SC Goblin Questions

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
All, I have a few questions that have come up after watching videos. Waiting on my frame to be built sometime in the next few month, so I have nothing to do but watch videos, read posts and come up with silly things in my mind.

Is the stock Cobalt steering wheel reused or does a wheel come with in the kit?
Do we use the stock exhaust downpipe?
Is it worth getting the ZZP manifold?
On the SC engine, does the MAP sensor move?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The kit comes with a steering wheel.
The stock cast exhaust manifold is connected to the DF exhaust. No down pipe.
The shorty manifold looks nice (chrome vs cast). Easily added after you get it going.
The MAP sensors are mounted to the engine. So if your engine moves, so does the MAP sensors. No moving parts inside a MAP sensor.
One measure barometric pressure, the other measures intake manifold pressure.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I should have been more specific, do I need to move the MAF sensor wires on the engine. I’m mostly talking about the one before the SC inlet in the intake arm. Do I need to cut the wire out of the loom and re-tape?

Ross

Goblin Guru
I think you are talking about the MAF sensor. It moves to a new location but I don't remember having to cut the electrical on it.
The yellow circle is the MAF sensor, the green circles are the MAP sensors.
ember

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Ross is correct. Df provides a steering wheel and the stock exhaust manifold will be reused. BUT to be honest, a nice steering wheel with a quick release (Df upgrade) makes getting in and out a lot easier. The zzp header helps finish off the back end and helps with exhaust flow. These are 2 upgrades everyone should do.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Thanks everyone. We’re considering a few upgrades. ZZP Manifold, solid trans mount kit, stainless brake lines and quick release steering wheel kit are on the list.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I would do all of those. It’s a small increase in price over stock, but worth it in the end.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
I believe all kits come with solid trans mounts and stainless braided brake lines now, not sure if you were talking about ordering them with the kit or on your own. In either case, specifying them wouldn't be necessary.

neodied

I believe all kits come with solid trans mounts and stainless braided brake lines now, not sure if you were talking about ordering them with the kit or on your own. In either case, specifying them wouldn't be necessary.
If anyone can confirm this, that would ease my mind a bit. I've heard these two items mentioned several times as highly recommended.

One improvement to the store interface that might help people like me is if something is included by default in the new kits, but is available on the store for older kit retrofit, that it could have a note like "Included as a standard part of kits ordered after XX/YY/ZZ date".

Corgithulhu

To Ross' point about the MAF sensor - when I did my wiring last year, I followed Lonny's wiring videos and I had plenty of slack to plug the MAF connector up. If you find you can add a couple inches just to be safe, not going to hurt. You can always tie slack down.

Regarding the solid mounts - unless something changed, you will get them standard. I went back and looked at my option list (summer 2021/Chassis 318), and there is no option for the solid mounts, however I did receive solid lower powertrain mounts with my kit.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
If anyone can confirm this, that would ease my mind a bit. I've heard these two items mentioned several times as highly recommended.

One improvement to the store interface that might help people like me is if something is included by default in the new kits, but is available on the store for older kit retrofit, that it could have a note like "Included as a standard part of kits ordered after XX/YY/ZZ date".
Confirmed!