SC Rebuild

jamesm

Goblin Guru
As some of you know, I bought a '07 SS/SC a while back as an upgraded donor. I'm starting to plan out the rebuild and I'm looking for suggestions on potential upgrades or modifications.

I want to maintain the streetability since my wife enjoys cruising around the lake and backroads but I do want to have a little more oomf under the right pedal.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
My vote is to go turbo with a BW S252. It'll have good street characteristics with enough muscle up top to scratch your itch and the fun sounds to go along with it.

If you decide you need more, it's a fairly painless upgrade to an S256 or larger.

Also, don't discount the fun factor that comes with a higher Final Drive trans. It feels like a lot more immediate torque and generally speaking the drivability is better in gobs with higher final drives (imho)

Corgithulhu

I have the MU3 transmission from an '07, and I can confirm that it hits like a hammer from low RPM. Personally, I love the characteristics of the supercharger vs. a turbo, so I would say upgrade to the 2007 transmission or taller gear first, and see if that's enough for you.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I'm not 100% opposed to the turbo swap but I already have a supercharger so I'd like to use that if possible to keep the costs within budget.

I do have the 07 transmission and plan to swap it in when I put the new engine in.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
If you can find a gm stage 2 kit, it is a great mix of power vs drivability. It’s a 77.9mm (3.0”) pulley, with 40# (I think) injectors and GM programming. Great boost in power, but still smooth everywhere.

Oh and might as well get a dual pass side plate for the intake, you’ll need the extra intake cooling.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Supercharger with a pulley (and fuel injectors and probably a dual pass as Rttoys mentions) should get you within spitting distance of 250whp, which, combined with 0 lag, should be zippy enough. My plan's to get to that point and run around for a while and see if that scratches the itch enough to decide not to run a turbo and make stupid power.... we'll see.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I have the MU3 transmission from an '07, and I can confirm that it hits like a hammer from low RPM. Personally, I love the characteristics of the supercharger vs. a turbo, so I would say upgrade to the 2007 transmission or taller gear first, and see if that's enough for you.
Man I was not sure how I was going to like the turbo lag since my first goblin was SC, but the turbo spools so **** fast and with the 4.05 transmission this thing blows my first one out of the water!

Nuker-

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Man I was not sure how I was going to like the turbo lag since my first goblin was SC, but the turbo spools so **** fast and with the 4.05 transmission this thing blows my first one out of the water!

Nuker-
Turbo lag is just practicing delayed gratification………….

;)

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Turbo lag is just practicing delayed gratification………….

;)

Hahah it just so happens a 60 roll on the highway in 3rd your making full 22lb of boost so its like an instant rocket. Its caught me off guard a few times LOL

Nuker-

jamesm

Goblin Guru
So the pulley, injectors, and dual pass are definitely on the list.

Since I'm rebuilding the engine completely, should I be looking at upgraded pistons/rods? valves/springs? Different cams?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
So the pulley, injectors, and dual pass are definitely on the list.

Since I'm rebuilding the engine completely, should I be looking at upgraded pistons/rods? valves/springs? Different cams?

IIRC on my ss/sc it was a big deal to replace the timing chain guide bolt as the stock one is prone to breaking off and also the timing chain tensioner with the new version as the original one also was prone to failing.

Nuker-

Ross

Goblin Guru
You will need HP Tuners for the stock PCM, or go stand alone ECU software & hardware like Haltech, Holley, Microsquirt, etc.
You also want the maintenance items done first.
Doing the bottom end (forged pistons, connecting rods, balance shaft delete) will run you $1200 - $1800
Doing the top end (cams, valve springs, porting) will run you more.
Just spending time and money, and having fun doing it.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
@Ross I do have HP Tuners. Although I’ve not spent a lot of time in it yet.

I may have to plan for two phases. I want to target ~300-325hp but I don’t want to loose the ability to cruise in it. I’m willing to put some money in it but I can’t build a $10k engine…..

@Rttoys I have Toyo R888Rs on it right now.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
You can get close to 300hp with 2.7 pulley, 60# injectors and (aggressive) tune, while still being drivable. Over 300, you’ll need better cams and/or a TVS.

I need to dyno mine, but with 2.7 pulley, 60# injectors and a tune that could use a little tweaking, I probably have 260-270hp or so and it’s plenty drivable, plus a monster When need be.