this stuff because it will be sitting around for a while but it makes me feel good to get things checked off the list.

Day 1 tear down. 4 solid hours but I forgot my jackstands. Most of the front off and most of the interior stripped. Main fuse box and computers all out and safe. Got my workspace set up and some sort of organizational plan set up.

Next weekend I should have the entire front end disassembled, the engine out, and possibly have the wiring harness out. Then I will be able to determine whether I need a new transmission or just clutch and flywheel work.

It went a lot faster than I thought it would.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Great progress! Having those parts handy makes measurements for any modifications much easier and remind you of your end goal that they will look good in your new Goblin. :D

SACTX

Time for an update!

The donor is completely stripped. We finished it up today! What a great feeling of accomplishment on a tedious task. It’s amazing that I enjoyed it but didn’t like it :). This is the first time I’ve ever pulled an engine and transmission from a car. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a car down to the bones like this all at one time. Building is a lot different than taking apart.

It’s also about the little things you find. The bolts that hold the engine cover down over the coils were mostly stripped and corroded in. We ended up cutting them out. This car was from Florida so I’m guessing the salty air and possibly some water had caused a lot of the stuff to be hard to get off. I went ahead and ordered new hubs all the way around because they were rusted. I found them pretty cheap on Carparts.com. There were a lot of little things like that that I was not expecting to deal with.

The transmission ended up being trash. I think I have another one sourced with a LSD diff.

A lot of upgrade and other parts have come in and I have a bunch of stuff sitting on my desk ready to go. There are a lot of little projects in the planning stages.

Now onto cleaning, painting, maintenance, and the wiring harness. The harness is the part that I dread the most. Wish me luck!

Until next time.

Thanks

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ouch! That hole in tranny case is not good and appears to be in an inaccessible location to find until you had things mostly disassembled - sorry to see that. But from all bad things like this is an opportunity to make improvements. :)