SC Heat exchange plumbing

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Maybe to help along with Lonny's pics, you can check out my pictures from my build log to see how the fan fits in there with the heat exchanger. There's some from the last few posts that show everything assembled on top of it too.

Anyone have the sizes of the 90 degree to pex fitting I need to swap these for 10AN is it by chance 3/4”?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Are you considering running -10AN lines for any real length. That is equal to 5/8 of tubing and I think that is too small. Pretty big difference to 3/4” tube or pex sizing. And then the AN fitting have a smaller diameter than that.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Are you considering running -10AN lines for any real length. That is equal to 5/8 of tubing and I think that is too small. Pretty big difference to 3/4” tube or pex sizing. And then the AN fitting have a smaller diameter than that.
I am actually reusing the heat exchanger for a oil cooler on my LSJ-T setup. I believe it’s 3/4 but not 100% certain. I will be running 2FT 10AN.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I am actually reusing the heat exchanger for a oil cooler on my LSJ-T setup. I believe it’s 3/4 but not 100% certain. I will be running 2FT 10AN.
10-4. That should be fine. I didn’t use the DF heat exchanger so can’t help there.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I'm also in the process of switching over to a Saab manifold and repurposing the heat exchanger for an oil cooler. I have an external oil cooler right now but it's not in a great spot to be effective so the heat exchanger up front will be perfect. I plan to run 10AN front to back but I haven't made it up front yet to figure out what size the fittings are.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Nearly 20ft of -10AN line, even for an oil cooler, seems like a lot. I would definitely want to have a pressure gauge on it to see what the pressure looks like. Since it's a positive displacement pump, it will still flow the same, but the pressure at the pump will be higher. I don't know at what point this becomes a problem, but at the very least it's robbing HP.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Nearly 20ft of -10AN line, even for an oil cooler, seems like a lot. I would definitely want to have a pressure gauge on it to see what the pressure looks like. Since it's a positive displacement pump, it will still flow the same, but the pressure at the pump will be higher. I don't know at what point this becomes a problem, but at the very least it's robbing HP.
I agree. If you want to cool the oil with the stock heat exchanger, I think I would add an electric coolant pump, and use the stock LSJ oil-to-coolant heat exchanger. The coolant pump speed could be controlled with a oil temperature based controller.

Wait a minute. Keep it simple. If your engine is generating too much heat from all your engine mods, then just add the front heat exchanger to the main coolant loop. The stock thermostat will keep the engine and oil at the correct temperatures, and your engine will have extra cooling capacity on both the engine coolant and oil.

If you want to add a few extra HP while controlling temperatures, maybe add an electric coolant pump and controller, and eliminate the chain driven stock pump, the pipe under the header, and the stock thermostat.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Ross, agree that the oil temperature operating range is crucial to the engine. @Gtstorey , @Fozda, this was discussed a while back:

Last edited:

95Blitz

I'm also in the process of switching over to a Saab manifold and repurposing the heat exchanger for an oil cooler. I have an external oil cooler right now but it's not in a great spot to be effective so the heat exchanger up front will be perfect. I plan to run 10AN front to back but I haven't made it up front yet to figure out what size the fittings are.
Is that the Saab manifold that ZZP sells?

95Blitz

Yes but they are out of stock so I got one from a junkyard and I'll have to modify it myself to make everything fit.
What model and years please sir? Looks like a 9-3 has it, I'm off to the nearest pull a part.... That has a Saab.

Last edited:

Fozda

Goblin Guru
What model and years please sir? Looks like a 9-3 has it, I'm off to the nearest pull a part.... That has a Saab.
IIRC it's 2004-2011. I couldn't find any local junkyards that had one so I got one from a junkyard off car-part.com for $100 shipped

95Blitz

IIRC it's 2004-2011. I couldn't find any local junkyards that had one so I got one from a junkyard off car-part.com for $100 shipped
A semi-local Pull A Part has a 2007 9-3 2.0 maybe the manifold is still on it(in it would be better). Is the exhaust manifold and turbo worth a look at while I'm there? would be just over 100 for the exhaust mani and turbo.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
A semi-local Pull A Part has a 2007 9-3 2.0 maybe the manifold is still on it(in it would be better). Is the exhaust manifold and turbo worth a look at while I'm there? would be just over 100 for the exhaust mani and turbo.
I'm not at all familiar with the turbo systems on that car but I'd assume it's all a direct bolt-on.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If your going through the trouble, pull the exhaust manifold and see if it's cracked in the twin scroll spacer on the output flange. If not, get it - new exhaust manifolds are $400+, if you can find them. Always good to have a spare one to use or pay it forward to another Goblin owner in need.

95Blitz

Oh yeah good idea, I wasn't even going to separate the turbo and manifold. Guess I need to and when I go bigger I could sell it dirt cheap to someone.. I like helping folks out. thanks for the idea Sasqwatch..

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
From what I can find through Dr. Google, it looks like the LK9 Saab turbo 2.0 uses the K04 turbocharger, so it should be a twin scroll exhaust manifold that will bolt up to an LNF/LHU/LDK for sure, LSJ most likely.

Ross

Goblin Guru
2007 Saab 9-3 Turbo Turbocharger OEM 78K Miles (LKQ~253356809)228.98Ebay
03-11 SAAB 9-3 93 SEDAN 2.0 TURBO ENGINE EXHAUST MANIFOLD45.15Ebay

I bought a Saab turbo and mainfold. It makes 210 hp in the Saab 9-3.
I was going to use it for my engine build, but decided it was too small for my objectives.

95Blitz

2007 Saab 9-3 Turbo Turbocharger OEM 78K Miles (LKQ~253356809)228.98Ebay
03-11 SAAB 9-3 93 SEDAN 2.0 TURBO ENGINE EXHAUST MANIFOLD45.15Ebay

I bought a Saab turbo and mainfold. It makes 210 hp in the Saab 9-3.
I was going to use it for my engine build, but decided it was too small for my objectives.
Well sounds like no reason to pull it. Unless someone wants it just let me know.. I'm going Sunday morning..