Save Motor Mounts?

ZacMaster

About to drop the 2.4L NA engine tonight. Do I need to save the motor mounts?

(What mounts are included with the kit? What are these solid mounts I hear about? Extra?)

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
All four of the OEM motor mounts are rubber mounted. The kit car mounts the left and right sides to the frame using a solid mounting. The forward and aft mounts use the original motor mounts from the engine to the subframe. DF can supply, at an option, solid mounts to replace the forward and aft mount so all four are solid. This is recommended for anyone with higher output engines as it can put additional stress on the frame mounts when the OEM front and rear are used retained since they allow for flexing and the frame mounts do not.

Ross

Goblin Guru
All four of the OEM motor mounts are rubber mounted. The kit car mounts the left and right sides to the frame using a solid mounting. The forward and aft mounts use the original motor mounts from the engine to the subframe. DF can supply, at an option, solid mounts to replace the forward and aft mount so all four are solid. This is recommended for anyone with higher output engines as it can put additional stress on the frame mounts when the OEM front and rear are used retained since they allow for flexing and the frame mounts do not.
Dang, I didn't know that. I thought I had all four as rubber mount. Now I need to order the other 2 mounts as solid.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Another option for a more rigid mount is to remove the rubber isolators of the stock lower mounts and installing polyurethane ones.

Old rubber, full of holes.

New Prothane inserts, sans holes.
20190303_002805.jpg

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure they offer the solid mounts for his car. It is only for the SS/TC cars last time I asked. That motor trans combo looks exactly like my 2.2 n/a combo.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure they offer the solid mounts for his car. It is only for the SS/TC cars last time I asked. That motor trans combo looks exactly like my 2.2 n/a combo.
You may very well be correct about not being available for the NA engine. I do seem to remember something about that. Now I remember Lonny saying something about the N/A doesn't produce enough to warrant them.

But they are available for the SS/SC as well as the SS/TC. Ours is a SS/SC and we do have the solid mounts.