Salvage Title Transfer?

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Has anyone transferred the salvage donor title into their name? I emailed Adam about this and he said it was unnecessary due to the rebuilt forms not needing one...

But I've already hit a snag. The large metal recycle facility in my area will not take the left overs without a title in my name.... pretty frustrating. What have you all done with the carcass after disassembly?

Johvans

Has anyone transferred the salvage donor title into their name? I emailed Adam about this and he said it was unnecessary due to the rebuilt forms not needing one...

But I've already hit a snag. The large metal recycle facility in my area will not take the left overs without a title in my name.... pretty frustrating. What have you all done with the carcass after disassembly?
I did. I took the salvage title to the DMV in my area and was told that I needed to mail a form and $8 to Austin and they would put it in my name. I offered it to my local shooting range and they are going to use the carcass for "training" purposes. I'm not sure if they mean using it as a "prop" or for shooting at. :eek:

When I was rebuilding motorcycles in another state the title in your name was always required for the vehicle inspection so I figured I would need it for this process as well. I guess I was wrong!

John

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Oh thats good news. $8 is absolutely worth it. I was worried there would be sales tax and additional registration fees.

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
The scrap yard to me locally did not even ask to see the salvage title lol.....

Nuker
We haven't scrapped any of our shells yet but the local salvage yard we talked to doesn't require the title either.

BAR-AIR

For what it is worth....
In NY make sure you pull the VIN plate and have them wreck the hull as scrap metal and not as an actual car. Otherwise it will show that the car has been destroyed and the VIN and Title are voided as per the DMV. (I don't know if that would be a problem when you have the finished Goblin inspected for a street legal registration -if you need to show where the parts came from?). That is what I was told by the scrap company. (Gave them a copy of the salvage title with it signed over, they needed to see it for legalities.)