SC and E85

Iwanttogofast

I did a search first, and did not see where this has been addressed previously. Please forgive me if it has.

I'm wondering if any of you SS/SC Goblin guys running E85 have experimented with different spark plug heat ranges. According to what I'm seeing online, there is conflicting information regarding spark plug heat range recommendations for running E85.

My donor appears to have a Stage 2 installed, but I am not certain - as it is an auction car. It definitely has a ZZP 2.9 pulley and ZZP dual pass end plate. Not sure on the injectors yet, but several other bolt-ons, as well. Increased boost usually requires a colder plug, and I'm not yet sure how E85 affects spark plug heat range. I ordered and received the standard AC Delco Iridium Plugs (41-106), but am wondering now if that is the best choice for running an LSJ with a 2.9 pulley and E85.

Do you have any experience with a similar setup?

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
I did a search first, and did not see where this has been addressed previously. Please forgive me if it has.

I'm wondering if any of you SS/SC Goblin guys running E85 have experimented with different spark plug heat ranges. According to what I'm seeing online, there is conflicting information regarding spark plug heat range recommendations for running E85.

My donor appears to have a Stage 2 installed, but I am not certain - as it is an auction car. It definitely has a ZZP 2.9 pulley and ZZP dual pass end plate. Not sure on the injectors yet, but several other bolt-ons, as well. Increased boost usually requires a colder plug, and I'm not yet sure how E85 affects spark plug heat range. I ordered and received the standard AC Delco Iridium Plugs (41-106), but am wondering now if that is the best choice for running an LSJ with a 2.9 pulley and E85.

Do you have any experience with a similar setup?
I’m using NGK BKR7E plug , Gap 30
E 85 CORNFED
I can email you my build sheet from the Goblin I bought

Attachments

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Is the car set up to run E85? Tune, injectors, fuel pump etc? If it was already set up to run e85, would run an equivalent plug to what was in it already unless you know of a problem.

Iwanttogofast

Is the car set up to run E85? Tune, injectors, fuel pump etc? If it was already set up to run e85, would run an equivalent plug to what was in it already unless you know of a problem.
No, the donor was running 93 octane. I am converting to E85 in my Goblin. The donor did actually have the NGK BKR7E (#4644) plugs in it, but they're not Iridium. I think they're nickel(?).

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
What spark plug is sort of like the catch can discussion. There are all kinds of opinions. In my mind the extra heat from more power will be balanced out by the cooling effect of the E85. I would run the stock plugs to start with and check them after a few miles. The material is more of a matter of how long they will last, not performance.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
What's the reason for switching to E85? I considered it and sized my pump and injectors for it but then decided against it because the 9 gallon tank isn't going to last very long burning that much fuel.

Iwanttogofast

Because E85 is between 100-105 octane straight from the pump, allowing for a more aggressive tune. It also reduces combustion chamber temps, and keeps the fuel system cleaner. And it is readily available in Ohio, where I live - so I'm not at all concerned about filling up every 100+ miles of driving.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Because E85 is between 100-105 octane straight from the pump, allowing for a more aggressive tune. It also reduces combustion chamber temps, and keeps the fuel system cleaner. And it is readily available in Ohio, where I live - so I'm not at all concerned about filling up every 100+ miles of driving.
How much power are you trying to make? I'd recommend pump gas and meth injection over E85 so that you might be able to make it across town before having to fill up again. It's also not good for the fuel system when it sits with ethanol in it for any sort of extended period of time which is what a lot of these cars do.

Iwanttogofast

I'm trying to keep my build less complicated. I don't know much about methanol injection, but believe that it would require a separate fuel tank, fuel line, wiring, etc. I don't know if I want to go that route. Plus, having to find a source for methanol to have it available. And I don't know if the methanol is constant, or only comes in at WOT - but how many mpg do you get with a methanol add-on system?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Yeah I can attest that E85 gets horrid millage, My first goblin SS/SC I was running E85 and when I sold it did a one way trip 245miles to meet the buyer and we burned 22 gallons of E85 LOL.

Nuker-

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'm trying to keep my build less complicated. I don't know much about methanol injection, but believe that it would require a separate fuel tank, fuel line, wiring, etc. I don't know if I want to go that route. Plus, having to find a source for methanol to have it available. And I don't know if the methanol is constant, or only comes in at WOT - but how many mpg do you get with a methanol add-on system?
Take a look at the info on Snow Performance (now a part of Nitrous Express). This provides a good explanation of what water/meth injection is and how it can help with big HP forced induction motors like ours. I tagged into their 2.5 system - which is the one I am looking at - that is a variable system.

BTW, the water/meth does not add to the MPG, it is using gasoline that gets the MPG, and the water/meth is typically only active at WOT.

I agree with Fozda and Nuker the water/meth on 91/93 octane gas is a better solution for many of us who don't have ready access to E85 (it evaporates far too quickly out here in the desert to use). Each of us must decide what works best for our Goblin. :D